What are your Factorio quirks?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
JoeSchmoe
Inserter
Inserter

Re: What are your Factorio quirks?

Post by JoeSchmoe »

I do not use the following hacks as they seem like cheating.

Splitter to Undergorund belt to split a belt.
Rail Wagon Car as a large storage chest.

Still waiting for the following in mod or vanilla mode. http://imgur.com/xWUDOyF

Xyfi
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Xyfi »

I'm always copying designs from youtubers along with a main bus, attempts to break this cycle have failed thus far :(.
JoeSchmoe wrote:Still waiting for the following in mod or vanilla mode. http://imgur.com/xWUDOyF
Why would you ever want that, if I may ask? There will always be some niche situations, but why is this so important to you personally?

Nugetto
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Nugetto »

oLaudix wrote:I often start whole game over when i figure out better way to build smth rather that deconstruct stuff i already have.
I do this sometimes, I swear it's because I'm just too lazy to take it all down.

Gus_Smedstad
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Gus_Smedstad »

Nugetto wrote: I do this sometimes, I swear it's because I'm just too lazy to take it all down.
That's the wonderful thing about construction bots, particularly now with personal roboports. I'll just mass deconstruct an entire area and design from scratch.

JoeSchmoe
Inserter
Inserter

Post by JoeSchmoe »

Xyfi wrote:
JoeSchmoe wrote:Still waiting for the following in mod or vanilla mode. http://imgur.com/xWUDOyF
Why would you ever want that, if I may ask? There will always be some niche situations, but why is this so important to you personally?
It truly splits a belt, without hacky tricks. I would imagine most times you are only giving it one belt of input. Left half outputs to one belt, right half outputs to another belt.

Darthlawsuit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darthlawsuit »

I mass produce thousands of every object just because. Then I have to expand my factory to handle ungodly amounts of train inputs and smelters to supply my overproducing factory.

Corbald
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Corbald »

I use the horribly inefficient "Main Bus" for the entire early game, until I get logistics bots... then I just dump the end of the Bus into provider chests, which depletes the entire Bus.... It's terrible, but I do it every time and I can't seem to stop! One day I'm going to get fed up and just deconstruct the entire thing. I can only imagine the horrors that'll cause... :/

Flux Faraday
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Flux Faraday »

Fun thread!

My quirk is I can't destroy trees. I have to harvest them which leads to dozens of chests full of wood until I finally start burning it in boilers. I've installed tree-farm-ac just to have more uses for wood.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

I tend to build my initial bases, what I like to call 'organically' (translation: belts with plates and circuits snaking their way through the base). This then grows until I have the entire oil chain up and running for my blue science. Then I'll drop in some provider chests to hook this science production into the logistics network (sometimes I'll have placed a bufferchest initially, other times this involves some refactoring). My oil production area usually ends up maze-like where it's mostly easier to just navigate around it completely. Once I have basic logistics researched, I tend to rapidly expand the factory and build a massive train station/storage/smelting area.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

Zourin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zourin »

My quirks?

I use 1:1 copper cable:green circuit setups.

I also put copper cables on belts in larger setups.

Why? Because I know that I just made some OCD guy in the world to flip-sh*t every time I do it.

Tinyboss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tinyboss »

I have to pick up every alien artifact, even if I've already got 30,000 of them in storage and I've researched everything except Follower Robot Count N+1.

GlassDeviant
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GlassDeviant »

Some of these are co-quirky with others, some are unique to myself:

1) Getting just the right start, even if I have to generate 100 games to do it.

2) Being super efficient at the start, especially when it comes to manual resource collection.

3) Never harvest living trees for wood, only snags (dead/fallen trees).

4) Never use a burner inserter.

5) Never do something manually if I can automate it, unless I only need 1 or very few (like tanks).

6) When replacing small, messy production clusters, always go massively overboard with room to add on more later; i.e.: when I replace my first couple of iron furnaces I replace it with 20+ in a double row with room to add at the end.

7) Massive material buffers. By the time I am several hours into the game I have huge buffers of ores and intermediate products consisting of hundreds of steel chests.

8) Little use for logistics bots, though I use construction bots till they can barely lift a grain of sand and have to be recycled.

9) Steam power setups must have room to move around. Underground pipes separate offshore pumps from boilers, boilers from steam engines and split the obligatory 10 steam engines into two banks of 5. Also, start has 12 regular pipe segments leading into 3 boilers for the first steam engine, so they can be replaced with boilders instead of having to fuss with rebulding the whole thing.

10) All resources of each type must be connected. All iron ore, copper ore, coal, you name it it has to be connected, at least until rail when *everything* becomes connected.

11) Not using a main bus drives me absolutely crazy. I blame Zisteau and his main bus videos on youtube. :)

12) Alien artifacts must be picked up. Anything else is just messy. Actually, everything else is messy, but at least I can clean up those alien artifacts.

And the one I forgot:

0) I cannot build anything on top of resource deposits (unless of course they have to be there, such as oil rigs or mines), they must be completely clearerd before anything goes there.
- GD

Sorry if my posts are becoming difficult to read, my typing ability is rapidly deteriorating due to a nerve disorder. I try to clean them up before posting but don't always get every last typo.

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

JoeSchmoe wrote:I do not use the following hacks as they seem like cheating.

Splitter to Undergorund belt to split a belt.
Rail Wagon Car as a large storage chest.

Still waiting for the following in mod or vanilla mode. http://imgur.com/xWUDOyF

Have a look at Smart Splitters https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=4822
With the unofficial update to .12 https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 20&t=16006

lyallp
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by lyallp »

Running Factorio with the Aliens in non-aggressive mode.

Then, running them and the spawners over with my tank to obtain the alien artifacts.

They don't bother attacking me and when the final spawner is destroyed, they all run to the nearest spawner, leading me to the next one :)

I do not have any automated defence gear like portable lasers, as the automated defence opens fire and then the aliens attack me!
Also, I do not open fire on them, as they will attack me if I open fire.

Of course, my portable robots have to spend a little time repairing my tank as simply running over the spawn points does deal damage, but the aliens themselves, ignore me :)
...Lyall

Jaridan
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Jaridan »

I always build a spinning circle, consisting of 4 belts (in a circle). It's fun when you are stuck crafting and just go onto it, and later on place like 3 burner mining drills on it :P

MalcolmCooks
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MalcolmCooks »

sgt_cookie wrote:I never do anything that requires power until I have my 15 boiler/10 steam engines running. I've watched LPs where people have a small 2-3 boiler 1 engine set up to do some rudimentary research, but I've never been able to "get" that.
I set up a single steam engine so I can start using electric inserters as soon as possible, because burner inserters are a pain to keep fueled, to research turrets as soon as possible because I have been caught unawares by early biter attacks before, and because later on it becomes a power supply for the electric drills supplying my second power plant, as a failsafe against the power spiral of doom :)

my quirks? I just don't use solar panels. And when I am starting to automate, instead of making loops or buses like some people I prefer to make self-contained factories for useful items using a minimum of belts. For example:
assembly machine factory.PNG
assembly machine factory.PNG (606.28 KiB) Viewed 5849 times

Return to “General discussion”