Steam summer sale and factorio

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Steam summer sale and factorio

Post by Koub »

Well whatever the reason, a decision was taken by the people who have spent like 4 years working on this game. It's their full right, and there is no much point arguing endlessly and trying to find reasons why they should lower Factorio price during sales.

[Koub] Topic locked
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Steam summer sale and factorio

Post by Klonan »

siggboy wrote: Wube's stance on this ("the price is fixed at 20 at it will remain that way") is fine, but it's not better or worse than many other strategies. As far as I'm concerned they could even hold a daily auction for Factorio keys and display the current price on the home page for the game.

I'd also like to add that the game is not even finished yet. So when you pay for it, you couldn't even know the theoretical end "value" (if that was a thing), because "value" is being added with every patch. If we took this to the logical conclusion, with value being added almost daily, the price of the game should increase accordingly.
Or otherwise the late buyers could feel superior to the early buyers because they defininitely got more value when they bought compared to, say, early Kickstarter backers.
We might increase the price of the game as development continues, just as previously we have increased the price.

We don't agree with price promotions for a couple of reasons, but the main one is reselling:
  • We sell the game at a discount
  • Lots of people buy a lot of keys - Good right?
  • For the next 6 months our sales will be lower, as keys for the sale price are on the secondary market
Price promotions may be good, they give lots of sales and everyone thinks and assumes they are great for all parties involved. Maybe they are. But we are doing okay for now, and this is what we feel is good and fair for our players.
Sale or no sale, all we are aiming to do is make a great game that lots of people can enjoy.

Chito
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Will this game be in Steam sale?

Post by Chito »

I really like this game but right now i can't get 20€ to buy it. If Steam discounts at least 2-3€ i could buy it and probably more people will buy it.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Will this game be in Steam sale?

Post by DaveMcW »

The game is on sale right now, for 20€. When version 1.0 releases the price will go up.
Early Access FAQ wrote:Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?

“The price may be increased upon release from early access.”

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

The devs have stated numarous times : the game will never be discounted, but the price will probably raise as development gets finished.
If you want it cheap, buy it now :).

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by quinor »

€20 is super cheap for the amount of fun and time you'll have/spend with this game. Hundreds, maybe a thousand (I'm not joking!)

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

quinor wrote:€20 is super cheap for the amount of fun and time you'll have/spend with this game. Hundreds, maybe a thousand (I'm not joking!)
I got the game last April (nearly a year ago now), and have logged, according to steam, 784 hours so far, and may very well break 800 before it gets to a full year...and I'm not even close to done with the game.

Chito
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Chito »

Koub wrote:The devs have stated numarous times : the game will never be discounted, but the price will probably raise as development gets finished.
If you want it cheap, buy it now :).
Ok then, I'll try to save some money and try to buy it :)

Aramorgot
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Aramorgot »

I don't think you'll get lower than the $20 that it is now. If you really, really want it for less then you can wait till probably a big holiday sale across steam and hope Factorio is one of them lol

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Aramorgot wrote: If you really, really want it for less then you can wait till probably a big holiday sale across steam and hope Factorio is one of them lol
Hope you're not in a hurry like in "probably never gonna happen" :lol:

Kater-Pult
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Steam Sale

Post by Kater-Pult »

So basically you charge for your game less than its worth anyway so why dont participate in those Steam an GoG Sales ? I would like something like 0,5% discount (should be 1 cent) just to see this "Sale" banner on this game during a Sale. Is this even possible ?

I mean come on, you got a great game all that is needed now is some visibility.

joon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Steam Sale

Post by joon »

They have stated many times that they won't take part in any stream or other sales and I fully support them in that. The game has one of the highest ratings on Steam so they don't really need advertising tbh. It's already cheap for €20/$20 and they sold already 1 million copies, give Factorio to any other big game developer and they would make it 1.0 and €60 for sure. Got the game 3 years ago and are at a rate around 2 cent/hour with more than 1000 hours in it, is one of the best game I have ever played

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into previous "You can forget about Factorio Steam/GOG sales"
[Edit] btw, the older topic was locked, so the whole result is locked too.

Return to “General discussion”