[POLL]Which major update do you think will end up being 1.0?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.

In your opinion, which Factorio major release would/should be declared 1.0 when it becomes stable?

2%
22%
37%
17%
7%
Nothing before 0.21
14%

Total votes: 99

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [POLL]Which major update do you think will end up being 1.0?

Post by Loewchen »

gsezz wrote:I don't think I want a 1.0.

I like the quick development, and reaction to feedback from the community. Everytime I stopped playing for a few month, there were exciting new features when I returned. I don't want this to stop.
I've seen a few early access games going to 1.0, and they all got boring because their evolution either stopped completely, or slowed down.
I suspect 1.0 to be more like a psychological (and legal) milestone and think the development will continue in some way, but having a finished game that does not change anymore and moving on with a completely new and different idea has it's own charm.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

It would make me very sad if development of Factorio stopped after 1.0, as the game still has a lot of potential for improvement.

So that these improvements can be financed, I would be willing to pay for an expansion pack.
Related thread:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58599 Factorio should have DLC.

However, the idea of Wube creating a completely new game also sounds nice, as long as Factorio is not completely neglected after that.

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by featherwinglove »

Loewchen wrote:
gsezz wrote: I suspect 1.0 to be more like a psychological (and legal) milestone and think the development will continue in some way, but having a finished game that does not change anymore and moving on with a completely new and different idea has it's own charm.
I've noticed that there is a fundamental difference between speedruns of Factorio and speedruns of typical never-getting-another-line-of-code-corrected games, especially when they get old. Can you spot it? About the only continuous development game where speed runs have been able to take advantage of glitches is Minecraft, and that's because certain things about it are so fundamental that they are either impossible to fix or not worth fixing. The latter is anathema to Wube and the former is impossible - there is no such thing as a glitch they can't fix.
Yeah, yeah, I don't wanna hear it :p
(There is still a charm to the glitchless run, which is why, for example, Super Mario 64 has 64 different categories.)

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

featherwinglove wrote:Can you spot it?
How popular is that video?! I mean... I saw it, and I also learned and understood how it works on a technical level. Quite interesting actually.

There is no way something like that ever happens in object oriented languages. Can anyone bring up ONE glitch in Factorio that helps speed runners?! (I accept anything that did occur in 0.12 or any latter version, stable only.)

I don't think there is one. You are right. This game is rock solid.

So... is there a need for a "fix" update like 0.18?

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Gergely wrote:
featherwinglove wrote:Can you spot it?
How popular is that video?!
I don't know about that exact video relative to most SMW zero-exit runs, I only picked it because it's short and one of the few videos I've found that doesn't have any technical discussion of the exploit in it. As to whether or not it can happen in an object-oriented language, it definitely can. These sorts of exploits also blur the line between speed running and security, which means that Heartbleed- and Meltdown-like exploits at the hardware level are theoretically possible (and typical wrong warp exploits, expecially SMW zero-exit already resemble this.) It would be quite interesting if someone found a speedrun exploit in a modern console game only to have it broken by a security patch that had no intention of affecting speed runners.

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

featherwinglove wrote:it definitely can.
That is actually just a flaw in the game's programming, not in Java. The underlying data structure is not broken. I believe it is a fixable issue. Also, it is of a different kind than the SMW credits warp. In SMW, you actually write data pointers and do some quarks so that the game reads them as code. In the video you provided, they still exploit something the developers overlooked but the code written by the one player was actually written to a place where it was meant to be executed.

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

They admitted that 0.17 won't be it.

Now... will it be 0.18?

At the time of writing, 0.18 is the most popular option.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Gergely wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:54 pm
Now... will it be 0.18?
I changed my vote to 0.19 becoming 1.0 at the earliest.

Reason being... honestly it seems like Factorio is now stuck in this neverending development hell more exprienced indie developers always warn newcomers about because of how wube gets carried away ripping out the soul of the game to build it anew, while taking longer and longer to do so without actually adding any more real value to the game. I know from the developmer perspective the work done seems necessary, but from a players perspective for example the UI rework wasn't necessary as most people are already accustomed to its simple elegance, same as with the render backend etc... So might as well place your bets on 0.19 because of how 0.18 then also becomes too big for one bite delaying parts into a 0.19 and so on. At least that's been the scheme of the last 3-4 major updates.

I wouldn't wonder if development progresses well into 2020 before they eventually have to face the hard reality that they have to call it a day even if it means some things are left unfinished if they ever want to get their hands on another project and don't want to release a game that's almost dead on release day because of how most of the target audience played it to oblivion during early access/alpha, including all available mods and whatnot and eventually got bored and moved on to something else and there not being a lot more fresh customers buying just because an 1.0 is being slapped onto the game's cover.

Currently there may be still a steady stream of new customers but that doesn't mean it will stay so forever. I don't say money is going to be the problem, but more the game's community slowly dying out with the same few people left in a small circle pretending it's not like that. Which I kinda get the feeling already lately when browsing the forum/reddit seeing there are fewer and fewer posts compared to like 3-4 years ago and new topics usually only being by latecomers posting stuff of which they think that they found a new way of doing things but in reality it just being something that's been posted like a million times already, most of which just has been buried and forgotten again.

They probably should have marked 0.15 as the end of development and made the stable-0.15 into 1.0 and everthing afterwards should have probably been work on Factorio 2 or an expansion and in the case of an expansion they could have released some of the stuff also for free for the vanilla version, like GUI rework and so on.

I mean, I don't want to down their work or something but the last 18-24 months kinda made me think that they have to become realistic once when setting deadlines... and their recent FF shows that they still aren't because the planned January 0.17-part1 release should have been like the 1.0 release already in the former roadmap... and in the new roadmap they are talking of things being like 6-9 months away even with a rough cut not including the bugfixing before 1.0... realistically speaking probably it really being another year due to an avalanche of unforseen problems during the bugfixing of 0.17 and subsequently 0.18 since they have changed so much without a broad audience testing it... with 1.0 release probably being scheduled somewhen in Q1/Q2 2020.

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

gsezz wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:36 pm
I don't think I want a 1.0.
After the infamous FFF #266, I understand exactly where you're coming from.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

MeduSalem wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:58 pm
Gergely wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:54 pm
Now... will it be 0.18?
I changed my vote to 0.19 becoming 1.0 at the earliest.
Yes indeed - at some point you have to shoot the technicians and start selling.
That time has long passed.
Point is - further polishing will not do the trick but shy away early adopters.
A new ending, giving the opportunity to carry over to "phase 2" onto another world (e.g. under ground / in an spacelab) would probably.

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

MeduSalem wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:58 pm
They probably should have marked 0.15 as the end of development and made the stable-0.15 into 1.0 and everthing afterwards should have probably been work on Factorio 2 or an expansion and in the case of an expansion they could have released some of the stuff also for free for the vanilla version, like GUI rework and so on.
I kinda agree to this...

They should declare the first stable version of v0.17 as the release v1.0, and rename v0.18 to v1.1! Minecraft style.

Just look at how much Minecraft has changed since it's own release version.

Return to “General discussion”