Wood!

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Kim Jong Ugly
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Wood!

Post by Kim Jong Ugly »

So does anyone have any good speculation on what they could or will use wood for end game? It seems like a waste to not make it a big resource for end game.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Wood!

Post by ratchetfreak »

wood is one of those hit and miss resources. On some maps you are drowning in it and on others you are desperate for a single piece to get your first power pole.

unless there is a reliable way of getting wood no matter where you are then I don't think it'll get more use

Kim Jong Ugly
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Kim Jong Ugly »

Idk man it seems like there is too much of the resource for them to just make a throw away thing they should at least make some of the end game items need wood or make it so we can turn it into something usable.

Mullematsch
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mullematsch »

I set up my fuel belt which goes to all the trains in a way that it will first use wood. If there is no wood in the system it will use coal and if I have neither of those two it uses solid fuel. :)
Join me in my Factorio Let´s Play: https://www.youtube.com/user/Mulematsch

zytukin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by zytukin »

Mullematsch wrote:I set up my fuel belt which goes to all the trains in a way that it will first use wood. If there is no wood in the system it will use coal and if I have neither of those two it uses solid fuel. :)
I used to do that....until one of my trains ran out of fuel
I think it ended up with 1 stack and 1 piece of wood, and 1 piece of coal, when the chest used to stock fuel at the main station only had solid fuel in it.

starholme
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starholme »

Mullematsch wrote:I set up my fuel belt which goes to all the trains in a way that it will first use wood. If there is no wood in the system it will use coal and if I have neither of those two it uses solid fuel. :)
I generally set up one string of boilers that is allowed to run all the time (not just when the accumulators are empty, like my main steam plant). This set of boilers just has a requester chest requesting anything wooden that burns: small poles, raw wood, wood boards, wooden boxes. And a smart inserter that runs if there is more than 100 raw wood in the network.

So all my surplus wood just gets eaten up. Keeps the logistic net clean of small power poles/boxes/boards as well.

Mullematsch
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mullematsch »

zytukin wrote:
I used to do that....until one of my trains ran out of fuel
I think it ended up with 1 stack and 1 piece of wood, and 1 piece of coal, when the chest used to stock fuel at the main station only had solid fuel in it.
Never had issues with that. Usually the trains are completely filled with fuel after spending 10-15 sek at the station. And the fuel transport belt has for the most part just one item on it (wood if available, if not coal/solid fuel).

Join me in my Factorio Let´s Play: https://www.youtube.com/user/Mulematsch

taiiat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by taiiat »

could always go with the 'bog standard' and let people 'smelt' wood into Coal.
probably not 1:1, perhaps 3-5:1.

UndyingUndyne
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by UndyingUndyne »

Maybe if there was a way to automate wood gathering like you can with ores, there could be a justification for a use for wood other than for low-tier fuel and early power poles. Even with construction robots and a deconstruction planner, it takes a while to gather wood in amounts similar to what you can get from ore veins and electric miners.

taiiat
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by taiiat »

UndyingUndyne wrote:Maybe if there was a way to automate wood gathering like you can with ores, there could be a justification for a use for wood other than for low-tier fuel and early power poles.
it's available in lower volumes and densities than Ores, though. even if you could automate Woodcutting (which would be nice... it's pretty tedious, would be fine with a dumb robit that would roll forwards, cutting down trees in it's wake and stopping only when it hits something impassable, like water or Stone Walls), unless you get really unlucky with Ore placements, the Ores are just better, as you have much more fuel value in much, much, much lower area.

but it would certainly help.

Return to “General discussion”