Factorio should have DLC.

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
rldml
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Factorio should have DLC.

Post by rldml »

Deadlock989 wrote:If you want to split a community into haves and have-nots, that's your call, but I'd prefer it wasn't this one.
This is not my intention.

But i would appreciate that the development continues after 1.0. As long as they can sell enought copies this will surely happen. I talk about a period after that.
I've sworn off Early Access because I've been burned so many times, but with these guys, I would pre-order Factorio 2 if they announced it today for EA release in 2020. Or whatever Wube do next, even if it's some completely different kind of game.
Same to me - but i still hope, they simply extend the existing game continously instead of coding a new game. There are so much topics left what can be done better in vanilla, there is no need for a nicer looking part 2 of the game with equal base mechanics.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

DLC isn't the end of the world. Premium backers were basically paying extra to get DLC bonuses. No one is going to look at the golden pickaxe DLC and get mad because someone else spent the extra $5 to get an unfair advantage in pickaxing. Fite me.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

No-one said it was the end of the world. There is actually a continuum between "this is fine", "this sucks bin juice out of Nigel Farage's pants" and "this is the literal end of all things".

rldml
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by rldml »

Just let us hope, that the sales of factorio will be that great, that Wube will do this job hopefully for a long time and still add some nice features (and modding options :D ) after 1.0

This would surely be the best thing, that could possibly happen.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

SirLANsalot wrote:What would a DLC even look like for Factorio? The game itself is nearly perfect, there is very little they could add without doing something un-necessary.

However two ideas do come to mind. Space and Underground addons.
Although I agree that a space and an underground addon would be nice, in my opinion, the first addon to do would be a "water addon", i.e. to make water more useful, for example underwater mining, oil platforms, cargo ships, player swimming, etc.

Related threads:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=58795 Underwater Nodes
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=52686 Cargo ships
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5419 Cargo ship
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2037 bridges, boats, oceans, depleting water
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5027 The Water!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3521 Ships

Many of these links were taken from this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=4806 Frequently Suggested Ideas

Also, here is another link from the "Frequently Suggested" sub-forum:
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=14024 Travel over Water: Boats, Ships, Canus / Bridges / Tunnels

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Deadlock989 wrote:Is Factorio in some kind of financial trouble? Or are people just inventing a problem so they can claim to have solved it?

Can we not just have one single good game that is free of all this DLC / lootcrate / microtransaction squeezing-blood-from-a-stone pox? If you want to split a community into haves and have-nots, that's your call, but I'd prefer it wasn't this one.

I've sworn off Early Access because I've been burned so many times, but with these guys, I would pre-order Factorio 2 if they announced it today for EA release in 2020. Or whatever Wube do next, even if it's some completely different kind of game.
I doubt they have any major financial difficulties. In they last 3 years, they've sold over 1.2 million copies, which at $20 apiece is $24 million - $8 million a year over 3 years, and I'd guess that that's rising. It looks like they employ 17 people, so even after paying Steam's cut, utilities, whatever fees and costs they have to pay, etc., I don't think they're hurting too badly. My guess would be that they think the game is easily worth that much (which it is), and that the extra revenue will help in expanding the team, saving some money for future endeavors and in the case that anything happens or sales slow down
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hannu »

Deadlock989 wrote:If you want to split a community into haves and have-nots, that's your call, but I'd prefer it wasn't this one.
In my opinion possibilities to choose suitable DLCs for my playstyle would be more valuable than uniform community. There are already mods but DLCs could make more deep changes to game mecahnics. It is already clear that players want very different things and actually play very different games because of mods and personal rules. I see it as strength of the game and community instead of problem which should be solved by forcing everyone to same strict form.

rldml
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by rldml »

Jap2.0 wrote:
Deadlock989 wrote:Is Factorio in some kind of financial trouble?
I doubt they have any major financial difficulties. In they last 3 years, they've sold over 1.2 million copies, which at $20 apiece is $24 million - $8 million a year over 3 years, and I'd guess that that's rising.
Factorio costs less money in a lot of countries, so your calculation is very optimistic (https://steamdb.info/app/427520/). No employee of wube has ever told us, how the financial situation of Wube looks right now, so i don't see any reason for speculation.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

rldml wrote:
Jap2.0 wrote:
I doubt they have any major financial difficulties. In they last 3 years, they've sold over 1.2 million copies, which at $20 apiece is $24 million - $8 million a year over 3 years, and I'd guess that that's rising.
Factorio costs less money in a lot of countries, so your calculation is very optimistic (https://steamdb.info/app/427520/). No employee of wube has ever told us, how the financial situation of Wube looks right now, so i don't see any reason for speculation.
Sure, it's wild speculation, and sure, it's probably less, but I still see no reason to think that Wube is in dire financial straits. Even at the lowest price on steam, they're making over $10 million ($3 million/year before costs).
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hellatze »

Jap2.0 wrote:
rldml wrote:
Jap2.0 wrote:
Sure, it's wild speculation, and sure, it's probably less, but I still see no reason to think that Wube is in dire financial straits. Even at the lowest price on steam, they're making over $10 million ($3 million/year before costs).
with that budget i hope they add z axis, and space feature.

please ?

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Well space construction could make a decent post 1.0 dlc/expansion.

Hellatze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Hellatze »

Zavian wrote:Well space construction could make a decent post 1.0 dlc/expansion.
they dont care anyway.

this game already finished.

rldml
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by rldml »

Hellatze wrote:
Zavian wrote:Well space construction could make a decent post 1.0 dlc/expansion.
they dont care anyway.

source?

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

rldml wrote:
Hellatze wrote:
they dont care anyway.

source?

Don't bother with him. [Moderated by Koub]

He wants like 10 million additional features for free because he is bored with the Vanilla game and since people have been telling him so many times already that the devs are focusing on finishing the basic game before looking into additional content in form of a DLC/Expansion or whatever (which has been the official stance for the past 2 years now), now he reacts like this [Moderated by Koub]

He doesn't even remotely try or want to understand that they are finishing the game first and THEN maybe look into additional content. [Moderated by Koub]

And what is more... even if the devs should decide not to bring a DLC ever and rather move on with an entirely different project altogether (which they honestly deserve after all those years being stuck working on Factorio) then it is still their damn business and not his. He is absolutely in no position whatsoever to judge the devs for that [Moderated by Koub]

[Koub] No personal attacks please.

lovewyrm
Inserter
Inserter

Post by lovewyrm »

I don't like DLC even if it's just by name.

Sell developer made campaigns, mods, etc.

They used to call this "expansion" back in the days.
I'd buy a factorio expansion at some point.

Not too many and too often, though. I still have my cutlass and jolly roger around somewhere.

Return to “General discussion”