early expansion: how much to bring for bug hunting

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
LoSboccacc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

early expansion: how much to bring for bug hunting

Post by LoSboccacc »

So I started a new game with standard settings, and I have very limited iron in the starting area.

There is a juicy deposit near in the west, but it is protected by a small alien base. I'd need to clear them up asap, before running out of iron.
(sorry it was a night shot)
What should I bring? Which research is the most effective?

Currently I get near and the worms one shot me.

I am making steel to craft the second level armor, will that be enough with an assault rifle and piercing ammo? the fast enemy respawn will kill me if I survive the bloody worms.

Eruyaean
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: early expansion: how much to bring for bug hunting

Post by Eruyaean »

Looks like that's a big worm (as far as i can tell, i'm not playin this game for very long) so you will definitely have problems with your current tech. i'D recommend that cheap laserturret tactic (if you got them)

Edit: sorry, i just realized laser turrets prbably come waaay after 2nd level armor, so if that really IS a big worm, i'm all out of ideas.

Trucario
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Trucario »

the answer is easy, start a new game or go to another zone and start a new base.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

The only problem is the blue worm, I believe it should't spawn so nearby, you can also leave the base and make the transport around them and kill them later.

I would try either to kill it from the car with rockets or upgraded piercing bullets, or use few fighting robots as shooting targets or turrets crawl.

LoSboccacc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

early expansion: laser crawling ftw

Post by LoSboccacc »

by the time I got rocket other 3 bases spawned in the right side opposite to the base on top of iron

I am using whatever I can to defend - currently 3 group of 4 walled turrets of which just one in the back gets the ap ammo

will last as long as only small biter attacks.

I think this is the point I would make a gnarly comment, like 'there is a bit too much randomness in the starting area if the game swings between rushwin in 8 hours and being sieged until ammo lasts' but maybe it's just me not being good at the game.

will try to rush lasers now, I have coal to defend with, not iron.

edit:

I did it! the old technique of moving 5 lasers one square at a time; time consuming but worth the effort.

THE IRON IS MINEEEEEEEEEEEE

ahahahaah

there is a bigger base down west, so I converted the attack turrets to an hardpoint

Return to “General discussion”