Expansion hype thread - Any updates on when/if there will be an expansion?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Why are you guys so pressed?

Post by ssilk »

FunMaker wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:10 pm
But there is one thing that Wube should consider: The Hype of the community is gone for now. In the last couple of months i recognized a massive stall of community activity on the forums.
That is not necessarily a disadvantage. A lower volume in the forum raises in my experience a higher quality of posts. 8-)
And if you want to keep being in the minds of the players, you should tease the community.
I think there is not much so need at wube to convince the community. Yes, of course it’s useful from marketing sight. From outside it looks for me as if they are happy with that side of business.

From player sight it is of course a big wish to see more. But that goes — as already explained — with higher costs at wube. My point was that these costs are worth the effort; the feedback from the community is sometimes super useful. Maybe they are right: it’s just not the right time for that yet.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

vjbone
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by vjbone »

I think Wube made an announcement too early.
If you look at the rimworld devblog, they announced the biotech dlc a few weeks before launch. Before that, there were only news about current development.

landmine752
Inserter
Inserter

Post by landmine752 »

aka13 wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:11 am
posila wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:51 am
ssilk wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:22 am
The more often, the more feedback. It’s a lot of extra work to handle this feedback, but it’s worth it.
I feel scarred for life from responses to some changes ... 0.17 oil change, color correction pass on sprites and removal of pick axe come to my mind immediatelly. But there was more, I think. There is definitelly some resentment burnt into my soul :( I still think all of those were positive changes for the game. And there definitelly were many cases where the community feedback stopped us from doing something bad or stupid (and I don't remember any specific example.) I miss the feedback but I am also glad there is none at this stage of the development. Feedback from team members seems just about right amount to me right now.
Haha, oh boy, I also remember the whole bot-belts thing, it was even bigger than the oil, as far as I can remember.
I remember having worked on some belts vs bots vs trains wallpapers; hamming up the 3 main ways of playing and picking a side. In retrospect, I feel bad that was the design because it wasn't too long after my project that changes were made and people exploded. Was originally going to try and course correct with more unifying pieces (opposed to divisive), but people got so bad it wasn't worth touching again. And then the oil change got worse.
ssilk wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:22 am
I would mean it’s not the long time they need, that’s o.k., it’s that the community doesn’t know what they’re doing.

I need to explain.

Factorio was developed very open. We had the blog post every week (FFF), and some features had been changed, cancelled or rewrote due the reactions from there. Not every reaction has been taken (e.g. not binary splittable slot sizes). But the feedback from the community prevented some mistakes. That was a very agile type of development and resulted in much better product quality than developing it all secretly and making a big boom release in the end.

In my eyes (viewing from an agile perspective in which I develop software since over 15 years now), big boom is an anti-pattern. And I think many other players here know that intuitively. That’s why they might been “angry”.

Not saying wube needs to tell us the exact plans, not saying wube needs to post every week. In their own interests they should post regularly (every 4-8 weeks) how the things are standing. The more often, the more feedback. It’s a lot of extra work to handle this feedback, but it’s worth it.
I think it's unfair to attribute all the blame to the open development strategy. I think the damage that AAA game marketing has done is just showing more and more. Remember how people thought GTA 6, a game early in development, was trash because it looked like it was - quite literally - early in development? AAA loves to show highly polished vertical slices in their marketing, and it seems like it was a build from last week. Most people don't know how a game (or presentation) gets made.

Similarly, AAA game marketing has very tightly controlled hype cycles. Within 6-12 months a game is announced, gets a few trailers, is released, and then there is live service or DLC that roll out additional content months-to-a-year after. Now, why would someone with experience in irrelevant marketing counter argue a seasoned software developer? Because I see it across the industry, not just Factorio. More and more I see people saying "it was announced too soon" (see post above) because people want what they're used to. They don't want to hear about something unless it's ready to release.

I speculate here, but what I think happened is that Wube was probably excited to build on the success of Factorio and so they say "hey, we're going to build on Factorio." Since people expect a 6-12 month release after tease, they expect Wube to be polishing a final product and rolling out the release hype cycle. When the hype cycle doesn't roll out, people get confused because "wasn't Factorio 2077 6 months away? What have you been doing all this time since release?" Or people get put off, "if you weren't ready to release, why did you talk about it? You announced too early."

