Shadow angle, Medium power poles

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Abarel
Inserter
Inserter

Shadow angle, Medium power poles

Post by Abarel »

is it just me or the medium power pole seems tilted, like about to fall?
Poles_shadows.jpg
Poles_shadows.jpg (154.71 KiB) Viewed 1684 times

cardboard
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Shadow angle, Medium power poles

Post by cardboard »

I have to leave a comment here since this is the only place I've seen anyone complain about this online. This has bugged me forever, to the point where I completely ditch medium poles for Substations as soon as they're available. Not the shadow specifically but just the way the medium pole leans at that weird angle. It's a little thing, but the drop in aesthetics outweighs any benefits for me.

I don't expect the devs to ever "fix" this since it's really not an issue with anyone else I guess. It's nice to know I'm not the only person on earth who's noticed this though.

T-A-R
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by T-A-R »

The angled design is based on the original medium pole from factorio 0.4. As described in fff-195 the diagonal pole it was a experiment for see-trough visibility. The new design ended in a blend in between of a vertical and a diagonal pole without the extra support beam. It seem to be a implementation of the feedback they got back then, making it more of a feature then a bug.
Attachments
fff-195-nr-poles-v1.png
fff-195-nr-poles-v1.png (915.62 KiB) Viewed 1011 times

Abarel
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Abarel »

T-A-R wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:25 pm
it was a experiment for see-trough visibility.
Thanks, I've found that FFF very interesting. I started to play on March/2019, not sure if it was v0.16 or 0.17, and did read every FFF since then but not all the previous ones. Now I understand it... and I could say I love Factorio, even with that medium pole... ;)

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Never had an issue with it myself, but I also like some things not being perfectly straight. Gives it more character, I think.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

jamiechi1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by jamiechi1 »

I never liked the medium pole. I usually use a large wooden pole that looks more like the real wooden poles I see locally. I think Klonan made it originally.

Return to “General discussion”