Have Some Questions Before I Buy.

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
linktt
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

To buy or not to buy

Post by linktt »

So as my title suggests I am on the fence about purchasing this game. I played through the demo and while I did like the mechanics behind it I did start to get bored at the end of the final demo "level". As it stands its hard for me to rectify the cost for the game based on the so my question is simple, how much different is the full game versus the demo? Is the removal of the game play restrictions and heavy funneling of the demo enough to make the game significantly more fun or should I wait for a steam sale?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Have Some Questions Before I Buy.

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into the very similar (and a lot older) topic.

First, you can forget the idea of a sale : there won't be sales, the devs have been perfectly clear about that. As the game gets more complete, it may see its price go up, but it won't go down, and there won't be sales.
Now, if I recall corrrectly the demo, you have the ability to see the base of the game mechanics, the whole game is more of everything.
You might also give a look to all the topic I merged yours into, you might find some answers.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

linktt
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by linktt »

Koub wrote:[Koub] Merged into the very similar (and a lot older) topic.

First, you can forget the idea of a sale : there won't be sales, the devs have been perfectly clear about that. As the game gets more complete, it may see its price go up, but it won't go down, and there won't be sales.
Now, if I recall corrrectly the demo, you have the ability to see the base of the game mechanics, the whole game is more of everything.
You might also give a look to all the topic I merged yours into, you might find some answers.
Alright thanks for the response and the help!

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by featherwinglove »

...that is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mine to suffer the bugs and ammo of outrageous automation, or to take arms against a pollution cloud of crafting recipes and by opposing, not buy. And buy no more, to say we end the heart-ache, and the thousand natural science packs that research is heir to?...

F
e
ck, I'm going to get banished to OT forum if I keep doing this :lol: (If you're missing it, linktt's OP title is above his merged comment and starts page 4 of the merged thread. If you're still missing it, gratz on not being in a North American public high school, and click here.)

thereaverofdarkness
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: To buy or not to buy

Post by thereaverofdarkness »

linktt wrote:So as my title suggests I am on the fence about purchasing this game. I played through the demo and while I did like the mechanics behind it I did start to get bored at the end of the final demo "level".
I was thoroughly enthralled by the end of the demo. The game got a lot more interesting when I became able to access higher tiers of research, but really the best thing about moving from the demo to full version for me was being able to start a fresh game and run it my way from the beginning.

I guess you have to decide if it's the right kind of game for you. Not everyone is looking for a game in which you build things and solve puzzles, in which combat or war aren't a major aspect of the game, a sandbox where your choices are open-ended and your destiny leads wherever you take it. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Factorie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Factorie »

Once you've made the decision to purchase the game, I highly recommend you purchase from humble bundle. It'll give you a steam key and the devs get more profit than from buying from steam.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Factorie wrote:Once you've made the decision to purchase the game, I highly recommend you purchase fromhumble bundle https://www.factorio.com/buy.
Best place to buy from for the devs.

Factorie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Factorie »

Koub wrote:
Factorie wrote:Once you've made the decision to purchase the game, I highly recommend you purchase fromhumble bundle https://www.factorio.com/buy.
Best place to buy from for the devs.
Which is just the humble bundle widget. So it goes through Humble bundle and has the same profits, right?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Actually, I dunno :mrgreen:

CLion
Inserter
Inserter

Post by CLion »

i guess it's better for their internal statistics keeping

Aidiakapi
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aidiakapi »

I don't think the Humble Widget is the same as the Humble Bundle store. Just buy it from the devs, that way you do get a steam key. Buying it from GOG or HumbleBundle might not.

DyingDragon12
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DyingDragon12 »

cool! once i have a pc im gonna get it!!!

Facme
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Facme »

dont buy it unless you have friens, family and/or work school to go to. It will consume your entire life, even your dreams. No seriuously it is amazing great game. But be warned about the addictive side of it :)

bootsam
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bootsam »

If its any use, I bought game Sat morning (27/01/18). I played it all day Sat, Sun, Monday after work, Tues after work. So for £15 thats good value. I mean all day too. No breaks. I was still playing whilst eating dinner.

I dont watch tutorials, youtube vids or anything. Half the fun is figuring it out myself. For instance it took me an hour to figure out why my steam engines were not running. I'd deleted a power pylon to fit another engine in series with first one and forgot about pole, so it was only running on one engine. Doh!

Heed the addiction warnings. I'm hooked and will likely need to build a Betty Ford Module.

Runs on my Macbook too. Brilliant.

gsezz
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by gsezz »

I'm playing very slow. Last Weekend I lost 10h just for the layout of a train station, and another 10h for red circuit production. Normally I am about 50-100h into one single map until I get to space science. Thats about the point I always get bored, because then your have pretty much all setup figured out and the copy & paste work takes over. Then I take a break for a few weeks or month, and then I start a new map. Im currently heading towards 900h of playtime. - Best value I ever got for money on a game.

azairvine
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by azairvine »

Just buy it!!! :D :D :D

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by featherwinglove »

gsezz wrote:Best value I ever got for money on a game.
I'd have to say that Baldurans' Reactor is the best value-for-money deal I've had, since I've paid zero and never played it without ABP enabled. If you try it, I highly recommend never clicking on the "Longer guide at Kongregate forum", and never playing it via Kongregate, as the optimal builds are discussed ad nauseum there and will start the copy & paste phase of the game oh, I'd say about twenty minutes in. (By the way, the related Factory game is both horribly balanced and too similar to Factorio to ever bother with - I started off as literally the game's biggest fan by launching its leak on Reddit. Some smart alecglas quips "Reminds me a lot of Factorio." I was logging into PayPal about three hours later ;) )

Kostriktor
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kostriktor »

this is the best game ever. its a must-have in your steam.
we first got steam because halflife2, but now we have steam because Factorio !

MTBran
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by MTBran »

featherwinglove wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:28 am
...that is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mine to suffer the bugs and ammo of outrageous automation, or to take arms against a pollution cloud of crafting recipes and by opposing, not buy. And buy no more, to say we end the heart-ache, and the thousand natural science packs that research is heir to
Very nice! ‘the bugs and ammo of outrageous automation’ is brilliant.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Kostriktor wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:38 pm
this is the best game ever. its a must-have in your steam.
we first got steam because halflife2, but now we have steam because Factorio !
You don't need Steam at all, it will only slow you down when you will want to run one Factorio folder per game ! ;)
(and maybe multiple Factorios in parallel, it can sometimes be helpful for comparing stuff...)
https://factorio.com/buy
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Return to “General discussion”