Anyone use barrels?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Anyone use barrels?

Post by blazespinnaker »

Yoyobuae wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:53 pm
Additionally, the scanning feature of radars is useful in another way. Biter expansions are on a global cooldown. But biter expansions can only happen on explored map areas. If you explore a 4x larger area of the map then you would also dilute the probabilities of biter expansions happening near your factory by ~4x
Yeah, though I had to find the oil patch. I tried to be optimal about it, but I cranked resource frequency to zero, so I ended up doing a lot of exploring.

I replied to all the DW marathon related stuff from you, jdokus and Jim in this thread viewtopic.php?p=531222#p531222
OptimaUPS Mod, pm for info.

4xel
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by 4xel »

Back on topic, I am slowly starting to prepare a default setting speedrun, and I am contemplating the idea of using barrel fed flamethrowers for outpost defense (with the idea of feeding them only once), similar to Blaze's use of them in deathworld.

SuicideJunkie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SuicideJunkie »

Re: Radar
I like to put Radar+small power pole+solar panel as a standalone unit.
As long as the power is non-zero you can get vision around the radar, and it slowly explores during the day. Night is a problem but the pitch black is pretty short, and the pollution is zero.

I used barrels for all my oil processing in one game where my plan was for maximum cramming and organically grown spaghetti. I'd ended up with not enough room for pipes. So instead I had a belt carrying crude and empty barrels mostly underground through the warren, and mixed product barrels back on a sushi belt with logic wire to control it.

My SpaceEx spaceships also make use of barrels for the storage density. Acid for mines, and soon to come antimatter and coolant.
All the oily fluids are shot into orbit in barrels via cannon as well. Water gets to travel as ice chunks now, but used to be barrelled too.

Anywhere you want to hand-feed fluids on demand also needs to be barrel based.

bazzi
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by bazzi »

4xel wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:20 pm
Back on topic, I am slowly starting to prepare a default setting speedrun, and I am contemplating the idea of using barrel fed flamethrowers for outpost defense (with the idea of feeding them only once), similar to Blaze's use of them in deathworld.
Just wanted to post that :)
Feeding Flamethrower Turrets with Barrels workjs very well on remote outposts. Just buffer some in buffer chests there.

ShyLion
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ShyLion »

Barrels can share the same wagon with gun rounds, artillery shells, repair packs, the stuff i have to supply remote outposts with.
So, one wagon for supplies and others for outpost exports (ores, coal, stones, etc.)

I just build barrel unpacking plant with light oil tank right near train station and have my flame throwers fueled up all the time.

Dr.RichardEvans
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Dr.RichardEvans »

I have just filled thousands of barrels to clear up my first base, which had hundreds of thousands of ‘units’ of fluid (crude oil, petroleum, lubricant, heavy and light oil) stored in tanks. I am now able to use the logistic network and my rail network to ensure these barrels go to new areas with relative ease. This would have been much more difficult and time consuming without barrels.

Best,
R.

Challenger007
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Challenger007 »

ShyLion wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:46 am
Barrels can share the same wagon with gun rounds, artillery shells, repair packs, the stuff i have to supply remote outposts with.
So, one wagon for supplies and others for outpost exports (ores, coal, stones, etc.)

I just build barrel unpacking plant with light oil tank right near train station and have my flame throwers fueled up all the time.
Combining fuknktsy in a wagon - it is really convenient, because some start to drag their carts and half-empty on the map - it makes no sense.

mrsimple
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Usefulness of barrels

Post by mrsimple »

TL;DR
I want to introduce a new small scale fluid resource requirement for maintaining extra fast belts or remove the barrels.