GluAp
Inserter
Inserter

Post by GluAp »

Well I'm not angry or anything like that, just because there are less FFFs or it is hinted that the DLC will be some time along in the future.

However I think some of you have made some reasonable points. I've been following the FFFs since 0.16 on a regular basis. But since FFF slowed down, so did my personal engagement.
I liked that process of transparency and technical explanations, which brought me much closer to the game and the people behind the game. For example - I had never heard of Perlin Noise before. And now I have read and even watched more about it.

And, sadly, that is what I'm missing at the moment right now. But that is my personal side. I am convinced that the DLC will be on the same level as the main game, with or without regular user feedback.
When I first came here, Wube opened my eyes what good EA and user interaction can be like. That's why I own two copies of the game.
I'm happy that I got to experience that.

I will respect the decisions Wube made for the DLC and the style of communication around it. Others and I pointed out what was good previously while development of the main game was in process. I hope that this will be considered again in the further development.

tuhe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by tuhe »

I don't understand why the developers are apprehensive.
All I want for the expansion is a few tweaks to the biters, a few additional music tracks, perhaps a new biome or two, and also that it is as accessible as Vanilla, more complex than Py, has a bigger scope than SE (I am obviously talking about SE with all planned changes), and obviously that it won't break my blueprints or change any of the mechanics I care about :-).
--

I think we as a community could do more to simply write about what parts of the game/mods we enjoy and would like to see more of -- a lot of the interesting and fun talk has taken to discord, and the forum has become a bit of an issue-tracker.

AlphaFortyOne
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by AlphaFortyOne »

First time commenter here, I'm with Factorio since the early development days. The impression I got over the years is that the developer are a bit "geeky" and more interested in their code, statistics and math, optimizing the 99th percentile of the game. This is by no means bad but results in us getting less content overall. Another "problem" is the very active modding community - if they release a logical feature chances are high a mod already covered it and they're getting feedback like "oh but this mod already did this ages ago what took you so long?" or "this mod implemented it better" which surely lenghtens the process of planning the features for a paid DLC (it has to have some value over free mods).

But these are just my thoughts and, I admit, since I'm not the geeky type and really interested in the whole technical aspect like most I would say, I have a more critical view on how the game developed (would've loved way more content updates over optimizations).

DarkShadow44
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DarkShadow44 »

tuhe wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:39 pm
I think we as a community could do more to simply write about what parts of the game/mods we enjoy and would like to see more of -- a lot of the interesting and fun talk has taken to discord, and the forum has become a bit of an issue-tracker.
I wonder if the devs follow some ideas from the community or if they're just doing their own things.
AlphaFortyOne wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:17 pm
This is by no means bad but results in us getting less content overall.
This is where mods come in :)
AlphaFortyOne wrote:
(it has to have some value over free mods)
That's why they said they focus on things that are currently impossible with the modding API, this will bring completely new content.
Also keep in mind that making a high quality mod is hard work (and not very well paid). So even if things were already possible with mods, Wube making their own mod means high quality content for the community.
AlphaFortyOne wrote:
would've loved way more content updates over optimizations
I personally love the focus on quality. FWIW, you could always make mods afterwards. How about a community funded mod project? I'm willing to pay for quality content! :D

JimBarracus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JimBarracus »

AlphaFortyOne wrote:
it has to have some value over free mods).
Kind of obvious and I guess the devs already know this but:
The devs should look at what mods cant do at the moment.

Prt91
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Prt91 »

IMHO, silence is, very often, a good signal, I assume that ofc a developer is a developer so they are working on it.
You have to choose 2 patterns in this case:

- First one is posting in a regular way every... dunno, every month to show the progress and get feedback from the community.

-digression-
I playing this since 2014, and I got bored years ago because i rebuild mega base over megabase and got better every fresh start, but the needs of fresh air has come, has come like "FBI OPEN UP!" this need yelling to me every day and almost 2 years has gone since the dev. starts.

