What inspired you to buy Factorio?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
KatherineOfSky
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: What inspired you to buy Factorio?

Post by KatherineOfSky »

Flight wrote:I first saw the game on Steam with great reviews, but from the trailer it seemed to be too dense, complicated. I turned it down.

Maybe the trailer should show that you don't necessarily need to build something that big and that complex to actually make progress and have fun.
My experience was similar to Flight's.

A friend kept bugging me to look at Factorio, and when I went to the Steam page, I looked at the screenshots and video and was instantly overwhelmed. It looked like it was far far too complicated to play, TBH -- like you needed to have serious genius-level planning skills to build all those perfect and complex bases.

My friend kept on bugging me, and telling me to watch some videos, but I never watch people play on Youtube before I buy and try a game, since part of the fun is learning systems myself.

Eventually I think I came across some simpler screenshots... with conveyor belts... and it reminded me of Free Enterprise, (a very old game), so I thought I would give it a go.
Tutorials, wild playthroughs, and more! https://www.youtube.com/@KatherineOfSky

Mangledpork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mangledpork »

I saw Aavak playing it back in early 2014, then one day in April I'd just started my youtube channel when a dawn of war video corrupted, and I had an hour to throw together a new video and thought "Hey, that game Aavak played looked pretty cool, maybe I could give that a go". I did not sleep that night.

bitofabother
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by bitofabother »

I heard about the game from a coworker and was immediately thinking it looked pretty cool, so I started looking it up on Youtube, and found a bunch of Arumba playing, and then it's history.

cjmarsh
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by cjmarsh »

97% positive reviews on Steam.

I don't think I've ever seen a game with anything like that, and now that I've played Factorio I see why.

NoriSilverrage
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by NoriSilverrage »

So I'd seen the game's title mentioned a few times, but never really though anything of it. I was like, factory building? Sounds lame (I don't know why I thought this as I love Capitalism 2, KSP, Minecraft, other tycoon type games). So I really didn't look into it much. I think if I had actually given it a good look I would have been intrigued.

Anyway, so I was bored with the games I was playing and was going to get back into KSP. So I visited their modding forums and was stalking the Contract Configurator Dev (Nightingale) when I noticed he had a Nightingale plays factorio link in his sig. Seeing as how I really respect the guy for his excellent mod and many many helpful responses to my stupid posts, I watched a couple of his videos. I had no idea what was going on (he was doing bob's playthrough) but it looked quite intriguing. I didn't need much more then that video to convince me to buy it.

3 months later and I've somehow managed to average almost 5 hours a day in this game (I have a full time job, wife/kid). I think I might be getting too little sleep...

MrGrim
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrGrim »

I purchased immediately after seeing the most recent trailer (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVvXv1Z6EY8). That got me so damned excited I was tripping over myself to grab the CC.

I don't recall how I stumbled on it; probably stumbling around the steam store.

JoaoBernardino
Inserter
Inserter

Post by JoaoBernardino »

I follow Arumba on Youtube and saw he had some episodes about a game called Factorio, but the graphics looked very raw and I didn't see any episode for at least half a year (they still aren't my style to be honest, in particular the desert color scheme - I would like to see one day a cartoonish look MOD for it, it might make the game less intimidating visually for newbies)

One day the curiosity was stronger and I saw half a dozen of them and was immediately hooked!! This kind of building/organization/scale just ticks my mild OCD in all the right ways! LOL :D
I have thousands of hours put into the game in 6 months!!

(Just remembered It was the famous AAA Factorio series!!)
Last edited by JoaoBernardino on Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nom Nom Nom

purdueme91
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by purdueme91 »

quill18's let's play got me thinking about it. But the clincher was the demo on the website. That took away any remorse of spending $20 on an early access game that I might not like. Got hooked on the campaign (I think it took me a Saturday morning and afternoon). Bought the full version that night and started Sandbox mode and haven't been able to escape since.

TN_Creator
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TN_Creator »

Definitely, the trailer. It is freaking awsome. And the reviews.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

It'd been on my radar forever. I finished Darkest Dungeon (beat it 3 times, boo-yah) and No Man's Sky's delayed, so I had a Game Hole to fill. I looked through my Steam Watch List and remembered being intrigued but not totally sold by a very early version of it. I watched a couple YouTube let's plays and saw how much the game had improved since I last saw it. I bought it without hesitation.

Return to “General discussion”