Not a bug, but looks weird

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Ardagan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Not a bug, but looks weird

Post by Ardagan »

Just to share a useless info.

Posture: I had to pick up provider chest with 6k Iron Gear Wheels inside.
Result: Game frose for half a min. Had all around covered in gears...

Ardagan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Not a bug, but looks weird

Post by Ardagan »

found work around though. I can destroy chest...

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

yep, it's used to prevent the gears from disappearing (it fits as many as possible in your inventory first). You could have probably used a requester chest to move them first, or done so manually, but yes destroying also works if you do not need to keep them :)
<I'm really not active any more so these may not be up to date>
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- My Factorio Modding Guide
- Wiki Modding Guide
Feel free to pm me :)
Or drop into #factorio on irc.esper.net

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

We are planning to do something about this.
Either not allowing to mine it in such a situation or the dropped items would be dropped in stacks, so there are not so many of these.

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

Stacks would make sense to me, after all just think of a giant hill of resources being unleashed from some strange space-compression chest :)

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

All in all it shows a special problem: It should not lag, even when so much item objects get spawned. Stacks could bypass this problem, but it's like install a bigger tank if your car suddenly starts to consume 50 litres per 100 kilometers. ^^
I don't know the source code, but I think estimate where the item will be placed use this much ressources.
"Hey Factorio, please create an iron plate and place it at the coordinates xx, yy, and zz. If there's not enough space, just place it as close as possible." - "Okay! Well, no, there's no space. One place to the left? No. One place to the right? No. Two places to the left? No. [...] 20 places to the left? No. 20 places to the right? Yes, I have placed the item!" - "Great. Hey Factorio, I have another iron plate you should place." - "Okay. One place to the left? No. One place to the right? No. [...] 20 places to the right? No. 21 places to the left? Yes!" - "Great. Hey Factorio, [...]"
And this "conversation" would have to be 6000 times repeated for every iron plate... Oh, and please tell me if my guess is accurate or if you already have a better way to spawn the items from a chest. I don't know if this problem is important or not, that's your decision, factorio staff. ^^

We still needs some kind of stacks. Collecting all the items from the ground is still pretty annoying. :)
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

Return to “General discussion”