How I sort of wish this was a Warhammer 40k game

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
SiC
Inserter
Inserter

How I sort of wish this was a Warhammer 40k game

Post by SiC »

As I'm currently reading through the Horus Heresy, I find myself contemplating how close this game seems to be to representing the Mechanicum of Mars and how they build a single factory that spans an entire continent :D

I mean, all it would really need is sprites representing Mechanicum units and style of buildings. The Biters could be Tyranids, the player a stranded tech-priest... A small name-change of Factorio to Manufactorum... And imagine instead of Spidertron you would be able to build a Imperator-class Titan of such immense scale that you wouldn't even need to put guns on it, you'd just step on a Tyranid base and call it mission complete 8-) And gone would be the slight feeling of guilt of wiping out the native biters, because screw the Tyranids! Oh god, the glory! :D

This needs to be a mod lol.

SirFloIII
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: How I sort of wish this was a Warhammer 40k game

Post by SirFloIII »

to be honest, this sounds like a not impossible and neat mod idea.

Tepalus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tepalus »

Except the titan, you are right!

I also would like to see something like a grafic-mod for Warhammer 40k fans! The drones, the factory and the enemys fits perfect!

Only problem is the weakness of the biters at the moment^^ But probably this is okay if the swarm is away and they are just instinctive animals?
Factorio in a Nutshell
try and error, try and error, try and success
once again it is friday, once again i'm waiting for the news
hour for hour for hour it goes, where it stops nobody knows

Evan_
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Evan_ »

The beauty of the W40k universe is that it's soo vast. It's ridden with systems where imperial technology is present in one way or another, but it's origin is forgotten or got mythified during the millennia. So I can totally imagine the Biter Planet and the protagonist(s) being part of that universe without a mod. Of course a real chapter passing would probably just bombard the whole thing - not just because of the infestation, but for not saying the proper prayers to the Machine Spirit while facing Terra. :D

Though while we are at universes, Facorio rather made me feel like an Iteration X engineer from Mage: The Ascension, lost in a far corner of their Horizon Realm.

Mackowatosc
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mackowatosc »

Yeah, i double that - there really should be a 40K mod for factorio :) as for biters - low level tyranid (gaunts or something) would just be perfect for them.

Also, this would probably invite GW for a legal action :/

Mackowatosc
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mackowatosc »

Evan_ wrote:The beauty of the W40k universe is that it's soo vast. It's ridden with systems where imperial technology is present in one way or another, but it's origin is forgotten or got mythified during the millennia. So I can totally imagine the Biter Planet and the protagonist(s) being part of that universe without a mod. Of course a real chapter passing would probably just bombard the whole thing - not just because of the infestation, but for not saying the proper prayers to the Machine Spirit while facing Terra. :D

Though while we are at universes, Facorio rather made me feel like an Iteration X engineer from Mage: The Ascension, lost in a far corner of their Horizon Realm.
yeah. "you RESEARCHED something? tech heresy!". next thing you know, there's a nice cyclonic torpedo reentering the atmosphere.

SiC
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SiC »

Mackowatosc wrote:Yeah, i double that - there really should be a 40K mod for factorio :) as for biters - low level tyranid (gaunts or something) would just be perfect for them.

Also, this would probably invite GW for a legal action :/
I wouldn't think so. I think there's a huge number of WH40K mods out there. The only problem starts to arise when mod-makers are somehow earning money from that mod, since only Games Workshop is allowed to make money off of WH.

byronczimmer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by byronczimmer »

Please be very wary of invoking the name of Games Workshop Intellectual Property, especially Warhammer / Warhammer 40K.

They have very aggressive lawyers who protect their IP with the ferocity of a Templar.

They have successfully shut down mentions of Space Marines, fan-art re-skins of board and card games and PC "clones" of their Space Hulk game.

I strongly recommend against reskinning Factorio in the Warhammer 40K universe, as it may cause the developers undo anguish.

Tepalus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tepalus »

So GW is not that friendly to people, who wants to use their lore..understandable. But isn't it possible to re-design the factorio game (as a regular user) and give away the modification for free and like "under the table"?

