Unreachable items

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Frahel
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Unreachable items

Post by Frahel »

Hello,

I've been playing Factorio for a few days now, and think it's a fantastic game, bravo!

May I just suggest that the limited distance to reach an object is very very very annoying and counter-intuitive? As long as something is visible in the main view the player should be able to interact with it regardless of the distance.

Could you also give us the ability to fly over uncovered lands regardless of the player's position (and provide a quick way to refocus the view on the player)?

FuryoftheStars
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Unreachable items

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Sounds like what you want is sandbox/god mode, which already exists.

Otherwise, only thing I’d want change in this regard is opening of a structure interface for looking at the info in there from further out. I’m good with the other restrictions.

Serenity
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Serenity »

You're playing a character on the screen, not some invisible god/overlord. And as the game progresses your physical presence becomes less important

There are mods to increase reach:
https://mods.factorio.com/query/reach?version=1.1

mmmPI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Frahel wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:38 pm
May I just suggest that the limited distance to reach an object is very very very annoying and counter-intuitive? As long as something is visible in the main view the player should be able to interact with it regardless of the distance.
If you mean changing receipe of machine or rotating inserters i agree and find it sometimes frustrating because the camera/view is so much wider than the reach distance. There are ways to mitigate this feeling either in game with science progression or with commands, cheats and mods, i would advise exploring the game proposed options first, to make it easier to possibly later change only what you have experienced the worst if it's still annoying.

For picking up item in chests i find it more intuitive to have the character required to be close. And the in game robots are very powerful at this task later on.
Frahel wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:38 pm
Could you also give us the ability to fly over uncovered lands regardless of the player's position (and provide a quick way to refocus the view on the player)?
I think this is offered by the map view. The uncovered areas are required to be covered by radars for the map view to show them as if your character was physically present.
The default hotkey i think is M and then using the mousewheel. In this mode you can see but not touch and pressing echap exit the mode.

Tertius
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tertius »

The limited reach is the simulation of a person manually doing some stuff. He doesn't have arms with infinite length. You're encouraged to automate things (that's what Factorio is mainly about), so you don't need your arms that often. If you progress with the game and do more research, you find ghosts and blueprints unlocked and building robots. Ghosts and blueprints are a means to plan a larger structure over a bigger area (the reach to create ghosts/use blueprints is the radar range), and building robots will swarm out and actually build what you put as ghost. This way you don't need a long reach that often any more.
The robots are quite a game changer. I consider the gameplay before robot availability as some kind of warm-up at the start of a new game that is reached quite quickly, if you have more practice.

However, putting stuff in or out of a machine still needs local presence.

About the view: use the map to look far away. However, you need the map uncovered/charted, which can be done by walking there first or remotely with radars or with shooting artillery shells over uncharted land.

Return to “General discussion”