HDR

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
jackthesmack
Inserter
Inserter

HDR

Post by jackthesmack »

Are there any plans for Factorio to support HDR? Would it actually make a visual difference?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: HDR

Post by ssilk »

No and no, because the sprites are rendered as simple image file formats.
And this is not a suggestion. Moving to general.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I think that HDR mode would work quite well with Factorio especially after all the lightning updates.
And since most of that is calculated in runtime it might not need any changes from srpites.

Night mode would look much better in HDR most likely.
(I might be biased but I have a monitor capable of HDR and difference on any light effects in games that support it tends to be visible and details in dark areas are much better with HDR)

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Unless I'm reading something wrong HDR for the entity images would just add more bits to the color channels. So any gradients get a bit more smooth. But overall nothing really changes for the images. They are all at a constant light level so there is nothing where HDR effects would change the image,

So I guess any changes would come from the composition. When you take the bright image of something and then apply the darkening for night you reduce the color values quite a bit. So the 8 bit per channel get reduced to maybe 4. Having a fractional part could preserve details there. And then you would have to implement stuff like the tone mapping and local contrast in the GPU and have them done per frame. That would probably be 95% of the work unless vulcan already has that implemented for you.

jackthesmack
Inserter
Inserter

Post by jackthesmack »

ssilk wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:56 am
because the sprites are rendered as simple image file formats.[/color]
What I meant by asking for HDR is not a simple toggle in the game, but a re-rendering of all the assets. If all the assets were re-rendered in HDR, and there was an option to enable them in game, would it make a visual difference?

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

jackthesmack wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:45 pm
ssilk wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:56 am
because the sprites are rendered as simple image file formats.[/color]
What I meant by asking for HDR is not a simple toggle in the game, but a re-rendering of all the assets. If all the assets were re-rendered in HDR, and there was an option to enable them in game, would it make a visual difference?
See my last post. I don't believe it would. Maybe a few pixel would change but probably not even enough to notice. Think about it. HDR handles the case where for example you have a dark room with a bright window. The dark parts use one range and the window a separate range so you can still see details in each. Which model has such a case? At most you have some parts of the model that is in it's own shadow and might gain a bit more detail.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

HDR also increases the color range, it is a significant improvement to the amount of colors capable of being displayed, a much larger portion of the colors discernible by eye.

I do not believe that that particular aspect would benefit Factorio however. Nor do I believe that the contrast enhancement (light vs dark) would help Factorio either.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

This is factorio, just why? Reasonable is not in the dictionary.

Return to “General discussion”