[noob] clarificiation of crafting speed and smilting.

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
firefox
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[noob] clarificiation of crafting speed and smilting.

Post by firefox »

I have only have played a few hours of the game and enjoy it, but I still haven't figured out what the crafting speed of the assembly machines actually is, due to it being different for different materials and units and each assembly machine on the wiki doesn't actually say what crafting speed represents on a unit of time and how it effects crafting of the different materials and units. so what does the crafting speed actually mean and do. the same applies to smelting speed.

example
stone furnace smelting speed =0.5

smelting speed of iron ore is less than 1s but smelting of iron is around 15-20s.

BurnHard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [noob] clarificiation of crafting speed and smilting.

Post by BurnHard »

i have measured the smelting speed with 1,7 seconds for one piece of iron/copper ore with smelting speed 1 (one steel bar needs 8,5 seconds)
double the times for smelting speed 0.5 (smelting iron ore= 3,4 seconds)

For assembling machines the ingame tooltip seems to be correct, if a recipe need 20s to craft, and you have an assembling speed of one, it needs 20 seconds in that assembler, or 40 seconds in an assembler with speed 0,5

firefox
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by firefox »

okay so the crafting/smelting speed is just a division of the time to produce a one unit based on that units standard production time then, correct?

BurnHard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BurnHard »

firefox wrote:okay so the crafting/smelting speed is just a division of the time to produce a one unit based on that units standard production time then, correct?
crafting speed: yes
smelting speed: including the time-modifier I posted in my pevious post, yes

firefox
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by firefox »

BurnHard wrote:
firefox wrote:okay so the crafting/smelting speed is just a division of the time to produce a one unit based on that units standard production time then, correct?
crafting speed: yes
smelting speed: including the time-modifier I posted in my pevious post, yes
okay thank you for clearing that up for me.

BurnHard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BurnHard »

I am really hoping that in oncoming versions smelting and crafting speed etc will be unified, so that you can really easily compare, eg how much furnaces do I need for that production line.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

We have just added a tiny little feature that should help with the usability (and mostly to people starting with the game). Basically the recipe book will contain ALL the recipes that player or his machines can perform. The difference will be that the recipes the player can't do in hand (like smelting or soon-to-be fluid stuff) would be marked and in the tooltip you will see a list of machines where you can perform this recipe. This should prevent a classical confusion with the steel / stone brick - because you will see them in the list but in the tooltip it will show that they go into the different machine.
BurnHard wrote:I am really hoping that in oncoming versions smelting and crafting speed etc will be unified, so that you can really easily compare, eg how much furnaces do I need for that production line.
So with all the recipes in the same list it would only make sense that the times for the smelting / crafting are somehow unified.

Return to “General discussion”