Logistic robots and chests

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Darthlawsuit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Logistic robots and chests

Post by Darthlawsuit »

Is there any way we can assign each storage chest to only accept certain material? It is annoying to get wood in with my iron plates then have my entire production chain stop because it is being fed wood instead of iron.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Logistic robots and chests

Post by Nova »

I think this is not possible for now, but i'm not sure. You can use smart inserters to stop getting wood from the chest.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Please take a look into this thread: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=5&t=1237

In short: storage chests are currently not so useable, because they have in the current form some disadvantages.

On the other hand they are not really needed. So changing this is of course low prio. Use provider and requester chest only is a good choice!

And in addition: with the limited area of the logistic bots now, I think, that the storage chests have become much more sense, but not that much, that it can be really recommended.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

TGS
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TGS »

As much as I understand your plight and annoyance, and I do. This really isn't needed. Between smart inserters that you can use to filter out unwanted materials (Or filter only wanted materials) an provider/requester chests as ssilk said there really isn't any need to have that functionality in chests as it can be quite easily provided via other means. If you only want a chest to have iron. Filter out anything else on that belt that might go to it. Or have it connected to your logistics network. And use requester chests to keep x production chain supplied.

rk84
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by rk84 »

I have not yet played much with new system, but I would try to use storage chest around roboports in hope of minimizing flight time of bots (when item is requested).
Test mode
Searching Flashlight
[WIP]Fluid handling expansion
[WIP]PvP gamescript
[WIP]Rocket Express
Autofill: The torch has been pass to Nexela

TGS
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TGS »

rk84 wrote:I have not yet played much with new system, but I would try to use storage chest around roboports in hope of minimizing flight time of bots (when item is requested).
Yeah, I see what you mean now tbh. The old system was... awkward and really didn't allow for any sort of control. The roboports seem to make the logistic networks a little bit more feasible. I guess for me it isn't so much an issue because storage chests imo don't need to be organised unless you are putting them all over the place. They are meant more as a means of stockpiling. Which when you start getting into massive numbers, you will need.

What I would really like as an adjustment to this system is that the requester chests could have an additional toggle option when selecting the item to be requested to for "Until filled". That way if you put in a request for 2k stone it will literally ONLY fill that chest with 2k stone at the time of that order and the amount of the order decreases until the order has been filled. That I think might solve a lot of the problems as the problems seem to be that you have to babysit the requester chests because the moment you request anything you seem to have an unlimited flow of whatever it is going into that chest. Or perhaps it should be the inverse. Where by default if you select 500 Stone they by default fill that 500 stone then goes about other tasks. But you could toggle 'Inf' for infinite filling of chunks of 500 stone. Essentially what it does now.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hm. The current function of a storage chest is to be filled, when a requester has items, which are not requested or emptied if no requested item is in a provider chest.

So the only sense for setting some filter for a storage chest is to set this filter for the whole chest. No limit. This enables the robots to place the item somewhere near the future need. But it doesn't make sense to store unlimited number of items. You always need to limit in any way and it will come in some of the next releases, that the logistic-network can be used for the smart inserter to limit the output of assemblies/furnaces. This makes some things a lot easier.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

ssilk wrote:You always need to limit in any way and it will come in some of the next releases, that the logistic-network can be used for the smart inserter to limit the output of assemblies/furnaces.
This is planned for the 0.9.

Return to “General discussion”