How is the game? Newcomer here-Thanks!

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Xerath
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

How is the game? Newcomer here-Thanks!

Post by Xerath »

Hey everyone. I saw this game being recommended by the guy designing Rimworld, I thought I'd check it out! Honestly it looks really friggin cool. I'm a huge nut when it comes to a sense of progression, customization, and some kind of economy min/maxing.

What's everyones honest opinion on this game as of right now?

Also-Is there any chance of it becoming greenlit on steam? I'm sure there are a few posts on this board already about that but I'm tired from reading through scientific literature at the moment, so forgive me. I only ask because I'm not sure I can purchase it otherwise, as paypal has mucked up usage of my credit card.

How is the sense of progression? Do you make money-what do you do with it? Who do you interact with in the game? How many avenues of industry are there or is it all metal-->unrefined product --> product sort of deal?

Thanks guys! Looking forward to seeing if I can get my hands on this somehow.

syneris
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: How is the game? Newcomer here-Thanks!

Post by syneris »

There are a lot of good things I could say about the game and I honestly can't think of any bad. You are tired from reading so I'll skip it and go straight to: http://www.factorio.com/demo/stable

Coolthulhu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Coolthulhu »

Game is already lots of fun.
Sense of progression is a bit "quantized" at the moment. For example, early game goes through few phases:
  • Manual phase - you dig up ores and coal and put them in furnaces
  • Early electric - you set up simple and short furnace lines
  • Automatic - you set up simple factories and research things. Not much planning yet, but you can already start optimizing stuff
  • "Blue" research - you need to produce relatively expensive item in bulk to research stuff now. There's no way you can do it by hand effectively, you need a factory now.
Those phases are relatively distinct, despite using same set of mechanics.

You don't sell stuff. Most of the stuff you produce will either end up used (lab packs are consumed by labs to research) or as an ingredient of something more complex. I recall devs saying they will implement some sort of currency economy as a variant gameplay style.

I'm pretty sure it will get greenlit on steam. It's already a very playable game you can sink hours of your life into. It is also growing rather fast - in past few months many important gameplay changes were introduced, a bunch of new mechanics, bugfixes for experimental versions etc. If you compared 0.5 version to 7.5, you'd see a lot of differences.

Xerath
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Xerath »

Awesome, thank you for the review.

I'll have to download the demo and give it a try, I feel weird that everything feeds back into the same system, like I couldn't specialize if I wanted too.

Ah well-looks great though. I"ll report back later after trying the demo.

Return to “General discussion”