Considering to buy Factorio now (before steam release)

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Gazelle
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Considering to buy Factorio now (before steam release)

Post by Gazelle »

Hi factorio players!

I played the demo and I am considering to buy Factorio, because I really liked it. However, I am not sure yet which tier I should buy. I know you can upgrade later, but I prefer to do the buying process only once, so I wan't to pick the right want immediately.

I am doubting between the tiers:
-Transport Belt Repair Man
-Furnace Attendant

I like it when a game has a certain aim to go for, that is why I doubt about the extra scenario packs in the Furnace Attendant. Maybe I like these extra challenges.

However, as I do not know how long I will be playing this game as I get bored very easily I found 20 euro's a bit on the high side. (I know, this game seems awesome and reading the entries on this forum for a lot of people 20 euro's is certainly worth it, but sadly I get bored very easily and I often buy games I only play a couple of hours, so I buy a lot of games and really have to look at the price of them carefully)

The other thing I want to consider is that the game is going to steam in February I read. But which version will that be? The version with the scenario pack or not? Or will there be different steam versions? I know you get a steam key no matter which tier I buy now, but is it the case that people with a more expensive tier get a different steam game? And is this key guaranteed? I read some time ago that steam normally does not like the "give a free key to people that bought the alpha/beta outside steam already"

I do not want to wait for steam, because I really want to play this game now as I still have holidays so I have a lot of time for learning the game. I am not scared of the learning curve, I love complex games.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Considering to buy Factorio now (before steam release)

Post by Koub »

Well ... I first bought the basic tier. But after a few hundreds hours of gameplay, I upgraded to the last one. Not to get the extra scenarii, because I was not interested in additional scenarii, just because I felt the game and its devs deserved that additional money. This is just my personal opinion though.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

joon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by joon »

I did the exact same thing as Koub. It's such an awesome game. The care the devs take to polish the game and listen to the community is outstanding. If you would give this game to other companies they would have made it 1.0 already by now.

I think version 0.13 will be used for steam but I'm not entirely sure on that because 0.13 is not released as experimental yet for finding bugs. Also think that they don't give extra perks because you bought it on steam besides maybe steam achievements. Probably best to keep an eye out for the Friday Facts for more information.

Gazelle
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Gazelle »

Thank you for the replies. I think I will go for the basic tier then. If I like it I can upgrade later. Still I am a bit wondering how this upgrading thing will work with steam. Maybe each tier is a different version which means you have to pay the complete price again if I want the game with the scenario pack on steam?

So basically I am wondering if there will be multiple versions on steam (for each tier a version?).

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

I don't know how the steam release is going to work but I doubt they put multiple versions on steam. My guess is that it will be the basic tier with the Furnace Attendant as a dlc.
If I understood the devs correctly you can buy the game on the website and later upgrade to Furnace Attendant, and then get the same deal on steam via key.

TBH I don't recommend the Mining Drill Operator tier because to support the devs I think it's more productive to buy a second copy (same price as the upgrade) and gift it to a friend, who can then enjoy it himself and recommend it further.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Gazelle
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Gazelle »

Thanks for all your input. I bought the basic tier and will see later if I want to upgrade.

Off course, if I really enjoy the game then the game is probably worth much more than 15 euro's. But I do not know that yet so that is why I asked all these questions. I know it is only 15 euro's, but I buy too many games that I do not really play in the end. Therefore, I want to be more selective when I buy games.

Return to “General discussion”