So what's after the campaign?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
slowreflex
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

So what's after the campaign?

Post by slowreflex »

So, when you are done with the campaign, what next?

Do you just have fun making creative stuff while trying to hold off the aliens (if they are turned on)?

Is there some sort of competitive aspect where you challenge other players to build something the fastest? Is this an E-Sport?

Do you PvP with one of you being the human builder and one of you being the alien builder?

Is there a Factorio MMO where you exchange goods for money and there is a player controlled auction house? You have various quests around the universe that require you to acquire certain goods, either by making them or buying them?

Loving the campaign, but just wondering what the end-game is... now and in the future...

-slowreflex

GDL
Inserter
Inserter

Re: So what's after the campaign?

Post by GDL »

I'm "Trying" building a complete - nothing man made - factory.

Also, playing with trains but so far all I get is 'No path' Grrrr.

slowreflex
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by slowreflex »

GDL wrote:I'm "Trying" building a complete - nothing man made - factory.

Also, playing with trains but so far all I get is 'No path' Grrrr.
You should watch the YouTube video on trains if you haven't already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZiL7_vfJtQ

Evan_
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Evan_ »

slowreflex wrote:So, when you are done with the campaign, what next?
I'd say mods and multiplayer. Look for some servers in your region, check what mods they use, and join if you like 'em. It's much fun, especially if you manage to catch a restart and join from the beginning. It's currently mostly cooperative - pvp related mods doesn't seem fleshed out and easy to use.. or regulate. Guess that explains why I'm yet to see such server in my vicinity.

Though I'm biased. Finished the tutorial and jumped into MP, so yet to see the campaign. ;)
slowreflex wrote:Is there a Factorio MMO where you exchange goods for money and there is a player controlled auction house? You have various quests around the universe that require you to acquire certain goods, either by making them or buying them?

Loving the campaign, but just wondering what the end-game is... now and in the future...
Sadly not even close. Guess many would love to see huge Factorio maps with dozens of player-groups, doing trade, diplomacy and wars over the limited resources. Though keep in mind that release is far away, who knows what gets added to the game by than.

Lallante
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lallante »

Most people dont bother with the campaign at all - 60% of the fun is trying to launch the rocket starting from scratch on a custom game. The remaining 40% is doing the same with a tonne of mods (especially something like Bobs, Dytech or Marathon that make it much harder).

Griffon0129
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Griffon0129 »

I started off skipping all the tutorials and campaign but then was like what do I do, what is this, so I played 2 or 3 tutorials (which were boring, sorry, but still helpful) then went straight to custom game. Don't think I even completed the tutorial, but after 2 play throughs (launching rocket) with vanilla game I started using mods.

Yuoki is so far my favorite mods, FARL is also a extremely useful mod for just vanilla games, then RSO is also recommended by most people for harder/easier to get resources even in vanilla version (mostly used to make rail networks more useful since resources are farther away from spawn, but also in bigger quantities the further away they are).

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

A campaign ? what campaign ? XD
Never had time to give a try to the campaign tbh : free play is so good I didn't have the will to try the campaign :).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

TN_Creator
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TN_Creator »

I started with the campaign, and I think it is an important part of the game.

It's quite nice at the moment, the objective to build a car for example, is a very good motivation. I think there could be more levels.

When I finished it, I was a bit disapointed, but freeplay is really nice too!

The game could really have more mid-term objectives.

nobodx
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by nobodx »

With >65000 players (at least in theory) Factorio is a small mmo ;)

zytukin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by zytukin »

I never did the campaign, never even attempted it or the tutorials. Did some reading on the wiki when I couldn't figure something out on my own based on in-game info. Got the game and just jumped into a free play factory, and still working on the same factory some 400 hours later.

You could try to make the biggest factory imaginable. Constantly expanding it to make as many rockets as you can fast as possible.

Griffon0129
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Griffon0129 »

zytukin wrote:You could try to make the biggest factory imaginable. Constantly expanding it to make as many rockets as you can fast as possible.
That is true after the 1st rocket launch it does keep a running total of the number of rockets you've sent off. However I usually start a new game after rocket launch, part of the fun is starting from nothing, designing it around the new landscape, and exploring for the resources (especially with RSO).

I seen someone turned the water levels up to max and added mods to build bridges over the water as part of the challenge. It looked like a cool idea, the whole map was a bunch of islands so land management is also part of the design and trains were the only connections between the islands (can't find the post anymore but I might do that next).

Return to “General discussion”