Multiplayer

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
DeathStorm
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Multiplayer

Post by DeathStorm »

Hey Thomas and all the other of the Factorio Team,

I bought your game and now I'am nearly hooked to play the game. Also a Friend of mine.

Then we read that you spoke about a multiplayer mode in your old roadmap.
Now our questions are, is that still correct that you plan a MP Mode? When do you start with that? When do you plan to release it? Is there an option to beta test this mode?

Thank you so far for your game and hopefully for your answer

greetings
Christian

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Multiplayer

Post by SilverWarior »

Yes developers still plan on implementing multiplayer. They mentioned posibility that it might come with version 0.10.0 but this is not guaranted.
It all depends on how 0.9.x goes as it intorduced quite a lot of new features which might be updated and enhanced in next versions.

So a litle patience please!
We are all eagerly waiting to see how Multiplayer will look and feel in such game.

elkar
Inserter
Inserter

Post by elkar »

Just two dudes running around, would be enough for ton more fun. Imagine not to worry about fighting biters because your partner would do that... etc

Darthlawsuit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darthlawsuit »

Co-op should be done first due to balancing issues with PVP and this game still being in alpha stage with new features being added.

PVP alone could eat up all of the developers time. Multiplayer already eats up a ton of time as communication between machines is quite difficult.

MaxStrategy
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MaxStrategy »

The promised multiplayer is how I convinced 2 of my friends to buy it so far. Even just co-op would be awesome : )

Darthlawsuit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darthlawsuit »

MaxStrategy wrote:The promised multiplayer is how I convinced 2 of my friends to buy it so far. Even just co-op would be awesome : )
PVP is a task for beta, once new features stop being added and balancing/fixes are the main issue

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

We had some talks about the MP today and the result was that we will start working on the multiplayer after 0.9 is stable. But that most certainly doesn't mean that 0.10 will contain multiplayer even in its basic form. As mentioned before it will be a LOT of work to do all the necessary technical stuff, synchronization, determinism, etc. So we might have a couple of small releases in the meantime (little features, improved graphics, etc.). But yeah, it is coming :D

Hogweed
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hogweed »

That sounds like a lot of fun, but I dont favor PVP too much, Co-op sounds great, as people on a hostile world should be worrying about the biters, not each other. I always see other players in PVP who always dominate the game using some trick or cheat they learned. If you plan on doing PVP & Co-op, I hope you will keep them apart from each other.

Calico
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Calico »

Co-op, Co-op Co-op.....can't wait for it. My buddy and me spent hours on TS talking about our factory layouts, ressources, building outposts.... yadayadayada. A Co-op mode would finally allow us to build stuff together. It would be glorious! :mrgreen:

Pvp i don't really care about.... seems like a lot reworking on the entire game, not just the connection problems, networking, etc. Co-op seems a lot easier to do, with only some numbers tweaking needed for are enjoyable Co-op game that could last for a entire weekend.

When Co-Op arrives, i already have atleast 1-2 more buddys willing to try factorio.

LoSboccacc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by LoSboccacc »

how much people you plan multiplayer for? 2-8 or upward?

just because we might want more than setting laser to shoot anyone or noone (i.e. factions) if the scale is big enough

(I know, daydreaming)

DeathStorm
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by DeathStorm »

Hey that sounds so great. And Iam very about that Iam not the only one who wants the Co-Op.

I hope too, that the Co-Op will come earlier than later.

Nemoder
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Nemoder »

I've been looking forwad to multiplayer so much since the indiegogo campaign! Will there be a dedicated server? How will player death work, will they just respawn?

Noro
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Noro »

Still waiting for roadmap to be updated.

Sir Nick
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Sir Nick »

I for once do not see Factorio as a PVP multiplayer game. Compared to Minecraft (inevitable), a Factorio player is next to nothing without his factory. In Minecraft you require about 1 minute to get yourself a sword, a bit more for armour. But it does not require any infrastructure save a furnace (dirt... whoops, cobblestone cheap) and a crafting table (even cheaper). In Factorio, on the other hand, even for the pistol you require ammo. A LOT of ammo if you are to do any damage. Ammo requires a production line or at least a mine and a furnace.

Now, any production line in Factorio is EXTREMELY fragile. Especially against an opponent with half a brain cell more than a biter :D A single rocket to an important belt, and the factory grinds to a halt. Roboports, chests full of ammo, pipe-to-grounds leading to steam engines... power poles!!! A player pitted against another player would either have to shadow him, or protect EVERY possibly important building he has with something that can ward off a player. Literally everything. Yes, even that kilometer-long line of power poles leading to the sole outpost with copper remaining. And the whole railway from there to the base. And the trains. In the present setup it means walling everything you have with laser turrets. And even that might not be enough against a determined player in power armour.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

It has been always said, that multiplayer can currently mean only a coop like game.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Nemoder
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Nemoder »

I think you could still have competative play if it was made so players cant damage each other's buildings but instead race to get the highest tech. You could even have a 'pirate' alien that would attack whichever player didn't bribe them enough with certain materials. But really I'd be happy with just co-op play.

TGS
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TGS »

Hmm I'm not sure why people think 'pvp' is not possible. Sure the 'balance' will be off, but who says games have to be balanced? If you want balance... you and whomever you are going up against should define your own rules and respect them. Simply not letting an opposing player run up and mine your stuff and instead having to destroy them is really all that needs to be done imo. Don't worry about balance, the only reason you should ever worry about balance in a 'player vs player' game is when you want competitive play.

PVP does not equal competitive play. PvP can exist just fine without it needing to be fair or balanced imo.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Actually the tough part of the MP is solving the technical issues (determinism, client synchronization, network communication shenanigans, multiple players on the map, etc.). Then making a PvP or Coop modes will be the same amount of work.

I personally think the Coop is better suited for Factorio than PvP, mostly because of above mentioned balancing issues. But lets see. Once the technical aspects of MP are done there will be plenty of room for experiments. And for instance having a bit faster-paced games of teams with 4 vs. 4 or so does sound intriguing.

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immibis »

slpwnd wrote:Actually the tough part of the MP is solving the technical issues (determinism, client synchronization, network communication shenanigans, multiple players on the map, etc.). Then making a PvP or Coop modes will be the same amount of work.

I personally think the Coop is better suited for Factorio than PvP, mostly because of above mentioned balancing issues. But lets see. Once the technical aspects of MP are done there will be plenty of room for experiments. And for instance having a bit faster-paced games of teams with 4 vs. 4 or so does sound intriguing.
Also don't forget all the features you can't have if you have multiplayer. There's nothing currently in Factorio where it'd be a problem, but you might think of something in the future and think "Darn, this would be an awesome feature, but it won't work with multiplayer!". Maybe an entity that slows down time, for example.

Deathmage
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Deathmage »

Co-op would be the best but only if endgame biters where more of a threat, requiring two players to take down.(Or more :))
Hmmm, TIME TO MAKE A MOD!

Return to “General discussion”