Trainnetwork; Left Handed Driving Or Right Handed Driving.

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.

Lefthanded driving with signals Inward.
33%
Righthanded driving with signals outward.
67%

Total votes: 106

Yttrium
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Yttrium »

I have seen a lot of people using both left handed and right handed driving, while there's no significant difference between the two I would like to know what is used more.

SirRichie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Trainnetwork; Left Handed Driving Or Right Handed Driving.

Post by SirRichie »

Right-handed driving. Reason for me: Used to this from driving a car, it thus comes more natural

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Reason for right handed is also that you have more space for signals and can create more useful network.

See https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =20#p96983

Moved also from show your creations to general discussion.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Gus_Smedstad
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Gus_Smedstad »

I've actually mixed the two. That is, I've create a train network that was primarily single-track, two way traffic, and the stations were more conventional one-way with either right or left hand signals depending on what was more convenient for the location.

In general, though, I prefer right-hand signals because the signals are then on the outside of the track, and interfere less with other track. Left-hand tends to generate more situations in intersections where you cannot place a signal because it would overlap another track segment.

zippy
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by zippy »

I'm confused. Shouldn't it be exactly the same either way? Left handed driving should be an exact mirror image of right handed driving. That would still put signals on the outside, as "outside" and "inside" have also been reversed. This thread seems to be suggesting that there's less room for signs beside the roads in England than there is in America because they drive on the other side of the road. They're exactly identical. I feel like I'm overlooking something obvious here (not unusual for me) but I can't figure out what...

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Obviously the answer is whatever direction the trains in your country travel.

Since the game was designed in the Czech Republic, a right-hand-drive country, right handed layouts are slightly more compact.

zippy
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by zippy »

DaveMcW wrote:Obviously the answer is whatever direction the trains in your country travel.

Since the game was designed in the Czech Republic, a right-hand-drive country, right handed layouts are slightly more compact.
I'm just having troubles visualizing this. What can you fit on the right side of the track that won't fit on the left side?

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

zippy wrote:
DaveMcW wrote:Obviously the answer is whatever direction the trains in your country travel.

I'm just having troubles visualizing this. What can you fit on the right side of the track that won't fit on the left side?
I think it's mainly about signals placement. It's a bit more compact when they are outside of track.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

zippy wrote:I'm confused. Shouldn't it be exactly the same either way? Left handed driving should be an exact mirror image of right handed driving.
It isn't. Signals in Factorio are always placed on the right side (for the driving direction) of the track. So for right handed driving, you could place the tracks side by side and still place signals, for left handed driving, you need a 2-tile gap between the tracks. (and also, as already stated, it may be slightly more likely to interfere in junctions as well)
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

zippy
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by zippy »

Boogieman14 wrote:
zippy wrote:I'm confused. Shouldn't it be exactly the same either way? Left handed driving should be an exact mirror image of right handed driving.
It isn't. Signals in Factorio are always placed on the right side (for the driving direction) of the track. So for right handed driving, you could place the tracks side by side and still place signals, for left handed driving, you need a 2-tile gap between the tracks. (and also, as already stated, it may be slightly more likely to interfere in junctions as well)
Ahh, that's where i was getting confused. Everything about a train design can be mirrored for driving in the other direction except signal placement, which has to go on the right side regardless of which direction you're driving... It's not about having enough room at all. Thanks for clearing that up!

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Not only the signal, also the train stops.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DerivePi »

Not sure how you guys do it in the old world, but here in the States we drive with both hands (unless with need to visually communicate with a driver who just cut us off) :D

Left side or right side, I think the rule is to just be consistent.

Bartimaeus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Bartimaeus »

DerivePi wrote:Not sure how you guys do it in the old world, but here in the States we drive with both hands (unless with need to visually communicate with a driver who just cut us off) :D

Left side or right side, I think the rule is to just be consistent.
Your comments are just pure gold :D :D :D

zytukin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by zytukin »

My trains are on the right, since I am in the US and we drive on the right.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

Glad I'm not some weirdo. I saw many YouTube videos where people drive on the left and it just seems wrong

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Surely Brits :lol:
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

No. I think they just preferred placing the signals inside. Maybe because it takes less space

piloto19hh
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by piloto19hh »

I prefer to drive on he right, but now I build tracks with the FARL mod and it places the signals to drive on the left... It's a bit annoying but, to be honest, I don't know how to change this :lol: And I've tried to.. You get used to it after a bit.

Berjiz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Berjiz »

piloto19hh wrote:I prefer to drive on he right, but now I build tracks with the FARL mod and it places the signals to drive on the left... It's a bit annoying but, to be honest, I don't know how to change this :lol: And I've tried to.. You get used to it after a bit.
Have you changed the blueprints? You know you can use others than the default?

ShizukaMiyuki
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ShizukaMiyuki »

I put my train signals inwards, therefor my trains are on the left handed, though... I'm not British nor European, and cars in my country are Right handed so yeah.. I guess I just got used to it... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I don't think it really matters, there's plenty of space for signals, it just depends on how you lay out your train network. b^.^d
Meow, Meow, Meooooow....

Return to “General discussion”