Silly thoughts about Science Packs

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
DanGio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Silly thoughts about Science Packs

Post by DanGio »

So... what is this thing called Science Pack ?

Take the green one. An inserter plus a conveyor belt. Are they melted together ? I doubt it. That would rather result in a trophy to reward film directors in french movie festivals.
Could it be, that there's scientists inside the assembly machines ? In that scenario, when given conveyor belt and inserter, the first scientist put the inserter on the conveyor belt again and again and watch it move. The second one watches the inserter grab the conveyor belt from left to right, then right to left etc...

So, ok, this could give them ideas. But why does it creates a green liquid ? Is it like a pensieve from Harry Potter ? If so, we could say that they're bad scientists, because I'm not a scientist, and I thought of faster conveyor belt before them.

We could state that SOME of the ingredients are melted to create the beakers. Otherwise... Could it be a huge beaker vein underground ?

I don't know. What do you think of that ?
Last edited by DanGio on Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Smarty
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Thoughts about Science Packs

Post by Smarty »

No offence but what is your idea to do science? Instead of using science packs?

DanGio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Thoughts about Science Packs

Post by DanGio »

Lol, add 20 smileys to my previous post. I love the game, and the science part is nice.

Edit : I changed the subject, so it can't be read as a criticism of the game. It's really not.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Silly thoughts about Science Packs

Post by aka13 »

That's a fun intepretation of the system, I love it :D
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Lupoviridae
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Lupoviridae »

Well, knowledge goes into making tools right? So clearly they are distilling the pure knowledge back out of these devices. More complex input yields a more pure product, denoted by reflecting a higher wavelength of light (red-->green-->blue-->purple). Perfect sense. :)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

The items are thrown into a big coffee grinder and the pulver is put into a very big glass, hot water filled in, wait some seconds, then a french press filters that pulver out and the now colored water is the wanted potion. Filled into packs it is ready for the electric scientists.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Smarty
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Smarty »

ssilk wrote:The items are thrown into a big coffee grinder and the pulver is put into a very big glass, hot water filled in, wait some seconds, then a french press filters that pulver out and the now colored water is the wanted potion. Filled into packs it is ready for the electric scientists.
Hmm should i try this at home?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

ssilk wrote:The items are thrown into a big coffee grinder and the pulver is put into a very big glass, hot water filled in, wait some seconds, then a french press filters that pulver out and the now colored water is the wanted potion. Filled into packs it is ready for the electric scientists.
Ye :ugeek: s, but ... will it blend ?
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Iblob
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Iblob »

One other science related question:

How does our character know what he has left to research, but not actually have enough data to know how to build it without using a lab first?

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

How does the lab knows what to research for if you don't have the technology for it? It's like a chicken in the egg issue.

Probably can be fixed by having something saying that this is the technology that came from the mothership, and you need some science on how to apply to local gravity, environment and resources (although copper and iron :D )

JimiQ
Inserter
Inserter

Post by JimiQ »

Iblob wrote:One other science related question:

How does our character know what he has left to research, but not actually have enough data to know how to build it without using a lab first?
He/She remembers what have been already researched on home planet.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

The original idea was, that you need to make these machines and experiment with these to research new methods and technologies.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

More or less like in minecraft?

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

ssilk wrote:More or less like in minecraft?
I don't get it, there is research in minecraft?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Uhm. I played it once, and what I remember was, that I need to place items on a field of stacks, and with the right combination of items in the right fields it creates a new item...

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

0_o that's one way of looking at minecraft crafting system here
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

Iblob wrote:One other science related question:

It would be cool to have a fancy tech tree of researched things that doesn't show future research that isn't affordable yet

So there would only be options like "do more research for path " automation"" but it doesn't completely tell you what you'll get before it's done.

Of course if you already know everything it won't change much but it would change a lot for new players

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

DanGio wrote:So... what is this thing called Science Pack ?
It's game design. Making them deliberately difficult to make, or at least non-trivial to make, by requiring those component ingredients. Especially thwarting any manual mass-production of SP2, since doing so would deplete the player's inventory of Inserters and Belts.

vampiricdust
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vampiricdust »

kovarex wrote:
No researching, just pure resource & infrastructure.

I still say Science Packs should be Test Kits. The kits are tested on the alien world to create higher level items optimized for use on that world. Once You have completed the required number of tests with the type of test parts, you unlock the recipes now safe for use on that world. Every world has different levels of gravity, atmosphere mixtures, acidity, humidity, and numerous other factors. A lot of high tech equipment is really sensitive to conditions and needs proper tweaking. Then it wouldn't be a matter of star traveling human reinventing the wheel.

bigyihsuan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by bigyihsuan »

kovarex wrote:
Some mods have it. The magic mod Thaumcraft comes to mind, where everything in the mod needs to be researched first in your Thouminomocon (how ever it's spelled) in order to craft the item.

Botania (magic mod based on flowers) has an in-game book that explains everything, and you have to drop it into the mod's Alfeim portal to get more stuff into the book, but I'm not sure if that actually counts as research.

Otherwise, there aren't many mods that have research as a major mechanic. Who knows, someone might make a Factorio mod for Minecraft, making a mod inspired by a game inspired by Minecraft.

Return to “General discussion”