Let's say you have 8 colors of logic wires

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
bigyihsuan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Let's say you have 8 colors of logic wires

Post by bigyihsuan »

Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, black, and white colored wire.
All combinators can use all 8 colors.

How complex do you guys think the combinator contraptions would get?

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Let's say you have 8 colors of logic wires

Post by Adil »

Honestly? Not higher then they currently are.
I do mods. Modding wiki is friend, it teaches how to mod. Api docs is friend too...
I also update mods, some of them even work.
Recently I did a mod tutorial.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

The only reason we have 2 colors, is because combinators didn't exist and smart inserters needed more options.

Now that we have combinators 1 color is enough.

vampiricdust
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vampiricdust »

With the way combinators work, 2 works. Anything more is not really helpful. What we need is more inputs and magic functions.

Zhab
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zhab »

Well 2 cable colors is nice to have to isolate sections. It is kinda vital when you start using complex combinator logic gate shenanigans and reuse signal left and right and need to prevent cross section signal interferences. I was always able to do everything I need to do with 2 colors and simpler builds are fine with 1 color. I guess that having 1 or 2 extra colors would occasional make life easier by allowing you to be sloppy with your cabling. But if anything that would make builds more simple rather than more complex.

8 colors ? Now that is crazy talk. I can't imagine a situation where this would be useful even if being sloppy and lazy on purpose.
vampiricdust wrote:With the way combinators work, 2 works. Anything more is not really helpful. What we need is more inputs and magic functions.
We have the same building blocks that real computers are made with available to us. As such, every functions are already possible. But to have a powerful combinator build you need a lot of combinators organized in a complex manner.

What "magic functions" and more inputs would do is allow more powerful results with simpler builds. Which is not something I'm particularly against. Would definitively make combinator use less space. But it would not make combinator builds more complex.

What would allow us to do things that are not currently possible is allowing us to connect and control more things to the circuit network and 0.13 update is planning to do just that. With more connectable/controllable things at our finger tips, combinators builds are likely to increase in complexity.

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DerivePi »

a multi wire would be helpful for connecting multiple outposts back to the main base. Other than that, I think complicated wired connections are beyond most Factorio players and for the experienced, they are fairly cumbersome.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

DerivePi wrote:a multi wire would be helpful for connecting multiple outposts back to the main base. Other than that, I think complicated wired connections are beyond most Factorio players and for the experienced, they are fairly cumbersome.
You can get multiple outpost data using a selector,

send the outpost ID on signal 0 and have each outpost use a decider to test against signal 0 = ID and output "each" input count send that output back to the main base.

Zhab
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zhab »

ratchetfreak wrote:You can get multiple outpost data using a selector,

send the outpost ID on signal 0 and have each outpost use a decider to test against signal 0 = ID and output "each" input count send that output back to the main base.

Yes you can adapt real world shared medium networking protocols to send any signal from any local circuit to any other local circuit. I like to call that global network the internet.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Complex? Nah.

But think about the riddiculous power poles designed to hold 9 separate wires at a time.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I think what would be a really good idea would be to have multiplexers in the game.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiplexer

It would be so easy, if we could connect to the internal time: Take "Time" modulo "Number of Wires" and both sides are synchronized. So: A programmable timer device would also do the job.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

ssilk wrote:I think what would be a really good idea would be to have multiplexers in the game.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiplexer

It would be so easy, if we could connect to the internal time: Take "Time" modulo "Number of Wires" and both sides are synchronized. So: A programmable timer device would also do the job.
my tristate buffer design (simple a single decider with signal0 == ID and output everything input count) let's you create a 32bit address selector/mulitplexer

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Link?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

ssilk wrote:Link?
described here

Return to “General discussion”