Side by Side Install 11.x / 12.x

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
666JTK666
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Side by Side Install 11.x / 12.x

Post by 666JTK666 »

When I installed factorio I installed it to "factorio 0.11.x" and now I have also made a full install to "factorio 0.12.x".
The idea was that I could then play either version of the game with out disturbing the other.
however on windows (8.1 don't know about other versions) both versions of the game look to the same location
/Users/UserName/AppData/Roaming/factorio

it would be super nice if with each patch branch the /Roaming/factorio directory would be like this /Roaming/factorio(version)
So something like this factorio011x or factorio012x or factorio 0.11.x or factorio 0.12.x or however you want the naming convention to be.
This would allow your current games with what ever mods you have installed to not crash the latest and greatest or be crashed by the latest and greatest :-)

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Side by Side Install 11.x / 12.x

Post by FishSandwich »

This is what the zip version is for. ;)

The zip version looks to the game's directory for saves, mods etc.

666JTK666
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by 666JTK666 »

Zip version? sorry I am not quite following.. where do I get it?
is there a howto somewhere ?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

666JTK666 wrote:Zip version? sorry I am not quite following.. where do I get it?
is there a howto somewhere ?
https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... tall_guide

(Which is not up-to-date, but better than nothing. :/ )
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Wyrm
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Wyrm »

FishSandwich wrote:This is what the zip version is for. ;)
And how does that work for people with Macs?

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

Wyrm wrote:
use the tar?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Cube has posted a doc about this.

Darthlawsuit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darthlawsuit »

Wyrm wrote:

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Oh, man! :roll:

This is what you are looking for

PS: I would be glad, if someone else can put this into the wiki. ;)

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Mac for gaming? Seriously? What are we in middle ages? Gees man, everyone knows that gaming uses PC master race. I had few olders macs myself, never ever ever EVER EVER again! Nope just nope, dude dump that fruit machine and get pc, i was 100x happier when i got rid of it.

Wyrm
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Wyrm »

cpy wrote:Mac for gaming? Seriously? What are we in middle ages? Gees man, everyone knows that gaming uses PC master race. I had few olders macs myself, never ever ever EVER EVER again! Nope just nope, dude dump that fruit machine and get pc, i was 100x happier when i got rid of it.
My machine virtualizes a Winbox, and that's only to play Touhou. Otherwise, I leave it in Mac mode whenever possible, because I otherwise hate Windows of every stripe.

TL;DR, NO.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

cpy wrote:Mac for gaming? Seriously? What are we in middle ages? Gees man, everyone knows that gaming uses PC master race. I had few olders macs myself, never ever ever EVER EVER again! Nope just nope, dude dump that fruit machine and get pc, i was 100x happier when i got rid of it.
Mac for this game is really ok. A bit faster than my PC. What really counts for Factorio is the CPU/Ram-Speed, not the GFX-card.

Really: Factorio on the Retina-Display is B E A U T I F U L.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

You can get "retina" display for pc too! They're called 4k. So that point is invalid.

starholme
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starholme »

I'm a die hard PC guy, Ubuntu/Windows dual boot all my machines. I love to tinker with my hardware, and I don't like the apple tax, so I doubt I will ever buy an apple product for my personal use.

On the other hand, you have to admit that apple tends to put together excellent equipment. The fit and finish are always amazing, they tend to go for excellent quality screens/keyboards. Support is good as well.

So while I don't expect to buy one for myself, I don't have any trouble recommending them to others. Lots of people have no interest in dismantling/upgrading/overclocking their computers. Lots of people are willing to pay the premium for a 'just works' system, with excellent integration across the apple ecosystem.

I wouldn't generally expect people to buy a mac for a high end gaming system, but that isn't really the market apple is trying to get anyway. And no, factorio does not require a high end gaming rig, it's so processor bound that graphics are almost an afterthought.

tldr; Nothing wrong with an apple for general computing and gaming, even if I too prefer a box I can work on myself.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

cpy wrote:You can get "retina" display for pc too! They're called 4k. So that point is invalid.
Ok. But I didn't want to make a point. :)
I use the MacBook for my work. And at home I have a PC. And Factorio looks better on the Mac and is a bit faster. That's what I wanted to say.

Wyrm
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Wyrm »

starholme wrote:Lots of people are willing to pay the premium for a 'just works' system, with excellent integration across the apple ecosystem.
This. Never underestimate the power of 'It just works.' As far as I'm concerned, figuring out how to make the various bits of hardware work together well is a job for someone else.

There's also the point that any current gaming rig will be defeated by Moore's law in a few years (if not months). I'm patient.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I have an opinion that Mac's are not meant to be used for playing anything.
I'm using Mac at work and it's far from "just works". Especially if you want to use it for software development. And if you need to use it in company thats mainly windows based there are a lot of problems.

And I have no idea what kind of Mac you need to have to make it faster then a decent PC - probably one of those fancy ones that cost as much as 2 gaming PC's.

@Wyrm
Moore's law is actually against Mac's - they are barely upgradeable :D

Wyrm
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Wyrm »

@orzelek
There's a reason I said "I'm patient." I don't have to have the latest game right now, which would require a tuned gaming PC. There are too many games out there that claim to be the next big thing that, in the end, turn out to be the same ol', same ol'. I wait a while to see what has staying power, and what would hold my interest long enough to make the time I would take to get good at it worth it. By the time I decide to get some game, Moore's law has made it possible that a decent Mac of fairly recent vintage can run it well.

TL;DR — Keeping up with the bleeding edge games is just insanity. Period. Once you've decided to go with "A few good old games" strategy, your hardware choices become much less restrictive, and the games much more worthwhile.

(PS, of course if you do PC/Mac integration stupid you're going to get bad results. And most companies do it stupid.)

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Wyrm wrote:TL;DR — Keeping up with the bleeding edge games is just insanity. Period. Once you've decided to go with "A few good old games" strategy, your hardware choices become much less restrictive, and the games much more worthwhile.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Return to “General discussion”