Factorio Bandwidth Usage

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
NightmareInfinity
Inserter
Inserter

Factorio Bandwidth Usage

Post by NightmareInfinity »

How much bandwidth does Factorio use when playing? Id like to know because someone i know only has a limited amount of bandwidth and i want to know how long he can play and if he should even attempt. I'm basically asking how much does it use on average per second?
This is my Signature. There are others like it but this one is mine.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Factorio Bandwidth Usage

Post by DaveMcW »

None, if you play single player with updates turned off.

Multiplayer runs quite well on low bandwidth, though if you pay per megabyte it does add up.

The major bandwidth uses are the initial multiplayer map download, and new version updates.

NightmareInfinity
Inserter
Inserter

Post by NightmareInfinity »

DaveMcW wrote:None, if you play single player with updates turned off.

Multiplayer runs quite well on low bandwidth, though if you pay per megabyte it does add up.

The major bandwidth uses are the initial multiplayer map download, and new version updates.
I ment us playing multiplayer together. Mostly us playing together. Im only asking because he only has around 2GB per month on his phone with low latency but other than that he has satellite and i wanted to see if the game would be playable with satellite.
This is my Signature. There are others like it but this one is mine.

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

off the top of my head i would say somewhere in the range of 10s to 100s of kilobits per second. i can test it later at home and see what i get

starholme
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starholme »

I had a look at a game when playing, seems like well under 100kbps. If he has a higher monthly cap (or no cap) on satellite, you should give it a try. In my experience factorio handles high latency quite well. Just keep cranking up the latency till it runs smooth. Then you decide if the input lag is too bad. Fighting enemies may be rather unpleasant, but most of the base building will be almost as good as single player.

Return to “General discussion”