MMO thrill

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Plop and run
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

MMO thrill

Post by Plop and run »

Why is everyone so thrilled by the incoming multiplayer?

I see Factorio as a puzzle. I mostly play it on paper. Why do you want a multiplayer puzzle? Or will the multiplayer be focused on war with biters? But biters seem such a small part of the game, just to add a bit of time pressure and to spice things up. To give you a reason for designing factories and researching. To give you a feedback about your progress.

This is my vision of the game, and it is obviously different from most players' vision. Care to share it with me?
Black blood of the factory

ludsoe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: MMO thrill

Post by ludsoe »

I don't imagine factorio would be a MMO. I mainly want multiplayer so i can play with a couple of my friends and work on a coop factory.

Copperfield
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Copperfield »

how does this multi player going to work then? is there any info about it?

Do you play coop or?

against eachother or 2v2 3v3 and so forth?

what's the deal here?

Darthlawsuit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darthlawsuit »

I want to build a factory along with a friend. Perhaps have battles over a claiming a resource. I have always wanted a multiplayer sim city and coop builder games is hard to find

Narnach
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Narnach »

I see coop multiplayer as a way to play the game together with someone else. That way you can build two bases at the same time and link them, or build together on one huge base.

It's like with Minecraft I guess. Alone it's okay, but it's great to share the experience.

A MMO would probably die in development because I don't think the team has the time and resources to spend to make that work.
Identity is cheap, reputation is priceless.

Let's Player over at https://youtube.com/narnach

TGS
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TGS »

Plop and run wrote:Why is everyone so thrilled by the incoming multiplayer?

I see Factorio as a puzzle. I mostly play it on paper. Why do you want a multiplayer puzzle? Or will the multiplayer be focused on war with biters? But biters seem such a small part of the game, just to add a bit of time pressure and to spice things up. To give you a reason for designing factories and researching. To give you a feedback about your progress.

This is my vision of the game, and it is obviously different from most players' vision. Care to share it with me?
I think you are looking at this entirely the wrong way for starters. You made it clear in your OP that YOU see it as a puzzle. YOU mostly play it on paper. Then you proceed to ask us why we want "a multiplayer puzzle" firstly... it isn't a puzzle to many people. To many people it's a simulation of sorts. To some it's just a fun sandbox. To some it's just a game. For some it can even be a fun sort of 'work'. Now ALL of those including the puzzle view point that you take, can be more enjoyable if done with other people. So I'm really not sure where your confusion comes from.

It seems to me that you might play it in a way that doesn't really warrant or lend itself well to multiplayer at all, which is fine. At least you don't seem to be one of those people that says they shouldn't do it. Simply because you yourself wouldn't play it.

Personally I see it being a potential 'mmo' simply through the virtue of the design. Will it be designed intentionally that way? No, will it happen? Possibly. Minecraft isn't an MMO, yet there are quite a few massive servers with 200-500+ concurrent user populations. That is the scope of an MMO. Now that all being said, I want multiplayer. Why? Because I believe that most games that function well in single player where time manipulation isn't a concern will also work and work well in multiplayer environments. Now that isn't everyones cup of tea I get that. But I would massively enjoy being able to have a persistent world server where people can go in and make their own factories and interact with factories of other players. Doesn't have to be in a PvP environment, but it doesn't have to be in a Co-Op environment either. Just the fun of being able to invite your friends to your world and show them around, or even have them tweak your factories or whatever. Factorio isn't Minecraft in that there isn't as much flexibility in terms of creativity because lets face it, Factorio is focused on factories. But that doesn't mean that it can't have great multiplayer sandbox goodness.

aussiegaylord
Inserter
Inserter

Post by aussiegaylord »

you may see it is a puzzle to be played out on paper and then tested in-game yet i find it a challenge. just think of all the opportunities that multiplier will open up. think of ultra-hard-core minecraft. the exact same concept can be applied to factorio. i look forward to the point when my friends and i can hop on and build massive factories together and fight over the limited space and resources that are available without getting destroyed by the biters. in the end it will be massive factories of war and fun and factory building to try and get ahead of the other group. building massive bases. EXPLORATION, EXCITEMENT, WAR - BATTLE AGAINST YOUR FRIENDS, WHO WILL BE TOP DOG. that sort of thing. friendly competition never hurt no-one

Return to “General discussion”