Have Some Questions Before I Buy.

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Grimakar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Have Some Questions Before I Buy.

Post by Grimakar »

Dasani wrote:
spoiler
This I could have written :D
I am totally with you. Only difference: I started when tanks were patched in already, I am using zero mods and I am playing only 600 hours now^^

DyingDragon12
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DyingDragon12 »

I am also consiering buying it what do you guys think

Grimakar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Grimakar »

DyingDragon12 wrote:I am also consiering buying it what do you guys think
Play the demo and if you think that this is one of the best games ever, like I do (about 700 hours played already), then buy it. If not, don't.

Snake_
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Snake_ »

buy it :!:

DyingDragon12
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DyingDragon12 »

lol

ThePebbleStealer
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ThePebbleStealer »

Grimakar wrote:
DyingDragon12 wrote:I am also consiering buying it what do you guys think
Play the demo and if you think that this is one of the best games ever, like I do (about 700 hours played already), then buy it. If not, don't.
Totally agreeing with him.

tonylopez
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by tonylopez »

I truly agree that all the AAA Games cost 60 Bugs and rarely get you 8 Hours.

FasterJump
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FasterJump »

Hello,
1) If I buy the game on steam, can I download a non-steam version of the game on factorio website?
2) I heard steam fee is 30% of sale price, is it accruate?

Kelderek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kelderek »

FasterJump wrote:Hello,
1) If I buy the game on steam, can I download a non-steam version of the game on factorio website?
2) I heard steam fee is 30% of sale price, is it accruate?
I'm not sure if that works, but I know for sure if you buy it on the website you also get a Steam key and would be able to access it in both places. This also nets more cash to the developer (which they deserve because they are awesome) if you buy direct like this.

joon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by joon »

1. FAQ Factorio.com
I bought the game via Steam, can I get the Factorio login for that as well?
Yes, it is possible. In game you will have the option to register an account on our webpage. You can also create a free account at factorio.com and then head to your profile/settings page where you will find directions on how to link it to your Steam account. It is strongly recommended to create the account with the same username you have on Steam already.
2. Probably yes, check Steam Fee, but doubt the developers will say how much exactly because of the contract/agreement with Steam/Valve.

FasterJump
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FasterJump »

Thank you for your answers. Seems like the main difference is the steam fees then.

Terukio
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Terukio »

Devs have said before, they get the most from a sale if you purchase directly from their site. You will still receive a steam key going about it this way.

terraflare
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by terraflare »

This is the first and ONLY game that I bought without discount on steam (not this fact), and it goes on sale tomorrow, and I felt no remorse AT ALL (this is).

Learning curve is steep if you do not know the whole game. If you play the game without the knowledge of the endgame, you will restart, no doubt. And quite honestly I think everyone should play it that way. Don't have to see any build (except boiler steam machine ratio pre 0.15), get crazy and creative. But that is the true beauty of factorio. Everytime you get into a new tier of technology, you're gonna say "Well this layout isn't gonna work", then restart the game from scratch, bearing the new tech in mind. New tech comes after the new tech before, you're gonna say that line again, and again, and again, until you can beat the game (by factorio standard).

Pre 0.15 you will most likely restart the game around 6 times, with each game being longer since you reach further of the end.
At 0.15 you will restart a lot more. Personally I am currently on my 14th game now (only 180h total). Looking forward to restart the game a couple times more. :D
I am looking to work under somebody, read about it more here:

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=46904

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by featherwinglove »

terraflare wrote:This is the first and ONLY game that I bought without discount on steam (not this fact), and it goes on sale tomorrow, and I felt no remorse AT ALL (this is).
Huh? What sale is this? I heard it was a point of principle that Factorio never goes on sale or as I like to think of it, is always on sale!! :mrgreen:
Terukio wrote:Devs have said before, they get the most from a sale if you purchase directly from their site. You will still receive a steam key going about it this way.
It is also more secure to buy it on factorio.com than it is to buy it on the Steam store. I highly recommend this, even if it is your intention to play it exclusively via Steam. (Also, I recommend never playing anything via Steam, but that's me. EA and Origin are still worse. I especially recommend never using any of these services if you live in any country which has the slightest chance of being embargoed by the US besides the US. (Edit after Trump got elected ;) Another edit: Factorio is made in Czech, a country which has the slightest chance of being embargoed by the US, therefore I never recommend playing Factorio via Steam and that you immediately backup your Factorio download files this moment if you do.))

thereaverofdarkness
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by thereaverofdarkness »

You can play Factorio on GOG. You probably have to buy it from GOG to get their version--but if anyone knows how I can get this game posted onto my GOG, let me know!

