Gameplay drop

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
MrHick
Inserter
Inserter

Gameplay drop

Post by MrHick »

Is it me or did the number of streams and YouTube videos drop sharply in last week?

I really enjoyed that twitch interview with the devs and the streamers the other day, thank you Twinsen that was informative and really appreciated and you came in to the enemy territory after that FFF. :lol:

On my 120+hr belt base I just added 10 new bot mining outposts and really don’t want to build more and then rebuild. Base is all belt and trains but all the mining is bot.

My friend’s also say they are not playing but waiting to see what happens.

Is anyone else dropped playing until this bot thing gets figured out?

Edited for being an idiot,.
Last edited by MrHick on Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Gameplay drop

Post by Bilka »

MrHick wrote:I really enjoyed that twitch interview with the devs and the streamers the other day, thank you Klonan that was informative and really appreciated and you came in to the enemy territory after that FFF. :lol:
That was Twinsen, not Klonan :P

I think a lot of people are waiting for the splitter change, a decision on belts vs bots, and/or compression fixes. They dont want to build things if they will have to redo them anyway. The same thing happens before any major release, just with bigger changes and for a higher number of players.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

MrHick
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MrHick »

Bilka wrote: That was Twinsen, not Klonan :P
Yes I am an idiot, Twinsen was in the voice chat with you, Mojo and the streamers, Klonan and Rseding where in text chat talking sh.. hehehehe that was funny as hell.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

Is there any recording of this? I would gladly watch it myself

MrHick
Inserter
Inserter

Post by MrHick »

Found it but can't post a link.
YouTube look for Xterminator video from 4 days a go named something like discussion with the devs.

rcp27
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by rcp27 »

Perhaps people had gameplay videos they recorded over the holiday period that they’ve been posting, and are now back at work with less time to make videos?

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

PacifyerGrey wrote:Is there any recording of this? I would gladly watch it myself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVhxgUVa34U
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

neoc
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by neoc »

Whatever they do with bots (unless they remove logistic bots) - there will be mods to revert the nerfs.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

MrHick wrote:Is anyone else dropped playing until this bot thing gets figured out?
Is that a thing? Do people actualy stop playing because of this flamewar? That would be sad. Personally i just play when i want to. And if some change breaks something then i just rebuild that part of my base. (Triple -> Single Fluid wagons, hellow...)
neoc wrote:Whatever they do with bots (unless they remove logistic bots) - there will be mods to revert the nerfs.
Nerfing them in vanilla while preserving the ability to completely revert all changes would probably be the best solution as it pleases both sides :P.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

eradicator wrote:
neoc wrote:Whatever they do with bots (unless they remove logistic bots) - there will be mods to revert the nerfs.
Nerfing them in vanilla while preserving the ability to completely revert all changes would probably be the best solution as it pleases both sides :P.
I disagree. For me, mods are a way to cheat. No surprise mod usage disables achievements. Vanilla is the way the game is intended to work and be balanced. So vanilla playing is legit, playing with mods is cheating. Therefore, both are not equivalent, and I militate in favour of what I think should be in vanilla, because if I didn't, I'd have to cheat to play, which I dislike.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

Koub wrote: I disagree. For me, mods are a way to cheat. No surprise mod usage disables achievements. Vanilla is the way the game is intended to work and be balanced. So vanilla playing is legit, playing with mods is cheating. Therefore, both are not equivalent, and I militate in favour of what I think should be in vanilla, because if I didn't, I'd have to cheat to play, which I dislike.
Mostly same for me. I do play with mods tho but I use only convinience ones and no game changers. Mostly ones that every sane Factorio player uses.
For example:
- Bottleneck
- Upgrade planner
- Laser beam turrets
- EvoGUI
- Long Reach (sometimes)
New interesting ones:
- Dectorio
- Bullet Trails

BTW in my mods list there are difinitely some hints for devs of what should be added to vanilla for it to be self-efficient.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Koub wrote:I disagree. For me, mods are a way to cheat. No surprise mod usage disables achievements. Vanilla is the way the game is intended to work and be balanced. So vanilla playing is legit, playing with mods is cheating. Therefore, both are not equivalent, and I militate in favour of what I think should be in vanilla, because if I didn't, I'd have to cheat to play, which I dislike.
If vanilla was the only intended way to play then factorio wouldn't have mod support at all. But infact the mod support is extensive, continuously growing, devs make their own mods and modders even become devs themselfs. Let alone the fact that the whole idea of factorio was born out of a minecraft mod. But...i really don't want to go into an extensive discussion about that here, especially not if your stance is "mods == cheats", which i'm not even going to comment on ;).

(Also i'll add that the original statement was half joking, as indicated by the ":P" at the end. I was fairly certain that some people would argue something about "achivements" like you did if the flamewar was actually resolved like that.)
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

That's why I don't want to remove mod support, and I hope there will be always more games that will have mod support, for people to adapt the game to their needs, and make their experience different from vanilla if they want. But Vanilla must be the standard, and the mods be a deliberate choice to alter it.

It's like when you play Doom. Should you type iddqd to have invincibility, while you get damage in vanilla ? Or should you be invincible in vanilla, and activate the cheatcode to actually be able to be damaged ?

There are some mods whose content should be in vanilla (maybe not the exct same mod, but the feature). This has already been done, for some of them (nuclear power, blueprint strings, ...) and I hope some others will get added (like upgrade planner, LTN, time tools, better fluid colors, even distribution, what is it used for, cut and paste...) Essentially QoL and visual changes.

Also, purely cosmetic change are OK for me, because they do not change the vanilla experience (exemple different colors for colorblind, other graphics, ...).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “General discussion”