Tool like AMIDST for Factorio?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
ps666
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Tool like AMIDST for Factorio?

Post by ps666 »

Hi,
is there a tool or a website out there that does what amidst for Minectraft does?
I mean, showing a map in a fast way?
Now i have to generate a sandbox map and fly around. But this lasts so long. Is there a faster way to explore a new map?
I hope you understand... :?

Talguy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Tool like AMIDST for Factorio?

Post by Talguy »

ps666 wrote:Hi,
is there a tool or a website out there that does what amidst for Minectraft does?
I mean, showing a map in a fast way?
Now i have to generate a sandbox map and fly around. But this lasts so long. Is there a faster way to explore a new map?
I hope you understand... :?
Nope, not really possible, the map is generated on the fly because it needs to be infinitely expandable. The best one could possible do is add a cheat radar (with a mod) to the game that reveals an area instantly. Then you can use factorio maps to generate a html map (google maps like).

Gandalf
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gandalf »

@Talguy Terrain in Minecraft is also generated dynamically. AMIDST uses the same generation algorithm to render a large maps of the biomes independently of an individual game save. The same principle could work without trouble for Factorio.
Though I don't think anybody has done it yet. Also I'm not quite sure if the precise algorithm is available or if it's hard coded into the game.
OS: Linux Mint 19 x64 | desktop: Awesome 4.2  |  Intel Core i5 8600k  |  16GB DDR4  |  NVidia GTX 1050 Ti (driver version: 410.104)    (2019-03)

SpeedDaemon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SpeedDaemon »

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

If you're just trying to get an overview of the map, you can use this console command from in-game:

Code: Select all

/c game.forces.player.chart(game.player.surface,{lefttop = {x = -500, y = -500}, rightbottom = {x = 500, y = 500}})
That will force-generate (can be slow) and reveal a rectangle bounded by the x/y co-ords.

Save before you do it, and you can re-load to "un-generate" it again.

ps666
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ps666 »

Thank´s! That´s great! It is much better then flying around. And with game speed increased to 10 or more it´ faster.
But from where should i know such things? Is that in the wiki?
Last edited by ps666 on Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SpeedDaemon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SpeedDaemon »

ps666 wrote:Thank´s! That´s great! It is much better then flying around. And with game speed increased to 10 or more it´ faster.
But from where should i now such things? Is that in the wiki?
There is a page for LUA commands in the wiki (https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... a_commands), but it's not entirely correct for .12 (the requirement for the game.player.surface argument for the above command isn't mentioned, for example).

Also, you can poke through the game's .lua files in data/base/ to get an idea of what you can fiddle with (check the map-settings.lua, for example).

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

SpeedDaemon wrote:
ps666 wrote:Thank´s! That´s great! It is much better then flying around. And with game speed increased to 10 or more it´ faster.
But from where should i now such things? Is that in the wiki?
There is a page for LUA commands in the wiki (https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... a_commands), but it's not entirely correct for .12 (the requirement for the game.player.surface argument for the above command isn't mentioned, for example).

Also, you can poke through the game's .lua files in data/base/ to get an idea of what you can fiddle with (check the map-settings.lua, for example).
You are welcome to correct the wiki. or mention such mistakes on the wiki section of the forum for someone else to fix.

Talguy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Talguy »

Awesome. Didn't know you could force the map generation like that. Is the -500 in tiles or is it in "sections"?
And in my understanding, if you reload and use the command again, you'll get a different map.

SpeedDaemon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SpeedDaemon »

Talguy wrote:Awesome. Didn't know you could force the map generation like that. Is the -500 in tiles or is it in "sections"?
And in my understanding, if you reload and use the command again, you'll get a different map.
Hm... I would have thought that since terrain features, resource patches, and biter nests cross chunk boundaries, their generation would have to be deterministic based on map seed. Resources and nests might be able to work around that, but not terrain.

The arguments to chart() are in tiles, so if you want a certain number of chunks, multiply that by 32.

Return to “General discussion”