Thank you so very much

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
BuilderChimp
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Thank you so very much

Post by BuilderChimp »

This game just toppled the 24 year reign of the Civ franchise being my number one game(s) of all time (Civ 1, 2 and 5+BNW).

The pluses:
- No grinding
- Great scaling of materials and techs
- Tough aliens which makes late game payback soooo sweet!

The minuses:
- Would have liked to see upgrades to the car such as an armoured car with cannon :)
- Personal laser and discharge defence don't seem worth making
- Rocket defence is too cheap - my factories chuckle at the requirements by the time I get there

Things I would like to see added:
- Access to the water. A boat and bridges and maybe even land reclamation Dutch style :)
- Floors that replace the grass/sand/dirt layer so I can have designated areas in my factory
- Food and you have to make a huge stockpile for the end game (an additional requirement to rocket defence)
- Flying aliens, burrowers, swimmers etc as the game progresses so defence requirements constantly get harder

I would also like to see deep ores that must be prospected for and have special deep mines but I think I saw this was planned for already. The first time I hit the final countdown timer I was expecting (and very prepared for) an all-out final assault from the aliens but it never happened. I could have sworn I read somewhere that a final assault was supposed to happen. Perhaps my habit of constantly clearing out nearby alien settlements means that the assault never has time to reach me?

Really pumped to see the new pipes and oil and chemicals. The pipes could be handy for poly-tunnels and food processing plants too :)

Thanks to all those involved in making this game. It is truly exceptional.

BC.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Thank you so very much

Post by kovarex »

Hello,
as a big fan of civ series (but to be honest I played just 1 and 2) I'm honored a lot that you like this game as well.

We take most of the critics seriously, mainly:
  • Some kind of upgradable tank is really something that I can't imagine Factorio without :)
  • (Laser defense not good enough) That is question of balancing that might be little bit off, but we need to spend more time it in the end (with all the enemies and weapons + mechanics in place)
  • I believe that food upgrade might take place someday in the future, we would just need to have also other usages for big amounts of it. Maybe the player could plant oil plants, or he could use the food as exchange for creepers, or he could even breed his own creepers and use food for it. (Apart the suggested end game goal)
  • More variety of enemies (there is almost none atm) is planned, we have just different immediate priorities now (still mid alpha)
About the grinding, I probably know what you mean. We try the very risky way, that is very different than other game ways. Instead of forcing the player to do more and more repetitive tasks to finish the goal, we try to do the exact opposite.
We give the player more and more tools to skip it and concentrate on the creative part. We can give the player blueprints and deconstruction tools and automatic repair robots, because we are confident enough, that the game is bound with strategical thinking and planning enough to keep the player in the game even without the need for him to do these tasks manually. I hope we will be right :)

Have a nice day and stay tuned for the future updates, in one year we will have a great game :)

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

kovarex wrote:Have a nice day and stay tuned for the future updates, in one year we will have a magnificent game :)
FTFY. Already great.

(curses forum, for not having strikethrough!)
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

BuilderChimp
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by BuilderChimp »

Tanks sound like great fun. I was just thinking today that it might be fun to have a bulldozer to clear trees but then I remembered I had a shotgun :P

My fav combo in MK2 is 2 reactors, 2 big batteries, 3 legs and the rest shields and I don't really want for anything else. I would use the nightvision but it strained my eyes when playing on my crappy laptop so I got used to the nighttime without it.

Psycho0124
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Psycho0124 »

BuilderChimp wrote:Tanks sound like great fun. I was just thinking today that it might be fun to have a bulldozer to clear trees but then I remembered I had a shotgun :P
Hahaha. Yeah, shotgun is just perfect for bulldozing for rail lines and clearing off resource depots. I just wish the trees around the edges could heal over time. Those injured trees healthbars drive me nuts for some reason! I tried adding "healing_per_tick = 0.01" to the tree section in the entity file but it had no effect. :(

Return to “General discussion”