GOG is like Steam in the good ways, but they don't try to control how you use their service, and when you buy a game on GOG, it is YOUR game. They don't try to take it away from you and they don't push any DRM on you. I don't know the rates they charge but GOG does take a cut, so Wube gets more money if you buy from the Factorio website than if you buy from either GOG or Steam.

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

To the best of my knowledge there is no GOG client, so there wouldn't be a distinct "GOG version". It would just be the same version as factorio.com executable MSI installer. Am I wrong? Also, last I heard discussion on it, GOG and Humble Bundle take 10% while Steam takes 30%. <-- grain of salt there as I can't remember my source or even the context.

I haven't tried it so I don't know for sure, but I'm reasonably certain that if the Steam version Factorio installation were copied to another directory and the Steam API DLL removed, the config context changed to that of an unregistered game (that's the biggest difference between executable MSI and *.zip downloads on factorio.com; I don't remember exactly where it is and ain't on my Factorio computer this moment to look it up. "Unregistered" in the context of Windows Registry, a.k.a. "portable installation"), it will work fine outside of Steam. This is probably a good idea for all Steam users given a) that DRM has been used to steal legally purchased games before; check out the case where EA Origin store stole purchased games from Iran, Myanmar and other US-embargoed countries, and formerly embargoed countries, b) Steam operates out of the US while Factorio comes from Czech, meaning that even US customers might be affected if Czech ever gets embargoed, and c) the US has this crazy guy named Donald Trump in charge right now. This wouldn't disable playing Factorio from Steam, although playing the backup version would not synchronize achievements. What it would do is provide a back up copy of Factorio that Steam can't disable or delete should something go wrong with Steam (it's probably not a matter of "if" but "when", and most likely it wouldn't be an embargo, but a garden-variety hacker who hates Steam far worse than I do.)

thereaverofdarkness
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

featherwinglove wrote:To the best of my knowledge there is no GOG client, so there wouldn't be a distinct "GOG version". It would just be the same version as factorio.com executable MSI installer. Am I wrong? Also, last I heard discussion on it, GOG and Humble Bundle take 10% while Steam takes 30%. <-- grain of salt there as I can't remember my source or even the context.
I heard they both take 40% but I also can't remember my source. I'd like to believe GOG takes less, but they're smaller so I wouldn't be surprised if they can't. Just the same, I expect Steam to be taking far more than they need.

There is a GOG client, but unlike Steam a game does not have to be coded specifically for the client. They will edit some game clients but that's usually old games and it'll be just to get the game to work on modern operating systems plus fixing some game-breaking bugs. I do want to get Factorio on my GOG account though, just for an extra layer of purchase security.

P.S. I don't think Donald Trump is much of a threat to the US being able to play games from overseas. It might be within what he wants to do, but the way US politics are set up, it's not likely to succeed. The US is at risk of trade embargoes on high value goods, but isn't at much risk of having freedom of expression and entertainment become policed.

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

What you're calling a "client" I think of as a "launcher" because of its lack of interaction with the game. 40% makes sense when they're porting old games to modern systems, but it could be less for modern games they don't need to do any such thing with.

As for Trump, the whole point is that he's a wild card and the potential effect his administration could have on international trade and computer gaming is difficult to predict. It makes sense to protect oneself from such risk even if it is small.

thereaverofdarkness
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

featherwinglove wrote:As for Trump, the whole point is that he's a wild card and the potential effect his administration could have on international trade and computer gaming is difficult to predict. It makes sense to protect oneself from such risk even if it is small.
It is good to protect oneself from risk.

Trump isn't unpredictable, he just does things most people (who don't know him very well) don't expect. But more importantly, you can look at the capabilities available to a leader in a country and determine what they're capable of. If they aren't a dictator and sometimes even if they are, they generally have limits to their power.

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Does anyone know him very well? Are they telling us what he's most likely to do? Let's reskin behemoth biters with his effigy so at least those Trumps are predictable :lol: Also, he isn't the only wild card out there; backing up Steam installations will also protect you from more common problem-causers like Bruce Balfour, Derek Smart, and Sean Murray.

Return to “General discussion”