Factorio on Windows 10

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Cre8torzn
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Factorio on Windows 10

Post by Cre8torzn »

Hey guys and girls. With Windows 10 getting released just around the corner, can we get confirmation that Windows 10 will support Factorio? I honestly do not see any issues but has anyone been able to test it on Windows 10 Preview??

Darthlawsuit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Factorio on Windows 10

Post by Darthlawsuit »

We cant even get confirmation windows 10 is worth installing right now. Should wait till we see if its another windows 8 or if its the next XP

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Darthlawsuit wrote:We cant even get confirmation windows 10 is worth installing right now. Should wait till we see if its another windows 8 or if its the next XP
Which is untrue since everyone had the chance to run the Insider builds for about a year now. If it would be as bad as Windows 8 has been it would be known by now. It's not like the RTM build will feature something completely different than everybody had the chance testing beforehand. At least there are no major sh*tstorms on the net over Windows 10 the same there have been for Windows 8 back in the days.

But if Microsoft keeps true to their statements then Windows 10 will be the last major Windows version anyways after which they will switch over to a more modern rolling-release-cycle which basically means that you have no choice but upgrade to it eventually at somepoint once support for Win 7/8 will run out. And you'd better do that before the 1 year free-upgrade phase runs out and not wait until the point where the paper your old windows key is printed on is less worth than toilet paper.

So if you don't take it then the alternatives are even worse in my humble opinion because MacOSX is no alternative at all ever due to Apple being the worst company in existence next to Google. Linux is the next worst thing right after that because of how so much development effort and potential goes to waste due to how the entire Linux community is not able to work towards a common goal and every difference they have ending up in another stupid unnecessary fork. I'd blame the lack of success on the endconsumer part for Linux right on that no matter how many times they are going to state "year <xy> will be the year of Linux". Choice may be a good thing but they offer so many flavours that they are alienating the target market. And the only reason why it had a huge success on the server/supercomputer market has been that companies tried to cut back on licencing costs, which lately doesn't even seem to be a huge concern anymore due to the amount of middle/big companies switching over to Windows Server infrastructures now because it seems like even they've had it with Linux for some reason.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

Installed and running on win 10, no problems at all this far. around 20h in game.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

For me it works perfectly too. Haven't had any issues ever since I upgraded to Windows 10 on early Wednesday. At least not with Factorio.

Upgrading to Windows 10 was a nightmare though because the background preload mechanism downloaded a corrupted/unfinished Windows 10 image on Tuesday already that's been about twice the size of the real one, which Windows Update obviously couldn't start. Windows Update of my Windows 7 installation has been too dumb to take the necessary actions of wiping the corrupted update files and instead redownload the working ones. Had to do that manually, but it took me like 7 hours to figure that out. :lol:

At least I'm going to make a T-Shirt now with Error Code 0x80240020. Insiders will know what that means.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

Factorio works for me on W10. So far no problems.

Return to “General discussion”