- The second pattern is a full mute button like Silksong, personally I don't like it because it can make an overhype based on nothing and when it will be released could cause a very disappointng mood.

I don't know why this decision, the game by itself is the most solid that I've ever seen in my life so far, so why mutes? Maybe they are scared by something? Maybe they keep infos just to drop something big in a big surprise way?

I don't know and it isn't my business but only my experience after 30 years of gaming, 15 years of developing and last but not least 5 years of checking games where the devs are completely muted, spoiler alert, it didn't go very well at the end.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Prt91 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:04 am
I don't know why this decision, the game by itself is the most solid that I've ever seen in my life so far, so why mutes? Maybe they are scared by something? Maybe they keep infos just to drop something big in a big surprise way?

I don't know and it isn't my business but only my experience after 30 years of gaming, 15 years of developing and last but not least 5 years of checking games where the devs are completely muted, spoiler alert, it didn't go very well at the end.
They've already answered this. The basic idea is that everything they're doing is still not set in stone, so they don't want to talk about feature X, get a bunch of hype going for it, and then end up removing feature X because of technical issues or they realized it didn't actually mesh with everything else, etc. I would certainly like more communication, too, but I get it. I do expect that when it starts getting closer to release time and things are more locked in that they'll probably start talking about it more (or maybe I should say "I hope" rather than "expect").

But it is an expansion. Just like any mod for the game, anyone who likes the base game may or may not like the expansion. The great thing that they've already mentioned, though, is anything that's not actual new content and fits with the base game (for example, bug fixes, UI redesign, maybe fluid handling overhaul, etc) will be released for free as part of 1.2.

I am prepared for the chance that the expansion is something that I won't like, but that's fine. The base game is great, and what's more, complete as it was. If I don't like the expansion direction, c'est le vive. But if the fixes and content in the free 1.2 release are good enough, I may buy it anyway just as a way of supporting them and saying thanks for the thousands of hours of fun it has given me, which is far above and beyond what games twice its price have ever given me.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:36 pm
Prt91 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:04 am

They've already answered this. The basic idea is that everything they're doing is still not set in stone, so they don't want to talk about feature X, get a bunch of hype going for it, and then end up removing feature X because of technical issues or they realized it didn't actually mesh with everything else, etc. I would certainly like more communication, too, but I get it. I do expect that when it starts getting closer to release time and things are more locked in that they'll probably start talking about it more (or maybe I should say "I hope" rather than "expect").

But it is an expansion. Just like any mod for the game, anyone who likes the base game may or may not like the expansion. The great thing that they've already mentioned, though, is anything that's not actual new content and fits with the base game (for example, bug fixes, UI redesign, maybe fluid handling overhaul, etc) will be released for free as part of 1.2.

I am prepared for the chance that the expansion is something that I won't like, but that's fine. The base game is great, and what's more, complete as it was. If I don't like the expansion direction, c'est le vive. But if the fixes and content in the free 1.2 release are good enough, I may buy it anyway just as a way of supporting them and saying thanks for the thousands of hours of fun it has given me, which is far above and beyond what games twice its price have ever given me.
Agree here.
A very wise move is, that the existing game doesn't get changed fundamentally. This will keep players at bay, which don't like the expansion at all. Also, the existing mods will remain.
I also think, if they would discuss everything with the public, they would get a lot controversy, which prevents them to do they thing and slows them down.

But I also agree, that at some point, they should open up for discussion again and get the feedback from the community. Not sure, if it has to be before or after release. Maybe, there could be a beta phase for feedback, where also some semi-major things still can be changed according to feedback.

jamiechi1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by jamiechi1 »

I need to see feedback. At least some text every two weeks. Some kind of progress.

For the most part this is the best game I have ever played and the most hours spent in any game. The past feedback posts were great.

The biggest issues I have are with the User Interface. It needs some work. Especially for some of us who are older or have certain disabilities. Letting us disable all flashing notifications in the game. Make them a solid consistant color. Allow us to mod the UI to place things where we want and/or unlock the dialogs and let us move things where we want. And remember where I placed them when I restart the game. More or easier methods to change UI colors and sounds. One of the most annoying issues is with not remembering where I was when I go to settings. Remember whether the section is minimized or not. Once set some of these settings will never ever be changed. Such as the movement keybinds.

