Blue Belt to Furnace Ratio

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Tias
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Blue Belt to Furnace Ratio

Post by Tias »

I could never find the perfect Blue Belt/Elsectric Furnace ratio, so I tested it.
It requires 61 Electric/Steal Furnaces (or 122 Stone Furnaces), to completly smelt all the ore on a completly saturated blue belt.

TN_Creator
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Blue Belt to Furnace Ratio

Post by TN_Creator »

so 30 on each side? or a length of 61 with furnaces on both sides? but taht would make a lot of furnaces :D

Don_Camillo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Don_Camillo »

it's actually more, you need about 72 of steel/electric furnaces
https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... ce_ratios/
maybe you had the furnace buffer full

Blurb
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Blurb »

Gleaning the wiki, it's learned that a blue belt can transport 40 items per second (throughput, T).
Knowing that it takes 1.75 seconds for an electrical or steel furnace to process a piece of ore, we get 1/1.75 ore per second per furnace (production, P).
To process 40 ore per second, you would need 70 (= T/P) furnaces.

Going by dimensional analysis, this approach should be correct.

TN_Creator wrote:thanks :D

so 30 on each side? or a length of 61 with furnaces on both sides? but taht would make a lot of furnaces :D
It does not matter how the furnaces are arranged.

Peppe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Peppe »

Tias wrote:I could never find the perfect Blue Belt/Elsectric Furnace ratio, so I tested it.
It requires 61 Electric/Steal Furnaces (or 122 Stone Furnaces), to completly smelt all the ore on a completly saturated blue belt.
If you are only getting 61 you probably have a bottle neck somewhere in your system or are not compressing the blue belt.

I usually build 72, but technically 71 should be mathematically enough/correct.

Swadius
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Swadius »

I found that when I put the iron plates directly from the furnaces to the blue belt, the inserters would space them out a bit too much and the result would be the final furnaces near the iron output end are unable to unload properly. 36-48 is the max if you're using blue/green inserters directly onto the blue belt. Otherwise you're going to have to find a way to compress the iron as it comes onto the blue belt.

silverkitty23
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by silverkitty23 »

Swadius wrote:Otherwise you're going to have to find a way to compress the iron as it comes onto the blue belt.
this is only way I know of (36 furnaces on each side should compress it, if you can keep the ore coming)
compression.png
compression.png (552.22 KiB) Viewed 24394 times
I'm not sure what the numbers are if you put PM3s on the furnaces and SM3s in bacons in rows beside the furnaces - presumably less than 36 on each side, but I don't know how much less.

Swadius
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Swadius »

Is there a reason the inserters are not directly putting them into the splitters?

silverkitty23
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by silverkitty23 »

Probably not, I just don't personally like pointing inserters at/against turns, splitters, or undergrounds entrances/exits; but I think that's just an aesthetic preference. (I could be wrong, though - there might be a real difference)

Return to “General discussion”