Blueprint Android app

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
CelestialForge
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Blueprint Android app

Post by CelestialForge »

I have been working on an android based app that currently reads export strings into readable code. Next step is to provide a visual representation of the blueprint. Future steps may involve editing blueprints before exporting to encoded strings again.

However, my question for the Factorio team is this: may I release this app to the public (at no cost but with advertisment inclusion)? Or does that step on someone's legal toes? Basically I'm just looking for a go ahead to use the graphics you have already created to display the blueprints also created in your game.

Thanks a bunch.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Blueprint Android app

Post by Klonan »

This sort of query is solved by emailing to factorio@factorio.com

CelestialForge
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by CelestialForge »

Thank you.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

And watch which battery icon you use.

CelestialForge
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by CelestialForge »

I see that this thread has recieved a lot of views. So I would like to mention that the project has been cancelled due to asset restriction.

"Unfortunately we cannot allow any 3rd party project use any of our game art assets, Especially if they would be distributed outside of our game, such as bundled with your app."

And using third party assets would diminish the feel of the application, and visualization of the blueprints was the entire focus of the app. I do not have any ill will against the developers but this has made me sad.

Sorry to have raised any hopes.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

CelestialForge wrote:"Unfortunately we cannot allow any 3rd party project use any of our game art assets, Especially if they would be distributed outside of our game, such as bundled with your app."
What does that imply about reddit blueprint-visualizatoin bots and all the recipe/ratio calculator websites that are linked on this very forum?

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

eradicator wrote:
CelestialForge wrote:"Unfortunately we cannot allow any 3rd party project use any of our game art assets, Especially if they would be distributed outside of our game, such as bundled with your app."
What does that imply about reddit blueprint-visualizatoin bots and all the recipe/ratio calculator websites that are linked on this very forum?
Hmm...

I think it's the same basic idea, with the only two differences being that the app might have ads (i.e. profiting off the artwork) and the files are more directly distributed than some other means - for example, the Reddit bot only gives the final image, not individual sprites, and many of those web calculators have the images embedded (so they could be accessed, although they aren't permanently downloaded to your device, and they might be a smaller resolution), whereas this app would have to download all the sprites directly to your filesystem - which is more accessible in Android - which might raise some issues. I think a lot of it depends on how far Wube decides to pursue this, but I think that this app does go a bit farther than some of those others.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Return to “General discussion”