Turing completeness

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Turing completeness

Post by ratchetfreak »

I believe that the current belt system+red and green wire logic is enough to achieve turing complete computation.

All you really need is to know that the Tag System is turing complete and implement it in factorio.

The Tag System means you have a FIFO queue and you take m tokens of the front and then depending on the first (or last doesn't matter) you append a set of tokens to the end.

All you really need is 2 smart inserters at the end of a belt alternatively activated by a timer (so m==2) one of which into a smart chest. This chest will be where the token is checked to decide the produced words. Also needed are several smart insterters at the start of the belt to put the production words pulsed depending on the item in the smart chest at the end.

However programming it and getting IO from this machine would be a turing tarpit at best.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Turing completeness

Post by MF- »

I remember someone building circui from smart chests and smart inserters,
claiming turing completeness back then.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

MF- wrote:I remember someone building circui from smart chests and smart inserters,
claiming turing completeness back then.
Well this setup starts with a known turing complete model and simulates it with belts and smart inserters.

Though one could go one step more general and create a queue automaton which is closer to a turing machine. Turing tarpit will still be a thing though.

patfly
Inserter
Inserter

Post by patfly »

Making my head hurt.

Delqvs
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Delqvs »

Yeah, I hope we will be able to build our own Factorio computer :D

Bitters gonna hate...
patfly wrote:Making my head hurt.
Maybe this medication can help you (be warned, the sound quality is not on the top)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LElYFSglR-g

TBog
Inserter
Inserter

Post by TBog »

I hope we will eventually be able to make a Factorio game inside the Factorio world.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

TBog wrote:I hope we will eventually be able to make a Factorio game inside the Factorio world.
Inception mindblowage :shock:
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

Koub wrote:
TBog wrote:I hope we will eventually be able to make a Factorio game inside the Factorio world.
Inception mindblowage :shock:
If you want real nesting mind==blown of programs check out https://www.destroyallsoftware.com/talk ... javascript at the 14 minute mark the guy has a image editor running inside google chrome running inside firefox

lxl
Inserter
Inserter

Post by lxl »

Imho it is already turing complete. We can already build all basic boolean expressions and also 1 bit memorys. --> this allows (in theory) that any cpu can be simulated within factorio.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

lxl wrote:Imho it is already turing complete. We can already build all basic boolean expressions and also 1 bit memorys. --> this allows (in theory) that any cpu can be simulated within factorio.
I know a nand gate and a coherent timing system is enough for turing completeness but that requires a massive chain of

However I exposed turing completeness without that and using the more basic resources available (a belt with stuff)

Return to “General discussion”