Challenging enemies

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
WhatTheDuck
Inserter
Inserter

Challenging enemies

Post by WhatTheDuck »

Hi Factorio community,

i have 35 in game hours in factorio and i love the game, but i miss challenging enemies. I know that a lot of mods exist but its hard to find one who is up to date. I started the last game with bobs mod (every module) + misantrophes but we only had 1 attack after 7 hours, i thought it would be more challenging but its way to easy (only the war/enemy part is to easy). Doesnt this to mods work together? Someone wrote in the forum that bobs mod increase the power of the enemies but that it also increase the towers much more, that sounds for me useless : (

Does someone know a good way or mod to improve the enemies, i would like if it would work with bobs mod, because i like that in bobs mod the ressources spawn far away from each other so you have to use trains. I heard Dytech warfare is really nice/hard but it doenst seem to be up to date.

Thx for help : )

Screenshot from my actual game
Picture 1 Image
Picture 2Image

zytukin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Challenging enemies

Post by zytukin »

Could pollute the hell out of the environment (ie, steam engines instead of solar power) to get Behemoth biters, spitters, and worms to spawn *a lot* more often.

WhatTheDuck
Inserter
Inserter

Post by WhatTheDuck »

i would like if the game could be hard by itself, not cause i make the biggest miss-plays ever. I want a challenge and not a way to provokate the aliens ^^

MalcolmCooks
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MalcolmCooks »

Is this your entire base? As I can see from your minimap, your pollution cloud is very small. Biters only attack when the pollution cloud touches their nests.
Can you post a screenshot of your map (m key) please?

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Yeah, he's using mods that reduce pollution. And then complaining that biters leave him alone. :P

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

What are the mods you're using ? Could you post your savegame so that we can see why you don't get attacked ?
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

WhatTheDuck
Inserter
Inserter

Post by WhatTheDuck »

I will upload the save game when I m at home and ofc I don't use mods who reduce the pollution, don't know why you say something like this.

I use all bob's mods, misanthrope and 2 or 3 little mods like trains for fuel and evolution rate gui

I already uploaded the map, it's in the second spoiler... I think I made something wrong with the spoilers

Edit: but would you say bobs + misanthrope is challenging? And it's only a problem with my game?

Lallante
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lallante »

Pollution is the single biggest driver of difficulty. Try the "no solar, no accumulators" challenge.

WhatTheDuck
Inserter
Inserter

Post by WhatTheDuck »

I m not sure, maybe I explained it wrong, but I don't want a no solar challenge, ice bucket or any other kind of challenge were I m supposed to do something stupid.
I want strong (not op) and aggressive enemies so I have to def my base really active against them. Factorio is a modable game and I would be happy when I could use this fact to improve my gameplay.
Btw. I didn't build a single solar panel in the actual game.
Misanthrope and bobs enemies/warfare sound exactly like the thing I was looking for, but I don't know why I doesn't get any and especially no strong attacks, did I expect it to early?
Hardcorio sounds also nice but it isn't up to date, like dytech.

prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by prg »

You're not accidentally playing in peaceful mode, right? /c game.local_player.print(tostring(game.peaceful_mode))
Automatic Belt (and pipe) Planner—Automate yet another aspect of constructing your factory!

starholme
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starholme »

Something funny going on with the biters stuck on the other side of the lake too it seems.

WhatTheDuck
Inserter
Inserter

Post by WhatTheDuck »

http://cloud.directupload.net/d59L

here is the save game, and no peaceful mode :D

and yes i know one base is on the other river side, but i think it should maybe be more than only one single base who attack me. Maybe i have wrong expectations, correct me if thats right :D. I think i will start a new game now with bobs + natural evolution

MalcolmCooks
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MalcolmCooks »

It's really just an "issue" with your pollution cloud. It's small enough that's it's not reaching any of the biter bases which is why you don't get attacked. I assume you are using mostly solar energy? Here's possibilities:
1) You are running a clean, small, efficient factory. Congratulations! You're playing the game well :lol:
2) It's a quirk of the map. I have noticed many worlds seem to have a prevailing wind direction that tends to blow pollution in a certain direction. (I don't know if this is actually true). Trees and water absorb pollution, so your pollution is being blown over the large lake and absorbed. Also, there happen to be no biter nests just outside the starting area. Lucky you!
3) One of the mods is indeed reducing pollution. Or, it could be an unintended consequence of two mods interacting. Try looking through the mod config files to see if there are any options like that.

I suggest you just try playing on a different map for a while and see if you have the same problems. Try setting the starting area size to small and see if that makes a difference, hopefully there will be nests closer to you.

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ghoulish »

Set the biter bases on very large, and starting area very small (map generator screen). You'll get more action sooner.
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

WhatTheDuck
Inserter
Inserter

Post by WhatTheDuck »

I started a new game without bobs mods (bobs enemies still in use) and natural enemies instead of misanthrope. We have very few trees now and got attacked after 5 minutes the first time, i m happy now :D.

I think the main Problem was that we build in a forest, in every direction we had a pollution absorbing area (forest and water).

We had no solar power or anything for good pollution, maybe a bug between different mods that our pollution was that low, maybe just the forest and ocean absorbed everything.

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lee_newsum »

have a look this maps
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3235
Attachments
Biters_Bite_Back_bob.zip
This one for BobMods
(2.62 MiB) Downloaded 77 times
Biters_Bite_Back.zip
(4.74 MiB) Downloaded 77 times

Targa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Targa »

If you only had one attack after 7 hours and are looking for a more aggressive enemy, I suggest trying Natural Evolution mod. Specifically, the Expansion module, which allows biters to create new bases faster than vanilla, as well as build them closer to your base, and wander farther from their homes. Using this mod you WILL get attacked, and most likely earlier than you expect. If you want your enemies to be a little more varied and perhaps a little more difficult, you could also try the Enemies module from that page.

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

If you're looking for more dangerous enemies, you can try my EMP Biters mod, which gives enemies the ability to temporarily disable your defensive structures.
It is compatible with Bob's enemies.

lokdie
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by lokdie »

On my map I am attacked almost constantly, generally with 10-30 turrets engaging the enemy at once. I have relied completely on steam power till just a few hours ago when I began to manufacture my eastward expansion. And I have been attacked fairly regularly once I made my first wall, It has not stopped. Of course my entire map is a desert with limited water sources and scarce trees. So the pollution has been immense, And I have no intention of stopping my mass polluting. I am the conqueror here, even If I have to massacre everything in sight to do it.

I'm also playing on vanilla with about 40-60 hours into the map, and it being my first ever map.

Return to “General discussion”