A bit not that friendly for GW but not that bad to ruin the whole company GW.

I mean, factorio is just the platform for those people, who are modding it, so they can not be guilty IMO!

In the danger of beeing illegal...someone out there knows someone who has a friend who could possible have a cousin who has modded the game in the 40klook?
Factorio in a Nutshell

Mackowatosc
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mackowatosc »

byronczimmer wrote:Please be very wary of invoking the name of Games Workshop Intellectual Property, especially Warhammer / Warhammer 40K.

They have very aggressive lawyers who protect their IP with the ferocity of a Templar.

They have successfully shut down mentions of Space Marines, fan-art re-skins of board and card games and PC "clones" of their Space Hulk game.

I strongly recommend against reskinning Factorio in the Warhammer 40K universe, as it may cause the developers undo anguish.
That exactly. As a 40k model builder and player, ive seen too much good stuff blown up by GW to have that happen to Factorio. Shame TBH, but I can understand GW's stance as a IP holder (programmer by profession) myself.

Mackowatosc
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mackowatosc »

Tepalus wrote:I mean, factorio is just the platform for those people, who are modding it, so they can not be guilty IMO!
Well, let me put this this way - we had a semi-private facebook community shut down by facebook for GW's IP infringment, because someone posted photo of a 3d printed 28mm scale space marine model.

Tepalus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tepalus »

Mackowatosc wrote:
Tepalus wrote:I mean, factorio is just the platform for those people, who are modding it, so they can not be guilty IMO!
Well, let me put this this way - we had a semi-private facebook community shut down by facebook for GW's IP infringment, because someone posted photo of a 3d printed 28mm scale space marine model.
Sad...BUT Facebook was not shutted down, wasn't it? ;) Ehm, IMO, GW would fight the modder, not Factorio, wouldn't it? I don't know the laws myself but probably there is someone here, who knows the rules and laws.
Factorio in a Nutshell

Mackowatosc
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mackowatosc »

Tepalus wrote:Sad...BUT Facebook was not shutted down, wasn't it? ;) Ehm, IMO, GW would fight the modder, not Factorio, wouldn't it? I don't know the laws myself but probably there is someone here, who knows the rules and laws.
Jurisdiction dependent, you technically could sue a host site for enabling IP infringment. And you never know what a lawyer will go to, to win his case, if only there's a chance he will win and profit off of it in the process. Personally, I tend to err on the side of caution.

Tepalus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tepalus »

Well then, we must imaginate the story of the tech priest ourself and imaginate he's landed on an tyranidinfected planet...
Factorio in a Nutshell

byronczimmer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by byronczimmer »

Board Game Geek had to do a site-wide takedown of a LOT of GW IP in response to a free "print and play" game that included original artwork "inspired by" GW's lore.

*Site Wide*

And it changed the rules for all future updates/contributions to that site as well.

Please don't do this to Factorio, ever.

Tepalus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tepalus »

byronczimmer wrote:Board Game Geek had to do a site-wide takedown of a LOT of GW IP in response to a free "print and play" game that included original artwork "inspired by" GW's lore.

*Site Wide*

And it changed the rules for all future updates/contributions to that site as well.

Please don't do this to Factorio, ever.
well then, would've been great but yes, you are totally right...i really don't want factorio to be broke down by GW :/

But hey, if someone out there has a mod allready...i am free for testing stuff ;)
Factorio in a Nutshell

byronczimmer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by byronczimmer »

Tepalus wrote:But hey, if someone out there has a mod allready...i am free for testing stuff ;)
You clearly aren't getting it.

devilwarriors
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by devilwarriors »

byronczimmer wrote:You clearly aren't getting it.
he's getting it alright..

I also declare myself free to test any secret mod *wink wink*

Especially a Starcraft Zerg mod :P

Grazz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Grazz »

building and maintaining some automated titans to act as hunter killers to cleanse the planet of xenos sounds sooo much more satisfying than launching a satelite.

Return to “General discussion”