Level 3 Module Oddity

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Gouada
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Level 3 Module Oddity

Post by Gouada »

Hello everyone,
While setting up my module production I noticed that it takes five level 2 modules to make level 3 efficiency and productivity modules BUT only four level 2 speed modules to make a level 3 speed module.
Does anyone know why this is? It seems like a bug to me but I thought that I'd ask...
No, I'm not a piece of cheese! :D

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Level 3 Module Oddity

Post by Koub »

Yeah I noticed that strange asymmetry too from the start, without a clue on its origin or purpose :).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Number of tier 2 modules required for tier 3's inconsistant [Not a bug]

I'm not sure what the purpose of that is or why it was done that way in the first place, but the devs will have their reasons (that thread was actually moved by kovarex).
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Gouada
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Gouada »

Ok I understand that it's a balancing issue now but could the devs please explain their reasoning?
It is the point of a game forum to talk about and hopefully give ideas as to how to improve the game and maybe we can help with this asymmetry :)

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Gouada wrote:Ok I understand that it's a balancing issue now but could the devs please explain their reasoning?
It is the point of a game forum to talk about and hopefully give ideas as to how to improve the game and maybe we can help with this asymmetry :)
Obviously, one type of tier 3 module is 20% less awesome than another.

jurrehart
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by jurrehart »

A possible explanation could be that the efficiency module has no negative effects, as it only reduces energy consumption, whereas the other modules have negative effects also as they increased energy consumption and pollution.

RoddyVR
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by RoddyVR »

I think the only reason that makes sense is that except higher lvl modules there are no other recepies that require lvl 1 modules of any type other then speed (needed for lvl 3 assemblers and rocket stuff). so if you build the same setup of all 3 types, you will be constantly short on lvl 1 speed modules or have fewer lvl 3 speeds then the other kinds (if you use up speeds that would have gone into lvl 3s).

the way its set up, you can bluepring a production set up for one module type and use it the others (changing the recepies) and have a few lvl 1 speeds left over for "other uses" while using up all of the efficiency and production lvl 1s.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

I think the ultimate solution will be to make them more different. Having 3 identical recipes is boring.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

The true question is : why did the chicken cross the road ? ;)

We know it's WAI, there is no need of a rational explanation. :mrgreen:
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

The Phoenixian
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by The Phoenixian »

DaveMcW wrote:I think the ultimate solution will be to make them more different. Having 3 identical recipes is boring.
Hmmm, I foresee the first three levels of science packs being renamed to "high speed servos", "gantry mounted inserters"[or "rail mounted inserters"] and "programmable robotics packs" respectively and being used in the high end modules in various quantities, as well as other late game recipes.
The greatest gulf that we must leap is the gulf between each other's assumptions and conceptions. To argue fairly, we must reach consensus on the meanings and values of basic principles. -Thereisnosaurus

pib
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by pib »

This one doesn't bother me as much as the express tunnel belt, which does not require lubricant - in contrast to the regular express belt or splitter.

Gouada
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Gouada »

Good points everyone.
I started this topic just to see if there was any "official" explanation for the modules being priced differently; now I guess that it was just a choice that the devs made to help balance the game.

Return to “General discussion”