Until the UI issues are addressed. I couldn't care less about any DLC. Usability right now is the most important to me.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

jamiechi1 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:24 pm
Until the UI issues are addressed. I couldn't care less about any DLC. Usability right now is the most important to me.
Well, to my understanding, any UI updates (that don't fit or are too complex to put into 1.1.x) are most likely to be a part of the free 1.2 update separate from the DLC.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

jamiechi1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by jamiechi1 »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:00 pm
jamiechi1 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:24 pm
Well, to my understanding, any UI updates (that don't fit or are too complex to put into 1.1.x) are most likely to be a part of the free 1.2 update separate from the DLC.
Thank you. I'll have a look at any comments about the 1.2 update. Been many months since I played. Since last April. So I may have missed some information.

shopt
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by shopt »

Speaking as someone who only started Factorio at 1.1 (I did try the pre-release demo, but generally don't buy early access games), I look back at the community reaction to some changes that were ultimately positive IMO and can see why they don't want to put something out only to get reactionary pushback when they change it. There's one particular thing which it looks like wasn't changed cause of community feedback that IMO (looking at it with 1.0/1.1 eyes) should have been, and could have been if the game wasn't built out in the open. I wont say which cause I don't want to restart the war, but you could probably guess. Once you give people something (even if it's just an announcement) they cry when you take it away or nerf it. They do that much less if you never give it to them in the first place.

So FWIW I'm glad the devs have the freedom to try stuff behind closed doors. A closed beta later on could probably get most of the useful feedback without bringing all the community angst.

As for the hype, I don't think they need to worry. If the DLC is any good, old fans will hear about it and reinstall Factorio. If it's bad then we didn't miss much. Regardless, there will be plenty of time to hype it closer to release. I'm continuing to play as though Factorio is in maintenance mode, when the DLC comes it will be a nice bonus.

BurtonsBeans
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

It is time.

Post by BurtonsBeans »

I think the community needs an update on the expansion.

I know we can't demand one, but please guys, it's time!

Something - anything - about the expansion?

Working in software myself for over ten years now, I regularly use you guys as an example of how a software company should be run.

Constant updates, determination, skill, trying things out, shifting direction when they don't work out, leaning into them when they do.

It's been six months since the last update, keep the dream alive!

Sorry for the rant, thanks for your hard work!

- A fellow developer, a patron, a friend.

iamgod77
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Expansion hype thread - Any updates on when/if there will be an expansion?

Post by iamgod77 »

The only thing I know is it's gonna be soon now.... It's been so much wait and so long that the reveal is gonna be awesome and worth all this time for sure.

Can't wait!

swwils
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by swwils »

Expansion Name: Factorio: Quantum Leap

The expansion gives a whole new dimension to the game by introducing Quantum technologies that have their own unique challenges and rewards. As players move up the quantum tech tree, they must adapt their strategies to handle the benefits and risks of quantum mechanics. The unpredictability of quantum mechanics could also lead to emergent gameplay scenarios, keeping the game fresh and exciting.

Quantum Mechanics:

This introduces Quantum Mechanics as a new field of research. Quantum resources are extremely powerful but unpredictable and come with their own sets of challenges. A new quantum resource, "Qubit Ore" is available for mining.

Qubit Processing:

Players will have to set up Qubit Processing plants, where Quantum resources can be harnessed and used in various technologies. It's not as simple as running a conveyor belt, though. Qubits are processed through complex quantum computer systems that players must learn to build and manage.

Quantum Computing:

Allows players to build Quantum Computers, which are orders of magnitude more powerful than the regular circuit network. However, they require Quantum resources to operate and have a risk of quantum error which could cause negative effects to your factory.

Quantum Teleportation:

Allows players to harness the power of Quantum resources to teleport goods and players across the map. However, there's a risk of quantum entanglement, where if a teleportation fails, the goods might end up somewhere unexpected, lost forever or worse... manifesting in Chaos Entities...

