Please use HTTP caching for the RSS feed

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Saklad5
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Please use HTTP caching for the RSS feed

Post by Saklad5 »

The Factorio blog's RSS feed is not currently set up for HTTP caching of any kind. Not using ETags is bad for anything on the web, but it is unacceptable for something intended to be checked on a regular basis. I have almost a hundred feeds in my newsreader app, and almost all of the traffic it generates by checking them consists of RSS feeds from Factorio and five similarly misconfigured servers I am also complaining to.

Feeds are not meant to be sent from scratch. I understand if you're worried about outdated caches, but using ETags avoids that issue entirely. If you want to know more, here's a guide on the subject.

vinzenz
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Please use HTTP caching for the RSS feed

Post by vinzenz »

hi there, while I don't appreciate the tone, I just deployed HTTP conditional get support for the /blog/rss endpoint
bringing the oops to devops

Saklad5
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Saklad5 »

Thank you, and I apologize if I seemed overly hostile.

[hr][/hr]

While I don't think it's going to break anything, I notice that the ETag being sent is basically just the Last-Modified time (which is also being sent) in ISO 8601. If you are in fact setting the ETag to that automatically, you could just drop the ETag entirely: Last-Modified does the same thing (unless you want sub-second precision), and everything that supports an ETag supports that too.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

Saklad5 wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:20 pm
Thank you, and I apologize if I seemed overly hostile.

[hr][/hr]

While I don't think it's going to break anything, I notice that the ETag being sent is basically just the Last-Modified time (which is also being sent) in ISO 8601. If you are in fact setting the ETag to that automatically, you could just drop the ETag entirely: Last-Modified does the same thing (unless you want sub-second precision), and everything that supports an ETag supports that too.
beggars can't be choosers.

your setup is probably not universal, and browser support is, as we (who actually deal with web dev and not just simply complain to developers) are more familiar with the history of Internet Explorer.. you should relax. isn't it working for you?

Return to “General discussion”