Complete the game in 8 hours achievement - time for a change?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Zomis
Inserter
Inserter

Complete the game in 8 hours achievement - time for a change?

Post by Zomis »

Ever since Achievements were introduced there's been a "Complete the game in 8 hours" achievement. This was however introduced in 0.14 I think, when recipes for science packs were different and there were only four kinds of science packs. Luckily I managed to finish the game in 6 hours back then, although I admit I wasn't 100% efficient.

As the game has gotten more and more complex (six different kinds now and you can't make science packs from killing aliens) I wonder: Should maybe this achievement be different now? Or how long does it take for the regular Factorio player to finish the game?

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Complete the game in 8 hours achievement - time for a change?

Post by zOldBulldog »

I just completed the 8 hour achievement. And I completely agree with you, no "average" player could do it. Heck, the average player doesn't launch a rocket and maybe he doesn't even design an oil plant. The 8 hour achievement is only for hardcore players, and of those only the most determined and stubborn.

With over 1000 hours of Factorio experience I ended up achieving it by using an excellent map that someone else had a found, a blueprint designed for Spoon that I still had to modify, and making so many compromises that it was embarrassing. Oh, and several tries.

I totally hated the process and I only tried it because I could not stand seeing that unfinished achievement every time I launched Factorio from Steam.

So, yes. Replace that horrid achievement. Terminate it with extreme prejudice!

sniderthanyou
Inserter
Inserter

Post by sniderthanyou »

I think it's okay for some achievements to be more easily obtained than others. Does it not taste so much sweeter to finally conquer a difficult challenge, than to be handed an easy victory? I like that some achievements are earned for casually playing the game, some for fun little tasks, and some that require careful planning and masterful execution.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Harder
More complex recipes
More raw resources needed

Easier
Blueprint importing
Picker tool to fill in the blueprints
Manual click-and-drag coal refilling

Overall it is a lot more reliant on creating (or copying) efficient blueprints ahead of time. The actual 8-hour run is not much harder than when it was introduced in 0.13.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

zOldBulldog wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:46 pm
I just completed the 8 hour achievement. And I completely agree with you, no "average" player could do it. Heck, the average player doesn't launch a rocket and maybe he doesn't even design an oil plant.
Oil refinery technology is opened by 55.5% of steam players: https://steamcommunity.com/stats/427520/achievements

ColonelSandersLite
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ColonelSandersLite »

By coincidence, I just finished my first spoon run moments ago!

This was my first attempt and I squeaked by at 7:59:43 with 79 tree kills.

I didn't do the run cold with no plan, and did not use somebody else's plan either. I spent days designing my own factory for this specific goal, then played it out over the course of two sittings.

Having learned from this run, I know I could probably shave at least two hours with a couple of relatively simple changes.

With some of the recipe changes that have been mentioned in the FFFs for upcoming versions, my opinion might totally change. For today though, I honestly just don't think this achievement is all *that* hard.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

darkfrei wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:15 am
Oil refinery technology is opened by 55.5% of steam players: https://steamcommunity.com/stats/427520/achievements
Some more intersting stats:

13.4% - Finish the game:
4.3% - So long and thanks for all the fish
1.7% - Finish the game within 15 hours
1.2% - Finish the game within 8 hours

So of the 55.5% who unlock oil processing...
24% of those go on to finish the game...
32% of those go on to hunt more achievements...
40% of those finish a 15 hour speed run...
71% of those finish a 8 hour speed run.

71% success rate from the 15 hour crowd is pretty good!

WeirdConstructor
Inserter
Inserter

Post by WeirdConstructor »

As player who only has played the game only ~120h: I launched only 2 rockets yet. All way beyond the 20h mark. For me 15h would mean that I have to focus a bit on only building the absolutely necessary stuff and pick a good map. 8h would be a real project and probably take me too many tries for me personally. I only have time to play in my rare free time when I don't have to take care of fixing stuff in my house or look after real life issues. All my 2 rocket games were scattered over 1-2 weeks until I was able to launch.

I think 8h is a great achievement, even though I may never finish it. Looking at rain9441, tsubodai and antielitz 100% speedruns you see that 8h is even possible with lazy bastard and preparing to build an efficient 20M green chip factory. Of course that takes some special kind of dedication or craziness. Taking speedruns (like 3h 35m for a rocket) as benchmark I could even think of adding another achievement at 6h or 7h or even 5h.

I have tons of game on steam and xbox where I have not finished most achievements. Usually I finish them by accident if at all. But I don't suffer from not being able to do an achievement.

bman212121
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by bman212121 »

I completely agree that the average player is never going to be able to get this one. You need to put in a lot of dedication in order to get this achievement. But that alone is also what makes it special, because not just anyone can do it. Even copying a blueprint from online I don't think an average player would reach the mark if they didn't know how to work fast and efficient. That said I will certainly wait until .17 drops to debate about how feasible it is to get this achievement anymore.

There is supposed to be tweaking to the science packs coming soon, and I'm fairly sure the tree is going to be extended once again, meaning you'll need even more resources to get the achievement. My friend and I picked this one up back in .15, and it took us a couple of tries before we had figured out the winning combination. We didn't use any pre planned maps or blueprints, just quick and efficient building skills. We did however setup a spreadsheet so we knew exactly how many packs to build, and how many resources we needed to get the rocket. A lot of getting the achievement is just stock piling the resources before you even have the research done, so you can get things done sooner without using more resources to build things like speed modules. I'm not actually sure I'd be able to solo this and not use pre planned blueprints. If .17 introduces a significant increase in resources again, it could be that it's beyond reach for people who have already gotten the achievement. What the cut off should be IDK, but it will be interesting to see if it does become out of reach for most people to get it again.

