I never noticed before

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Mauslag PIngman
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

I never noticed before

Post by Mauslag PIngman »

I just noticed this today. I was looking at my nuclear fuel flowing into my reactor on a red belt and when the fuel goes into the red underground belt it turns red. That means the cover of the red underground belt is plastic and not metal even though there is no plastic in the ingredients for red belts. It doesn't change anything and is of no importance except its a detail you might not have noticed.

I was taking a walk at 2 in the morning on an unlit road while wearing a headlight. I often see the eyes of animals like cats and deer lit up by my light. They're pretty chilling the way they don't have bodies and they stare. On this night I noticed a tiny reflection and then I stopped. "Was that tiny light on the ground moving?" I backed up about 7 steps and there it was again. Its light was bright enough it seemed to be wearing it's own headlight and then its body came into view out of the dark. It was a spider about an inch in diameter. It seems to have realized that I was tracking it because it started blinking rapidly and panning side to side. It looked frantic but wasn't retreating. Does that mean spiders can turn their eyes? At the same time it was running a crooked course but still coming at me. It turns out some spiders have reflective material on their eyes. Tarantulas have reflective eyes. If you go down into your cellar at night with just a headlight for illumination, you might find there are things staring back at you and they'll be freaked that you can spot them because I don't think they know they're reflective. They think they're the ultimate killer and master of stealth just like cats. After all, there are no headlights in nature.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: I never noticed before

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Mauslag PIngman wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:24 am
I just noticed this today. I was looking at my nuclear fuel flowing into my reactor on a red belt and when the fuel goes into the red underground belt it turns red. That means the cover of the red underground belt is plastic and not metal even though there is no plastic in the ingredients for red belts. It doesn't change anything and is of no importance except its a detail you might not have noticed.
This actually makes me wonder if there’s a color mask that’s accidentally being applied to items on the belt as they go in.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Mauslag PIngman wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:24 am
I just noticed this today. I was looking at my nuclear fuel flowing into my reactor on a red belt and when the fuel goes into the red underground belt it turns red.
Care to share us a screenshot or even better, an animation ?
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

I would guess it's the glow from the item. It's not masked by other objects I believe, so you can see random objects light up, in this case the underground belt would light up once the uranium cell goes under the entrance. It's much like the red rear light of a train for example, which you can notice if you place a power pole where the back of the train is, only for the red glow to go straight through the pole. (Strictly speaking I think the rear light of a train applies a red glow whereas an uranium cell item applies a white glow, but the phenomenon is the same where the glow is not masked by other objects, for performance reasons I would assume since its a minor detail, much like how inserter arms are rendered on top of everything else too.)

Return to “General discussion”