What are the most impractical items in Factorio?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1088
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:13 am
Contact:

Re: What are the most impractical items in Factorio?

Post by Pi-C »

jodokus31 wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:53 am
[Iron chests are nice and cheap for any purpose. … you can recycle steel chest to logichests
I used both iron and steel chests when building malls. There usually aren't that many slots required anyway, just some stacks to always have a sufficient supply of things I may wanted to carry around, so iron chests were quite sufficient for most things. As I liked to lay out my malls well in advance for things I couldn't even make at that point, and my game also progressed quite slowly, I used steel chests as a marker for what chests I'd need to upgrade to logistic chests later on.
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

User avatar
jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1224
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:13 pm
Contact:

Re: What are the most impractical items in Factorio?

Post by jodokus31 »

Pi-C wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:06 am
jodokus31 wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:53 am
[Iron chests are nice and cheap for any purpose. … you can recycle steel chest to logichests
I used both iron and steel chests when building malls. There usually aren't that many slots required anyway, just some stacks to always have a sufficient supply of things I may wanted to carry around, so iron chests were quite sufficient for most things. As I liked to lay out my malls well in advance for things I couldn't even make at that point, and my game also progressed quite slowly, I used steel chests as a marker for what chests I'd need to upgrade to logistic chests later on.
Sounds good, if you can afford it. But, if you play casual, it shouldn't be a too big investment.

dognosh
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:36 am
Contact:

Re: What are the most impractical items in Factorio?

Post by dognosh »

blazespinnaker wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:20 am
I was trying to think of what I rarely, if ever use:

Water barrels, can't think of a use for them, tbh.
If you play Space Exploration then they're useful

Haladon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:03 am
Contact:

Re: What are the most impractical items in Factorio?

Post by Haladon »

I found use for Destroyer robots in late game deathworld. I would first state that I don't feel like defender robots became obsolete for me when I teched into PLD. I can use both and plough through spawners at double the rate. (And also shooting an atomic bomb every so often.)

But why switch over from defender to destroyer capsules? They are deployed 5 times as fast and last thrice as long. Additionally, they are upgraded by energy weapons research so it is easier to upgrade them along with PLD.

Once spidertons got added to the game, all of this became less relevant. Now I can send hordes of spiders to claim land.

J-H
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:48 pm
Contact:

Re: What are the most impractical items in Factorio?

Post by J-H »

I tried doing a "no nuclear power" run. Even with 6k solar panels and ~5k inserters, I still had power outages when everything was running. Four factories for both of panels & accumulators couldn't keep up with demand.

Solar/battery is pretty impractical and completely obsoleted by nuclear power.

User avatar
NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1044
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:47 am
Contact:

Re: What are the most impractical items in Factorio?

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

J-H wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:06 pm
I tried doing a "no nuclear power" run. Even with 6k solar panels and ~5k inserters, I still had power outages when everything was running. Four factories for both of panels & accumulators couldn't keep up with demand.

Solar/battery is pretty impractical and completely obsoleted by nuclear power.
Solar power is the best for UPS: it is essentially free in terms of UPS, while nuclear power needs both infrastructure & the plant itself.
: Alea jacta est. Determine what you intend to accomplish with an action before execution.
Have you ever heard the gospel? Most have not.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 4432
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:10 am
Contact:

Re: What are the most impractical items in Factorio?

Post by mrvn »

blazespinnaker wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:20 am
I was trying to think of what I rarely, if ever use:

Water barrels, can't think of a use for them, tbh.
Doesn't that go for all filled barrels. Unless you are a trainaphobic or botaholic.

I have one use for filled barrels: limiting or splitting the throughput. You can't limit a pump to 100/s. Or pump half the fluid to the left and the other half to the right. At a large scale you can use trains but fluid wagons are usually a bit too large a unit to use for this.

coppercoil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 348
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:14 am
Contact:

Re: What are the most impractical items in Factorio?

Post by coppercoil »

mrvn wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:13 pm
Or pump half the fluid to the left and the other half to the right
You can pump 1/2 of fluids by using circuits.

User avatar
jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1224
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:13 pm
Contact:

Re: What are the most impractical items in Factorio?

Post by jodokus31 »

coppercoil wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:06 pm
mrvn wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:13 pm
Or pump half the fluid to the left and the other half to the right
You can pump 1/2 of fluids by using circuits.
Yep, exactly.
use a tank with two directly connected pumps. connect wires to pumps and pump only, when tank is filled to a certain level not too low.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 4432
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:10 am
Contact:

Re: What are the most impractical items in Factorio?

Post by mrvn »

jodokus31 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:42 pm
coppercoil wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:06 pm
mrvn wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:13 pm
Or pump half the fluid to the left and the other half to the right
You can pump 1/2 of fluids by using circuits.
Yep, exactly.
use a tank with two directly connected pumps. connect wires to pumps and pump only, when tank is filled to a certain level not too low.
The pumping speed then depends on the level/flow of the pipe after the pump and indirectly the length of the pipeline and speed of consumption. It doesn't split 50/50 until one of the pipes is full but drifts away from 50/50 depending on the fullness on each side.

But if that is too nitpicky for you try splitting 1:2 or 3:4 or other ratios easily done with splitters.

Anyway, I think I used that once.

coppercoil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 348
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:14 am
Contact:

Re: What are the most impractical items in Factorio?

Post by coppercoil »

mrvn wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:27 am
The pumping speed then depends on the level/flow of the pipe after the pump and indirectly the length of the pipeline and speed of consumption.
No. You need storage tank right after the pump, and then another pump, no less.

mrvn wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:27 am
But if that is too nitpicky for you try splitting 1:2 or 3:4 or other ratios easily done with splitters.
We could start a contest for compact N:M fluid spliter design :)

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 4432
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:10 am
Contact:

Re: What are the most impractical items in Factorio?

Post by mrvn »

coppercoil wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:06 am
mrvn wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:27 am
But if that is too nitpicky for you try splitting 1:2 or 3:4 or other ratios easily done with splitters.
We could start a contest for compact N:M fluid spliter design :)
I challenge you to a 17:23 ratio. :) Easily done counting barrels but have fun trying it with pumps.

User avatar
jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1224
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:13 pm
Contact:

Re: What are the most impractical items in Factorio?

Post by jodokus31 »

coppercoil wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:06 am
mrvn wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:27 am
The pumping speed then depends on the level/flow of the pipe after the pump and indirectly the length of the pipeline and speed of consumption.
No. You need storage tank right after the pump, and then another pump, no less.
OK, i guess, that's needed for an quite exact splitting.
I use this system to distribute fluids equally to the 6 angels ore crystallizers of seablock. The pipes after are quite empty, because i overbuild crystallizers.
mrvn wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:16 am
I challenge you to a 17:23 ratio. :) Easily done counting barrels but have fun trying it with pumps.
Maybe a fun challenge, but whats the real purpose. I usually use 1:N or just straight prios and let the factory backup (also avoiding buffers)

...OK, ok, i believe that there are real purposes, but I wait until i need it :D

coppercoil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 348
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:14 am
Contact:

Re: What are the most impractical items in Factorio?

Post by coppercoil »

mrvn wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:16 am
I challenge you to a 17:23 ratio. :) Easily done counting barrels but have fun trying it with pumps.
I suggested a contest for ANY customisable ratio :). I think this is not a challenge for me, so I'm not interested in it without contestants.

BTW splitting fluids with barrels is not a feng shui in Factorio 8-)

Post Reply

Return to “General discussion”