Performance test: basic belts vs underground belts

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
voyta
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Performance test: basic belts vs underground belts

Post by voyta »

SpeedDaemon wrote:If you have FPS, you're not done yet!
Fixed that for you.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

I'm thinking about this lately. There are still possibilities to make Factorio run MUCH faster than now. The question is, is it worth to spend time on it now? Are there more just then very few people building big enough factories? The time can be also spent on different kind of improvements and features.

Piroko
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Piroko »

Finally took the time to register here after playing it for 8 months now~

I'd say it's worth to do incremental performance improvements along with the regular updates, to keep the game performance consistent even with increasing complexity. Unless it needs a major rewrite of core files, which I would put into the future. It's more important to do fairly regular feature updates with your impending Steam release in my humble opinion.

rk84
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by rk84 »

kovarex wrote:I'm thinking about this lately. There are still possibilities to make Factorio run MUCH faster than now. The question is, is it worth to spend time on it now? Are there more just then very few people building big enough factories? The time can be also spent on different kind of improvements and features.
When comparing to some steam games I have played. I think you are well in safeside. I mean some games make my laptop overheat very early that I don't know whether to cry or laugh.
Test mode
Searching Flashlight
[WIP]Fluid handling expansion
[WIP]PvP gamescript
[WIP]Rocket Express
Autofill: The torch has been pass to Nexela

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

kovarex wrote:I'm thinking about this lately. There are still possibilities to make Factorio run MUCH faster than now. The question is, is it worth to spend time on it now? Are there more just then very few people building big enough factories? The time can be also spent on different kind of improvements and features.
My opinion: Now we need more new features.

But this direction of building vast factories is sooo interesting, that it you come to it sooner or later.

The vision is here clear: Such a game goes into a direction of OpenTTD-like game, where - to whatever reason - things cannot be built/mined everywhere. Instead we have there "places", which have a big advantage (or the other places have a disadvantage, near to impossibility) in crafting stuff.

A key feature for this is the map-generator (see https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 80&t=13022 )
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I'd say that currently we need more features.

Most of those huge factories are now build for launching as many rockets as possible or simply for fun.

It would be nice if we had actual end game reason to build such huge factory (maybe with difficulty options to make it work with various play styles).

Return to “General discussion”