Will the Oil-Industry require a new world?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Algram
Inserter
Inserter

Will the Oil-Industry require a new world?

Post by Algram »

Well, this is basically my only question. Factorio is an awesome game and I played it countless hours so far (well, 29 to be exact).
But starting all over would kind of eliminate my motivation at this point..

BurnHard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Will the Oil-Industry require a new world?

Post by BurnHard »

Until the developers say something different, I think that will happen. It's still alpha and the map generator will add oil resources etc most certainly only in a new map.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

New parts of map will be generated by the new generator, so these will contain the oil for sure.
For the existing parts of map, well we might do custom migration, but I'm not sure we will find time for that.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hm. Some ideas:
- The old entities as mod? The player needs to activate the "0.8-kompatible-Mod" and can play as before...
- a better integration of maps and scenario: player can load a map in the map editor and edit himself, instead of doing things on command line and copy things around...
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Algram
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Algram »

It would already help, if you could take Blueprints of your old world and then migrate them over to the new world somehow (; Transfer of items would also be nice, but not neccesary..

BurnHard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BurnHard »

Algram wrote:It would already help, if you could take Blueprints of your old world and then migrate them over to the new world somehow (; ...
I was proposing something like that in the "Friday Facts #16"- Thread. A gamewide blueprint-library you could fill and maintain.

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =spellbook

Let's keep fingers crossed ;)

Darthlawsuit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darthlawsuit »

Save got deleted due to it being in app data, instead of being in my documents, so bring the new world on!

Please move savegames into my documents instead of a hidden folder, it is killer when backing up an entire computer and restoring it. This is the only game who's savegame is there.

FrozenOne
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FrozenOne »

If you want it portable you can always download a zip version instead of installer. Thats what i do. Actually, many games have stuff in appdata (like Minecraft keeps the whole game there and cant be changed). Making mess in documents wouldn't be good idea.

Darthlawsuit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darthlawsuit »

FrozenOne wrote:If you want it portable you can always download a zip version instead of installer. Thats what i do. Actually, many games have stuff in appdata (like Minecraft keeps the whole game there and cant be changed). Making mess in documents wouldn't be good idea.
Most of my games save in one of 3 places:
My Documents\My Games
My Documents\DevFolderName
Gameroot\Savegames

Appdata is one of the worst spots to save it. It is hard to setup a synchronization between computers to keep all save games consistent due to the hidden folders and restrictions placed on appdata for security. Just save it in "My Documents\My Games" then it would be easy to find and easy to backup.

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

FrozenOne wrote:like Minecraft keeps the whole game there and cant be changed)
Since the big launcher update one can customize where MC stores its stuff.

Though I agree, it seems rather weird to spread the data around. Call me old-school but I like it if games don't go outside their install directory :)

RawCode
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by RawCode »

and where you going to get old on old world?

FrozenOne
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FrozenOne »

None of the tens of games i have use the documents folder, and i really wouldnt like if one of them did. Yes i hate appdata too, because it's 3 parts, it's hidden and every app secretly makes mess there. As i have almost no free space on drive C (reserved for OS only) i really hate programs saving things outside of the folder and drive i fucking gave them. I really don't know who invented that putting saves into various random folders on system drive is a good idea.
(that minecraft, you can only specify profile folder (i did), but the game itself is still in appdata)

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

I hate it as well, but we need to do it this way by default because there are people with UAC who install to default folder (most of them I guess).
This is the reason, why we have the old fashioned zip package option.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

kovarex wrote:we have the old fashioned zip package option.
And I for one would like to commend you for keeping it an option.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

JackGruff
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JackGruff »

I don't really see the problem with where the game is installed or where saves are. User data should go with the user's profile. It's the same with Linux and other OS's. Every Windows user has the required NTFS rights to read/write to their own profile folder. UAC is only an issue during install, and that's one click.

But, for a program like Factorio, which is not at a stage where save breaking is minimal, you should just use the packages. That way you nicely keep your versions separate and with their own respective saves. Keeping save-compatibly means the devs end up working harder for something that doesn't push the game forward, this costs them money and hurts the game in long run. If you are concerned about having to restart, then you haven't played long enough!

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

In first place I think an OS-compatible behavior is most important. After that a way to keep two different versions in an easy usable way at the same time. And after that a way to save / load at configurable folders.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Psycho0124
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Psycho0124 »

n9103 wrote:
kovarex wrote:we have the old fashioned zip package option.
And I for one would like to commend you for keeping it an option.
Same here, it's much appreciated!
I still don't understand why anyone would prefer an installer when creating a folder and unpacking a zip gives you more control and takes far less time!
JackGruff wrote:Keeping save-compatibly means the devs end up working harder for something that doesn't push the game forward, this costs them money and hurts the game in long run. If you are concerned about having to restart, then you haven't played long enough!
This^
I'm sorry OP but Factorio is still in Alpha. It's a much more playable version than most other alphas out there but when playing any alpha release, you really should expect an occasional progress wipe as things progress.
I've done.. I dunno, a couple dozen starts in various versions so far. It's nice to have a clean slate to apply the new tricks I learned from the last play-though. Factorio has lots of replayability if you give it the chance.

Return to “General discussion”