Deathworld Rampant, launch a rocket yet?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Deathworld Rampant, launch a rocket yet?

Post by blazespinnaker »

I tried on default settings (no big patches or anything) but Deathworld difficulty. Very tough. Going to have to try Default difficulty first I think.

You get to this point in evolution that these critters come out that are more dangerous than behemoths or something. Shoot electric zappy things from their eyes. I don't even have bots yet ..

Crazy .. but fun!
OptimaUPS Mod, pm for info.

GreenTeaKinase
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Deathworld Rampant, launch a rocket yet?

Post by GreenTeaKinase »

I'll have to try it sometime...but not after I officially launch a rocket in a default world. And then a normal death world. It's all about gentle progression of difficulty.

blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by blazespinnaker »

It'd crazy difficult. I think I'm going to call it and just speed run to green modules / solar.

Admittedly, I play hardcore, one death and I delete the save. And full night mode, why oh why didn't Factorio make that an optional setting. It's brilliant

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

I wouldn't start with Rampant new enemies enabled by default, anyway. :P I think (haven't confirmed) that these really require additional weapons mods, like Rampant Arsenal, to deal with.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by blazespinnaker »

Oh really? Heh. Well, we'll see. I think part of the trick is just doing everything possible to keep evolution down as much as possible.

This means speedrunning, keeping pollution down as much as possible, and not taking out any biter bases.

But yeah, some those more highly evolved biters... ohmygoodness.

... ok that's enough for today. I'm at bots with .14 evolution, and full green/solar/accumulators. Evolution seems to have slowed down with total pollution output around 300/m, but now it's a race against time I suspect. plus i need more oil and ore patches and neither is to be seen on the starter map. :(

Dmytrozern
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Dmytrozern »

I tried several Ultra DW railworld with Rampant. But I find the Rampant broken in terms of waves generation. I'm not talking about "super wave" which is a nice change of pace, I'm talking about usual ones. I remember having an unmodded iron mine that almost did not get any attacks from nests near, but another place which has almost 0 emissions had constant huge attacks(distance to nests and trees were ~equal. Feromones were turned off, so should not be the thing. And I wasn't at both places as much anyway. Even after all production as stopped and pollution cleared, attacks were not stopping. So I gave up the idea of playing with it as there is no causality anymore. So even tho I liked rampant pathfinder much more, I just moved to more hardcore settings in vanilla. Maybe I'll try it out again after finishing Harcore Marathon, which I start today.
Mostly a vanilla player. Enjoy extreme railworld deathworlds with a 5x+ tech price.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Something else you all may or may not want to try is Rampant Evolution. Iirc, it essentially makes evolution more organic and “realistic” in that it changed from pollution produced to pollution absorbed, time evolution was 0, and destroying biter nests to push them back out of your pollution cloud could actually decrease evolution (simulating that it’s the biter nests being exposed to pollution that are evolving/mutating, not the whole species).
Dmytrozern wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:10 am
Last I knew there was something for a bug regarding attack wave generation if you used rampant in conjunction with another mod that handles spawner spawning, like RSO can. In RSO, if you have the options on to disable vanilla biter generation (a startup setting) and/or enable RSO biter generation (a map/global setting), this caused issues with rampant. Specifically in the realm of non-vanilla spawned spawners and their subsequent biters were not picked up on by rampant, making them not attack/use vanilla’s system.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Dmytrozern
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Dmytrozern »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:17 pm
As for Evolution, I remember trying it and it was super hard to balance. Basically, it's pretty easy, once you get a decent tech for killing nest. Especially in forests. But it's getting harder exponentially. The moment you can't deal with nests - you are doomed, coz they will evolve even faster like a rolling stone. As I usually don't look at the map when generating the seed it's hard to balance the mod. But thanks for the suggestion. AS for realism, I think the idea that bugs mutate because of emitted pollution is ok too since they feed on something that feeds on grass/trees/etc that absorbs pollution.

I probably used RSO indeed! Might give it another go later then. Thanks a lot!
Mostly a vanilla player. Enjoy extreme railworld deathworlds with a 5x+ tech price.

blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by blazespinnaker »

OK so rampant is pretty easy with green modules and solar, at least on vanilla. By the end I was at .3 evolution and the biters were getting tough, but I had also upgraded projectile and land mines.

Now back to DW. I'll try the green modules and solar again.

.. just looking at the preview maps (can't stand it when initial patches are spreadout, too much running around) and all those red dots. Already freaked out

... yowch. evolution ramps up really fast. I tried building an island and that nicely messed with their pathing, but then they spread to all the patches so I can't really sneak ore away from them without taking out nests. Don't want to do that and even if I did, it consumes a lot of iron to fend them off. Maybe if there was an oil patch nearby and I had technology.

That 'pheromonal' thingy is very cruel.

Hmmm. Not sure I can beat DW without adjusting the settings. :(

I'm going to increase the size of the iron patches and give it another try. Maybe after that I'll figure out how to do DW with regular size patches.

Dixi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dixi »

Deathworld Rampant, what is it?

I suspected it's some setting for Deathworld, but found none. Nether a mod with such name.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I had the same question. But I guess it’s the mixture of deathworld-settings (in Factorio when you start a new game) mixed with the rampant ai mod.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

ssilk wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:49 am
I had the same question. But I guess it’s the mixture of deathworld-settings (in Factorio when you start a new game) mixed with the rampant ai mod.
Unless I misunderstood, yes, this is exactly it.

blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by blazespinnaker »

Yeah, it's just install rampant -> switch to DW, change nothing else.

It's doable with a large iron patch, just spam turrets everywhere, but without that I'm not sure how to do it.

Return to “General discussion”