An in-game IRC client?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
deejkdeejk
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

An in-game IRC client?

Post by deejkdeejk »

Hey, guys! I'm fairly new to Factorio, was introduced to it through Direwolf20's channel on YouTube (a minecrafter). I've been wondering, is there any possible way to develop a 'mod' that acts as an in-game IRC client (similar to say, EiraIRC for Minecraft)? Just curious.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: An in-game IRC client?

Post by ssilk »

? The current console is for the inter-player communication... ?

What do you want with an IRC? I mean, I have my client, put it on the second screen, that's fine.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

deejkdeejk
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by deejkdeejk »

What I'm thinking of is a mod that allows the console to connect to online IRC servers/channels, specifically in single-player. Do you get what I mean?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Yes. Now. But why? :) I mean: How could this be useful?

deejkdeejk
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by deejkdeejk »

I think it'd be useful for newer players like myself, because I'd be able to ask questions to #factorio and receive feedback while I'm playing in-game, instead of tabbing out or setting up a second monitor to view my IRC client. Plus, I could connect to other channels I like, and it would be nice having an 'instant messenger' type of feature in-game. d: It's really a quality-of-life thing, nothing that would greatly improve the game or anything. :D Just a suggestion!

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I just think: Factorio goes to Steam. 100 new gamer per day. All are sitting in an IRC-channel.

... how do I get my steam engine to work? I've build my first furnace, what comes next? How can I get rid of the items in my hand?

I'm hard, but not that hard... :)

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by quinor »

I'd love to see this functionality, especially in standalone servers. Like you can talk with people in-game playing on particular server without even turning factorio on...

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Factorio doesn't even have standalone/dedicated servers right now. (hoping for 0.12 btw)
Server-wide this would only make sense if there was the possibility that one server coordinates several games, and there was an ingame-chat and a server-wide chat.

As ssilk already wrote, integrating one global IRC channel into Factorio would just end up in chaos, with so many people on the channel.

In most multiplayer sessions, there are beginners and more experienced players together, so they can answer these questions. In my case, should I not know something, I would look up the wiki or search the forums before asking that question around.
psorek wrote:I'd love to see this functionality, especially in standalone servers. Like you can talk with people in-game playing on particular server without even turning factorio on...
This topic is about IRC/Chat integrated in Factorio, how would you like to use this feature without running Factorio?

As a sidenote, this can't be introduced as a mod because mods don't have the capability to connect to other servers on the internet. (Which is a good thing, in my opinion.)
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by quinor »

I know, there are no dedicated servers for now, but in the future... :) Daniel, I meant if irc is integrated into factorio, then you can connect to irc channel of particular factorio server from outside the game and keep talking with people playing - as when I can't launch factorio but can easily launch irc.

The Phoenixian
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by The Phoenixian »

On the one hand yeah if you had dedicated servers for the game you might need 10-60 rooms but...Would you even need a dedicated IRC server?

I mean, I've played a Minecraft mod that did this and IMO it works pretty well if you can, and have to, pick your own IRC server and room.
The greatest gulf that we must leap is the gulf between each other's assumptions and conceptions. To argue fairly, we must reach consensus on the meanings and values of basic principles. -Thereisnosaurus

BrightUmbra
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by BrightUmbra »

Note that Twitch chat uses IRC internally, and that external IRC clients can connect to it. Integrating an IRC client into Factorio would let people who stream their play sessions the ability to participate in their chat rooms without having to leave the game to do so.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Twitch comments popping-up in-game?
I do see how that would be useful.

Return to “General discussion”