Maybe screwed?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
longshot136
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Maybe screwed?

Post by longshot136 »

So i started up my world and everything was fine. I progressed like normal, upgrading whenever i could. Keeping a nice flow of ores and making sure i had enough power generation to handle my factory. However my radar started showing an increase in a very close perimeter of enemies. They are starting to form pretty much a full circle of bases My pollution hasnt reached them yet but it should soon. I there an easy way to take out a lot of them in one go?
As i'm in work right now i can not post screenshots until i get home.

Smarty
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Maybe screwed?

Post by Smarty »

you got power armour and a destroyer robots? or use a tank if the bases are easy to attack

longshot136
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by longshot136 »

Smarty wrote:you got power armour and a destroyer robots? or use a tank if the bases are easy to attack
Unfortunately i'm still working on getting to that research point. They have increased quicker than i anticipated so my current research system can not keep up to supply my higher tier needs.

lvlurphy
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by lvlurphy »

May be the video from Xterminator about Early Game Offensive Tactics can help you.
https://youtu.be/qrcTeCse42A?list=PLweh ... 1qZvprb0rM

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by quinor »

Turret creep :)

longshot136
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by longshot136 »

Screenshot update: Not as bad as i thought
Attachments
Untitled1232.png
Untitled1232.png (206.05 KiB) Viewed 8459 times

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

psorek wrote:Turret creep :)
Pretty much.

Any tactic will probably rely on Turret Creeping in the end as there is not much else of a choice on how to deal with the Biters as long as you don't have Destroyer Capsules.

At least I found the tank to be too weak... Can't do much much with it when 50 Biters come to open it like one would open a can of sardines. The Tank is both too weak in the offensive and defensive capabilities. The cannon shells should take out like 4-5 biter nests at once in one shot at the minium and about every biter in the blast radius, but it doesn't so it is pretty much useless because you won't even get a second shot at the nest thanks to the cooldown and once the Biters approach you should be over the hills and far away if you don't want to have to load an autosave.

But well... Once I have Power Armor I'm using a Combat Shotgun and kill the Biter bases with hit&run strategy and everything following me gets finished off by a bunch off Turrets I placed somewhere nearby. It's funny that the combat shotgun when used properly and precise may take out 1-2 biter nests in one shot while the blast of a cannon shell doesn't even do jack.

At least the Combat Shotgun gets the job done much faster and with less waste of resources than Destroyer Capsules. Destroyer Capsules take too long to craft and too much resources compared to pumping the Biters full with Piercing Shotgun Shells. I think of Destroyer Capsules as the last resort.
longshot136 wrote:Screenshot update: Not as bad as i thought
Yeah. That's easy setting.

Something like that is hardcore, where you can't even take out a Biter Nest without stepping into neighbouring and attractcing everything lurking there as well:

longshot136
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by longshot136 »

How can people play like that ;-; Their production would be interrupted so much

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

longshot136 wrote:How can people play like that ;-; Their production would be interrupted so much
Reducing the pollution by switching over to solar energy as soon as possible and having efficiency modules everywhere. Then Biters don't attack for the most part.

But there are some people like myself for example who actually create loads of pollution on purpose to attract the biters because I like the sound of turrets firing at the enemy. :D

Cougarific
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cougarific »

MeduSalem wrote:Any tactic will probably rely on Turret Creeping in the end...//...At least I found the tank to be too weak...
My new approach - seems to be working pretty well - is to use a combination of Turrets and tank. Some minor Turret Creeping until you're just out of range of the worms, then drive the tank up next to the turrets and use the tank's longer-range cannon to take out the worms and spawners while the turrets keep the swarmers off the tank. :twisted:

SpeedDaemon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SpeedDaemon »

The tank does seem a bit short on HP, for a tank...

That said, here are the tactics I've been using to take out biter bases that are crawling with big biters and spitters.

SpeedDaemon's Guide to Tank Warfare:

First step is to have enough production of cannon shells and piercing rounds that you don't need to worry about expending them with profligate abandon.

Rule number one of Tank Survival: KEEP MOVING. Never, ever, ever take your finger off of the go-faster key while in combat. It takes far to long to get going again, and you'll take too many hits, especially if you accidentally stop in range of a big worm.

Big biters can be a problem, but other than those, if the tank is close to full HP, and you have a good head of steam, don't think twice about plowing through a group of baddies (aim for the spitters though) - it's the fastest way to kill them.

Don't focus on the critters, focus on the spawners. You may have to run back to some turrets to clear a "tail," but if you kill just one spawner in the process, that's less biters on the next run. If you only kill critters, you've just wasted time and ammo. My first attack run with full HP, I usually drive straight towards a spawner (just run over the critters) and try to take it out before turning away to circle.

Tank "circle strafing": If you have enough space between biter bases, circle it at full speed just out of range of any worms, while blasting away at spawners and worms with the cannon. So long as you don't turn too sharply or hit anything, you can kite an arbitrarily large number of critters relatively safely. You may have to use the cannon on the odd big biter that starts nipping at your heels. If you can't circle it (trees in the way, etc.) do "drive-by's" instead (but mind the slow turret turning speed or you'll miss).

Clearing your own tail: (If you're a long way from friendly turrets with a huge train of critters.) Use the cannon to clear out big biters; the piercing cannon shells will usually take out a lot of the others in a densely packed group "for free" in the process. Use the MG to clear out the smaller biters. It's OK to slow down a bit at this point to get them in range. The spitters will come to a complete stop as soon as they're in range in order to spit. Once the biters are gone, you can slow to a crawl and exploit this, as they'll never quite get a shot off as long as you're moving even a little bit. You should be able to pick them off with the MG without taking any hits from them. If I have enough HP at this point, I just pick up speed, do a 180, and run the lot of them over.

Having power armor, a portable reactor and personal laser defense will automatically clear out close tails.

Stop, repair, repeat, until you run out of biter nests or ammo.

Return to “General discussion”