running linux Factorio on an rpi

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
666JTK666
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

running linux Factorio on an rpi

Post by 666JTK666 »

can I run factorio on an rpi II+ ? is it even possible? Or mebby on a tablet.
My factorio addiction is leading me to want a mobile way to play the game. I was thinking of using a rooted android tablet then wiping android off of it and installing mint linux on the tablet then install factorio on it. with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: running linux Factorio on an rpi

Post by daniel34 »

Factorio won't run on a Raspberry Pi because it requires the x86/x64 architecture while the Pi and most other tablets/phones are built on ARM architecture.
There is also the discussion if it even has enough computing power / memory to run Factorio: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =5&t=17605
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

666JTK666
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by 666JTK666 »

ah ok my mistake was in assuming that the linux download was a source tar ball and that you did a make make install.
the linux download is a binary exe then.

oh well , I just really don't want to shell out a boat load of cash on a x86 laptop just to run factorio. I thought something like an arm sbc or tablet would do.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

666JTK666 wrote:ah ok my mistake was in assuming that the linux download was a source tar ball and that you did a make make install.
the linux download is a binary exe then.

oh well , I just really don't want to shell out a boat load of cash on a x86 laptop just to run factorio. I thought something like an arm sbc or tablet would do.
I do not think the game is open source, or the devs thought about non x86. There may even be optmizations that are targeted specific for x86 by now, so even if they do disclose the source (which I hardly doubt they would), I'm doubtful that it would compile, and even if it did, graphics would probably be an issue.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

The devs /have/ thought about ARM.

The conclusion was something around RPI being probably okay (for non-modded game server?), if they had ARM binaries.
Search keyword: ARM

Return to “General discussion”