Question about steam energy production

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Hogweed
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Question about steam energy production

Post by Hogweed »

Hi All,

I was wondering which way is the best to get the most productivity out of the steam engines. I watched some videos and most people seem to set up with the pump, then place the boilers right on that, then add the water pipes to the steam engines. I set it up where after the pump, I placed the water pipes, then 4-6 boilers then the steam engines. It would make sense to heat the water up closest to the steam engines, not between the water. I tried both ways, but I dont really see much difference. Does that matter?

Also, how can I get my Steam Engines at max proficiency? No matter how I set it up, they always run at around 50% to 70%. How can push them higher?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Question about steam energy production

Post by ssilk »

To the first: no.

Second: just added this
https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... etwork#FAQ
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Hogweed
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hogweed »

Awesome! Thank you - I will go over it in detail!

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immibis »

"Max performance" is how much power the steam engines can produce. It depends on the water temperature.
"Performance" is how much power they are producing right now.

If "Performance" is less than "max performance" then you don't need all the power you could be producing. This is a good thing. When you need more power, the performance will go up, and you won't need to build more steam engines (until the performance = max performance).

Hogweed
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hogweed »

Yes, that makes sense! I will keep an eye on that as i start to reach the maximum load they can handle. Thanks!

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immibis »

Also, remember that if you use laser turrets you want to have plenty of extra power. Laser turrets use a LOT of power when shooting constantly, and if you don't have enough power they'll have to wait to recharge between shots, so they'll take longer to kill the biters.

elkar
Inserter
Inserter

Post by elkar »

In my experience so far it seems that the number of boilers is about 1.3x more than number of steam engines to be able to keep water at 100° even when at 100% load.

And of course only two pumps for one pipe and max about 16 engines for one pipe.

ray4ever
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ray4ever »

Personally I'm going for rows of 1 pump, 14 boilers and 9 steam engines. Everything is running at100% efficiency.

metzyn
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by metzyn »

ray4ever wrote:Personally I'm going for rows of 1 pump, 14 boilers and 9 steam engines. Everything is running at100% efficiency.
How can you have 1 pump servicing 9 engines? Doesn't the lower water level decrease the maximum output? I have 1 pump servicing 6 engines and the water level is down to 9.5/10, and thus the engine can only output 95% of it's maximum output. Or am I misunderstanding?

Edit: For clarification, I have the 6 engines daisy-chained to the 1 pump. Not sure if this makes a difference.
Last edited by metzyn on Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Factorio Modder
Solar Expansion

ray4ever
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ray4ever »

Hmm. good question. At least I never noticed any decrease in the power output even though the water level isn't at 10. So I think that the maximum output is only dependent on the water temperature (has to be 100 for 100% efficiency).

liq3
Inserter
Inserter

Post by liq3 »

elkar wrote:In my experience so far it seems that the number of boilers is about 1.3x more than number of steam engines to be able to keep water at 100° even when at 100% load.

And of course only two pumps for one pipe and max about 16 engines for one pipe.
Yeh this is about right. I checked every number, and it'sseems to be exactly 1 1/3rd. If you take the number of steam engines you want, multiply it by 1.33, and then roundup, you get the exact number of boilers you need for maximum efficiency.

Return to “General discussion”