Has nothing to do now

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
halida
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Has nothing to do now

Post by halida »

After upgrade all the tech, setup all kinds of factory for auto produce items,
made a turret base near a big alien base, created a remote mining base with train station,
I found nothing to do now, looks like fun is over, any idea?

luarvic
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Has nothing to do now

Post by luarvic »

How about this: make 1000 rocket defences

halida
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by halida »

luarvic wrote:How about this: make 1000 rocket defences
This has no meaning.. not fun.

syneris
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by syneris »

halida wrote:
What would be fun?

TGS
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TGS »

halida wrote:
You've kind of defined your own problem, you need to create your own fun at this point. If you are incapable of doing that then yes, the game is no longer going to be fun for you. Go find another game to play until this one has more stuff to do. If you need a driven purpose to enjoy the game, and you've done it all. Game over. Not trying to be rude, it's just the truth. Most games have an end, this game can be open ended if you aren't goal driven. But it isn't minecraft, if you need those goals you are going to struggle after you've done 'it all'.

Zourin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zourin »

Congratulations, you won the game?

You can continue playing and see how big you can go, how many aliens you can purge, and how many natural resources you can exploit before it all collapses under its own weight. Grow a base to an empire, population: 1.
Or, you can start a new game, start from scratch, and see if you can win better, faster, more efficiently, perhaps under more difficult circumstances.

DRBLN
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DRBLN »

MODS!!!

Try F-mod
Dysoch mod
Industrio

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Currently I try to make a path in direction east. It's now about 5000 tiles (25 radar length), I take by train about 3-4 (?) minutes to come to that point. I need masses of weapons, because the nests get bigger and bigger. A nest with 1000 biters is nothing special. It is absolutely impossible to fight them without laser towers. I normally place 50-100 lasers at once and try to kick out all the spawners.
Well, I think a bit boring, despite from the logistic I need to support me with all the stuff I need, which is quite complicated over such long distances without signaling, what's really needed (perhaps I lay a smart wire), but what overwhelms me every time is the gigantic landscape. A lake which needs 1 minute to drive thru... A big forest. With the new biomes this looks overwhelming real.

I mean factorio should go more outside.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Zourin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zourin »

ssilk wrote:Currently I try to make a path in direction east. It's now about 5000 tiles (25 radar length), I take by train about 3-4 (?) minutes to come to that point. I need masses of weapons, because the nests get bigger and bigger. A nest with 1000 biters is nothing special. It is absolutely impossible to fight them without laser towers. I normally place 50-100 lasers at once and try to kick out all the spawners.
Well, I think a bit boring, despite from the logistic I need to support me with all the stuff I need, which is quite complicated over such long distances without signaling, what's really needed (perhaps I lay a smart wire), but what overwhelms me every time is the gigantic landscape. A lake which needs 1 minute to drive thru... A big forest. With the new biomes this looks overwhelming real.

I mean factorio should go more outside.
I've had a few comments and threads about being generally imprisoned in your starting area, especially on straight medium settings. The two big things I'm going to be looking for in the coming releases will be new-game starting-point standards and a tempering of spawners and worms so that expansion is more viable/encouraged in the early and early-mid game. Even without viable factory modules (now nerfed to oblivion), replay is rapidly declining simply 'cause I can't be bothered re-generating maps 5-10 times 'till I find one that is acceptible for starting the actual gameplay. The game generates a huge world to explore, claim, and generally establish borders with the Biters... but it's really not how the game plays.

I may never actually finish a map, as something of a pathological restarter. I get up to around the point of trains/logistic bots, get bored, go through the terrible experience of trying to fight biters/worms, get frustrated, and start over again. Right around the time I have to contend with the neighbors, I find the process a gruelling experience of what I'd become accustomed to as 'bad play' in other, similar games where there's an external threat that needs to be combatted. Turtling and offensive towering, specifically, i'm calling out as 'not fun' in an otherwise excellent and fun 'home game'.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Well, what I currently see is exactly this game after - let's say - locomotive. The locomotive only enables to create something far, far away.
What disturbs here is the pure number of villages. When I look on the map of that part everything is red. This is quite unnatural. A natural looking spread of native villages would be, that there are "center villages" and all other are expanding more or less concentric from that point. Which means, there are some big, big areas, which are completely free from biters. And other, smaller areas, which are condensed with nests. Look at a map and try to show only the streets and cities. This looks natural. The current random setup of biter villages not.

Given, that the villages are spreaded like that, we need also, that the resources are also much more spreaded. It would make sense to have large fields of resources, but only one or two sorts of resources atone point. But far away. 1 minute by train. This enables a completely new gameplay: you suddenly have enough resources (before you always had too less) and now the game is to bring all together, make it stable, and bring it to the needed places.

What we need for that is a kind of high range radar, or some type of explorer bot, which can explore up to 1000 tiles in one direction. We need that to find the resources. They may be far, far away.

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

If you've beaten the freeplay mode, try the challenge scenarios and campaigns. Or make up your own challenges. Start a map with low/low/low copper deposits and see how your strategies change.

Sedado77
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sedado77 »

ssilk wrote:What we need for that is a kind of high range radar, or some type of explorer bot, which can explore up to 1000 tiles in one direction. We need that to find the resources. They may be far, far away.
LOVE THE IDEA!!!! :)
Automated explorer that has X hp, and goes on and on in a straight line untill it dies or runs out of battery... that would be awesome!!

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Oh, and I've forgotten to add: we need something, which gives the "about direction" of the resources. Something like a detonator scanner: we need to dig some dynamite into the ground, connect all holes together (red or green wire) and they explode at the same time, when I give the right signal. A scanner reads the explosions and the echos and can say "there is something.

The first implementation could be just reveal randomly resources. But in a iteration I would like a simulation: how the explosions run through the stone and are reflected by the resources. Depending of angle, distance and number of explosions it is more or less exact. A good example is EVE online, which uses the same principle.

In the end I use that to know the about direction(s) where I need to explore.

halida
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by halida »

DRBLN wrote:MODS!!!

Try F-mod
Dysoch mod
Industrio
Yes! mod is fun, and good supplementation for the game. I like DyTech. (without hard bitters..)

halida
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by halida »

Summarize some way to make more fun after you "win":

- from DRBLN: using MODS!
- from ssilk: go through one direction, see how far you can get.
- from Zourin: imprisoned in your starting area.
- from sparr: Start a map with low/low/low copper deposits.

Maybe we can create a wiki page about this?

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

halida wrote:Maybe we can create a wiki page about this?
Hopefully the devs will give us a way to share map generation settings/seeds soon. Then that wiki page could include a single copy-able string of game settings and random seed, so that people could play challenges with the exact same map (similar to how the supply challenge scenario works now).

liq3
Inserter
Inserter

Post by liq3 »

You could start a 'deathworld' game. Normal/very big/very rich biters. Everything else normal. Goodluck. ;p

CherryKiss
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by CherryKiss »

and don't forget speed runs, trying to win ASAP!

Return to “General discussion”