What ?
I'm trying to pinpoint where it would be the best to use this idea but basically I'm trying to find a good usage for barrels. So far the best, non-workaroundable requirement would be the lubricating of extra fast belts via drones and barreled lubricant to keep them fast. If you don't lubricate them they slow down. It's similar to the function of coal inserters in terms of needing fuel to work but the fuel is barreled lubricant. This doesn't mean that drones would be the only way to feed this resource but it's pretty insane to have a maintenance line next to the transport line.
The exact recipe is that they need one barrel of lubricant as fuel and they produce one epmty barrel.
Previous but workaroundable requirement was the introduction of lubricant as a fuel requirement for late game production facilities but that would just change the recipes and that can be solved by pipes so it has no effect on barrel usage.
Why ?
Barrels are outdated and I tried to find examples in real file where we use barrels. Most of them are small scale examples so they won't fit this game. The only example I could find is rare usage of a certain resource, maintenance-like usage of a resource where you distribute fluids in smaller containers instead of big fluid containers. Even drones could just lubricate themselves in the hub which can be fed by pipes.
There is a big chance that this change would flip the community so I'm not saying that this change would improve the game with absolute certainty. My point is the uselessness of barrels at the moment and the only viable requirement for barreled fluids.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

joind with same subject
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Usefulness of barrels

Post by Hannu »

mrsimple wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:57 am
Barrels are outdated and I tried to find examples in real file where we use barrels. Most of them are small scale examples so they won't fit this game.
There are couple of uses. Barrels are very practical in machine workshops to produce blue belts and electric motors. They are also good in sulfuric acid delivery to small uranium mines. Barrels are handy for temporary setups, like starting coal liquefaction plant. There are much more needs for small amounts of liquids or bot delivered liquids in modded games and it is easier to make such mods if basic mechanic exist in vanilla game.

There is certainly other ways too to make same things without barrels but in my opinion many optional routes to same objective makes the game much more interesting and long lasting.

It is difference between Factorio and for example Dyson Sphere Program. DSP is a nice game too but at least I have difficult to decide what would be a new interesting thing to try in my third game. On the other hand, I have played about 20 games longer than 100 hours in Factorio with different mods and different sets of my own rules.

DaRealTriTi
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by DaRealTriTi »

I don't :/
I think that barrels are a waste and are a memory of before the fluid wagon (and it takes iron).
Just use fluid wagons

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

DaRealTriTi wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 8:06 am
I don't :/
I think that barrels are a waste and are a memory of before the fluid wagon (and it takes iron).
Just use fluid wagons
I really don't understand the notion: "If something is useless for me, it must be useless for everyone".
Especially, if there are 4 pages of this topic, where quite a big part says, that it is useful for them.
Fluid wagons can not replace every use case.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I use barrels in a logistic network to supply those kinds of low usage fluids, like heavy oil, lubricant and sulfuric acid for the mines. Spares a lot of pipes.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

nr2117
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by nr2117 »

4xel wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:26 pm
nr2117 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:28 pm
I did think about it, barrels are fun, but IRL for long distances pipelines require less logistics. Just have a pipe, pumps every certain distance, and monitor for pressure drops.

But in game? pipelines are still a bit confusing. I do put pumps in them at random, never really got a good feel of "I've done x undergrounds and y pipe segments, therefore I need a pump here."

I'm just always wondering why I have far more barrels then what I need. To the point I've had active provider chests fullof the damn things.
Uderground count the same as pipe (so 2 for a pair of undies).

You can find most of the answers here:
https://wiki.factorio.com/Fluid_system#Pipelines

If you need such a throughput over such a distance that it warrants pumps though, the reaonable alternative is fluid wagon, not barrel.
Hey, I know this is an old post but I just saw the reply now. That's useful, thanks.

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by netmand »

I use barrels where pipes and fluid carts are not desired:
- In my end-game balancing fluids are easier for me when they are barreled up. It is much easier building production and cracking clusters using barrels (employing logistic bots) then trying to balance fluid levels by elegantly designed production and cracking over pipe and tank networking.
- My frontier outposts are as small and tight as possible, so the supply delivery must only be one cart. I can deliver oil, ammo, bots, and various other replacement parts for the outpost in one cargo cart, keeping the train at only 1 locomotive + 1 cargo cart.
- My uranium mine train is only one cargo cart, delivering sulfuric acid by barrel rather than making the train longer by adding a fluid cart for such a small reason.

However, Using barrels is definitely not efficient. I tried watering a nuclear setup with barrels; it's not good. Also, Barrels take up chest storage space meaning that if carelessly implemented, empty barrels can quickly overwhelm your factory storage system versus storage tanks that just fill up and stop.

Return to “General discussion”