Web says "Password breached", how does it know, technically?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
xoft
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Web says "Password breached", how does it know, technically?

Post by xoft »

Hi,
the other day I logged into my account on factorio.com just to find out a big fat yellow warning at the top of the page saying:
Password breached
Your password has previously appeared in a data breach unrelated to factorio.com. Please change it as soon as possible on your profile page. For more information visit https://haveibeenpwned.com/Passwords

I was wondering, how can the web know that? Does that mean that it stores my password in plaintext, or in a reversible form, so that it could check through HIBP's API? If the web stored the password with the best current practices in mind, salted and hashed, it could not check with HIBP's API simply because it wouldn't know my actual password. So what's going on here?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, can't find anywhere that would seem more appropriate.

torne
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Web says "Password breached", how does it know, technically?

Post by torne »

It knows your password in plain text *while you are logging in*, because you just typed it into a form and submitted it, so it can check at that time without the stored password being reversible.

vinzenz
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by vinzenz »

xoft wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:58 pm
Hi,
the other day I logged into my account on factorio.com just to find out a big fat yellow warning at the top of the page saying:
Password breached
Your password has previously appeared in a data breach unrelated to factorio.com. Please change it as soon as possible on your profile page. For more information visit https://haveibeenpwned.com/Passwords

I was wondering, how can the web know that? Does that mean that it stores my password in plaintext, or in a reversible form, so that it could check through HIBP's API? If the web stored the password with the best current practices in mind, salted and hashed, it could not check with HIBP's API simply because it wouldn't know my actual password. So what's going on here?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, can't find anywhere that would seem more appropriate.
To stop account hijacks we started checking passwords at login time against the haveibeenpwned api. Only a subset of the SHA1 of your password is sent to them to facilitate the check. We don't store plaintext passwords in our database.
bringing the oops to devops

xoft
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by xoft »

Thanks, that was exactly the info I was looking for.

Return to “General discussion”