Chaos Entities:

The introduction of quantum technology has caused a disturbance in the fabric of the universe, summoning the Quantum Chaos Entity. This entity exists in a quantum superposition, meaning it can exist in multiple states and locations simultaneously. It uses this ability to attack your factory from multiple directions at once.

Quantum Superposition: The Entity can exist in several places at the same time. It can attack multiple parts of your base simultaneously.

Quantum Tunneling: The Entity can bypass walls and other defenses by utilizing quantum tunneling. It can appear suddenly from within your base, causing havoc and chaos.

Quantum Entanglement: If the Entity is attacking in multiple locations and you manage to damage one of them, other instances will also receive the same damage due to quantum entanglement.

Quantum Annihilation: Upon defeat, the Entity causes a powerful explosion, the Quantum Annihilation, which can significantly damage your base.

Dealing with the Quantum Chaos Entity:

The Quantum Chaos Entity presents a unique challenge. It can be detected and it can be damage contained using new technology that becomes available as part of the Quantum Leap tech tree. Qubit Disruptor Arrays will be the primary means of defending against this new threat.

Qubit Disruptor Arrays work by manipulating quantum fields in the vicinity of your base to create "disruption zones". These zones are dangerous to the Quantum Chaos Entity and other enemies, causing them to lose their quantum coherence, reducing their attack capabilities, or forcing them to materialize in a single location, making them easier to attack.

This will add a layer of strategy to the game as players will have to thoughtfully place these arrays to cover as much of their base as possible and decide whether to focus on a few strong disruption zones or spread out to create a wider, but weaker, net of quantum disruption.

However, given its powerful and unpredictable nature, players will have to come up with new strategies and be prepared to adapt quickly to successfully defend against this.

Get ready to delve into the deepest corners of quantum uncertainty in Factorio: Quantum Leap!

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

I dunno, while I propably at this point would buy any game Wube would release, since I have so much trust in them, dislike the approach to the dlc. Just feels like factorio is "done", even if fixes are constantly pushed, and work is obviously done. It just does not feel like I am a stakeholder anymore, like it did with the main game. It's a pretty good feeling, not gonna lie.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

swwils
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by swwils »

Factorio Expansion: Interstellar Empires

I. Overview

Experience a new level of interaction in the Interstellar Empires expansion for Factorio. While retaining the core single-player gameplay, this groundbreaking expansion introduces indirect multiplayer elements, transforming your solitary industrial operations into part of a larger galactic community. With new resources, challenges, technologies, and the innovative Galactic Trade and Alliance system, your strategic decisions can have profound effects not just on your world, but on those of other players too.

II. New Features

1. Galactic Trade

Once you have launched your first rocket into space, gain access to the Interstellar Market. Here, you can trade surplus resources with other players' economies in real-time, influencing the galactic supply and demand. Prices will fluctuate based on players' activities, leading to dynamic and unpredictable economic scenarios.

2. Interstellar Alliances

Form Alliances with other players’ empires, sharing research advancements and offering protection. However, remember that every alliance could make you a potential target for rival alliances, so choose your allies carefully!

3. Galactic Events

Your actions and those of other players can trigger Galactic Events, such as meteor showers, solar flares, or space pirate attacks, affecting all players. How you respond to these events can alter your empire’s standing within the interstellar community.

4. New Technologies & Structures

Unlock new technology to advance your interstellar capabilities, such as advanced spaceports for faster trade, diplomatic envoys to negotiate alliances, and space defenses to protect against galactic threats. You'll also need to adapt your facilities to produce new goods for trade.

5. Interstellar Diplomacy

Your actions will have diplomatic consequences. Aggressive or deceitful actions might lead to sanctions or war declarations, while cooperation and aid could result in new alliances and mutual growth opportunities.

Interstellar Empires integrates an innovative layer of multiplayer interaction into Factorio's beloved single-player mechanics. It gives players the chance to compete, cooperate, and strategize in a dynamic, shared galaxy. The fate of your empire, and perhaps the entire galaxy, lies in your hands.

Return to “General discussion”