Rebmes
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rebmes »

I'm at 127 hours played, and haven't even launched a rocket! I've had the game since around the very beginning, and part of what keeps me coming back over and over, is the knowledge that there are many challenges remaining, and so much I haven't yet done. In my current game, I'm about to figure out nuclear power! If I complete this playthrough, and it's headed the right direction with a huge area decently barricaded against biters/spitters.

It's good that there are endgame challenges like the 8 hour launch, keeps us striving to become better.

Ayamari
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ayamari »

I think the 8 hours achievement is great, and if anything, harder achievements should be added! Achievements should require some effort, not be given out automatically just for having the game installed.
I had about ~500 hours in Factorio before I decided to finally sit down and do all the achievements, and it was really fun! And getting below 8 hours only took a few attempts (granted, I've seen AntiElitz and rain9441 do it before so had some idea what I was up to).

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

Ayamari wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:32 pm
I think the 8 hours achievement is great, and if anything, harder achievements should be added! Achievements should require some effort, not be given out automatically just for having the game installed.
I had about ~500 hours in Factorio before I decided to finally sit down and do all the achievements, and it was really fun! And getting below 8 hours only took a few attempts (granted, I've seen AntiElitz and rain9441 do it before so had some idea what I was up to).
Harder achievements that require you to think, yes. Brains, design and creativity are Factorio's bread and butter.

Twitchy finger achievements like spoon though are not that great for factorio, that is what FPS games are for :P

Ayamari
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ayamari »

Spoon isn't twitchy, at least in my opinion it isn't. 8 hours is more than enough time to execute any build you have planned (and perhaps practiced) earlier. It might not be enough if you're going in blind, but the expectation of having a plan fits Factorio reasonably well. Plus it is 8 hours in-game time. This means at any point in time, you can save, take a break, think what to do next, talk to a friendly calculator or a spreadsheet, prepare a blueprint, then come back to the saved game tomorrow, or next weekend. Then you put in another hour, save, update your plan, re-calculate, and so on. You don't need to sit 8 hours straight at the computer constantly building and running around and having no time to think. That is what speedrunners do, but that is not a requirement of this achievement :P

You also don't have to do it alone, you can get a group of friends (or random innocent bystanders from the Factorio forums :P) and do the achievement in multiplayer. This way you have less pressure, can take more time to build, and blame the others :P
And speaking of speedrunners, the current record for finishing the multiplayer game on 0.16.x with 8 players is 2 hours and 12 minutes (https://www.speedrun.com/Factorio#Any_Multiplayer), which leaves 5 hours and 48 minutes to think, plan and discuss and still make it in time for the achievement.

It is a completely different thing, whether or not you enjoy having a strict time limit. If a couple of achievements have a time limit, I think it is perfectly fine, if half or more of them do, then that could be a problem. I personally prefer to not have a time limit, but still found doing the time limited achievements a really fun challenge! :) ... and a nice variation of playstyle, you learn new things to do it faster.

ColonelSandersLite
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ColonelSandersLite »

Ayamari wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:32 am
Spoon isn't twitchy, at least in my opinion it isn't. 8 hours is more than enough time to execute any build you have planned (and perhaps practiced) earlier. It might not be enough if you're going in blind, but the expectation of having a plan fits Factorio reasonably well.
Agreed 100%.

In my run, the last few hours where actually downright dull. I started getting bots and roboports out in the field at around the 4 hour mark. From there on, the factory was self building. After that, it was pretty much just crafting the occasional oddball item that my factory didn't make, tuning splitter priorities, clicking new research, and occasionally placing a new blueprint to que up the next portion of the build.

Eugene2003
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Eugene2003 »

Zomis wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:56 pm
Ever since Achievements were introduced there's been a "Complete the game in 8 hours" achievement. This was however introduced in 0.14 I think, when recipes for science packs were different and there were only four kinds of science packs. Luckily I managed to finish the game in 6 hours back then, although I admit I wasn't 100% efficient.

As the game has gotten more and more complex (six different kinds now and you can't make science packs from killing aliens) I wonder: Should maybe this achievement be different now? Or how long does it take for the regular Factorio player to finish the game?
I would consider myself a "normal" Factorio player and my fastest time launching a rocket is about 24 hours. I am currently in the process of trying to do it in 15 or less hours.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Eugene2003 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:12 am
Zomis wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:56 pm

I would consider myself a "normal" Factorio player and my fastest time launching a rocket is about 24 hours. I am currently in the process of trying to do it in 15 or less hours.
OK, lets have a look at the fastest time in default settings: ~2:35
https://www.speedrun.com/Factorio#Default_Settings

A regular player has 3 times more time to get it. I don't think, its unrealistic, if its an "achievement". You have to have a plan or at least know how you are doing it efficiently

BTW: Fun fact: The fastest players also gets 100% all achievements in under 8 hours :D
https://www.speedrun.com/Factorio#100

0.16 was a lot harder back then

blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by blazespinnaker »

If you're having troubles with this, I very highly recommend co-op mode!

Lots of fun. I joined a group blindly just off a random reddit post and first time, we did it under 3 hours. The record is 73 minutes I believe.

I made it my job to put in all the power poles and belts as I really had no idea what was going on with that blueprint they put down. Everyone seemed pleased with my contribution.

In fact, post in multiplayer with details and I'd be happy to join your world and help out.
OptimaUPS Mod, pm for info.

Return to “General discussion”